Delete, and change...

OK… this is an idea i just had some time ago…
Since dreams are sometimes representations of things that occured to us, is it possible we could deleat bad memories, expiriences so that when we wake up, we wold completly forget that memory?
And is it also possible that with LD, one person can change his self, like his personality, and shape his personality like wathever he likes???
Dont worry, im not entending in do this ideas to myself, couse i simply like what i am :tongue: ( realy, i do :grin: ).

But, what are your ideas about this subject?

I don’t know if anyone has done this successfully before, but it might be possible.

Pedro (a user on the forum) is trying to edit his own subconscous at the moment. So far he has been able to create false memories so vivid that they are impossible to tell apart from real memories (of course he remembers creating them in the first place). His brain-hacking post can be found here.

this might not be something you would want to do.

i’ve taken an introductory course in psychology, and from what i’ve learned, many people already keep disturbing thoughts and emotions from rising to the concious level of their minds. this is called repression, and if a person is trying to push down too much, they will suffer from generalized anxiety, prob ably caused by the expense of mental energy being used to push down these undesirable thoughts and emotions.

considering that our minds are much more powerful then we know, i would tend to believe that making our minds forget something it knows would be a difficult task.

besides, erasing memories would not be the best way to deal with them. just putting them out of your mind does not truly solve the problem. the only way to cure these undesireable memories is to accept them and move on, not to try to pretend they dont exist.

but who knows- maybe it is possible. it would be a good question for an experienced lucid dreamer.

man :eek:
Couldnt that be dangerous stuff?
I mean…
What if he would create a memoy but not remember he created it…
Just imagine the things it could happen…

Firstly, I’m pretty sure this is impossible. I mean, any false memory that you have may not actually exist, you might just think it does. If that makes sense. Secondly, it’s a really bad idea - Despite the fact that he has a lego toy as his avatar, Chief Loki knows what he’s talking about on this one.

lego toy???

that is no lego toy!

ever play halo?

I think it can help how you feel about yourself, and in effect change your confidence and personality. If you feel insecure about speaking in crowds or public speaking I think you can overcome some amount of anxiety. If I have a certain event that requires me to be exposed or express myself to the public I usually can reduce my anxiety through dreams and lucidity. Before sleep I can give the intent on dreaming of solutions and ideas for the next day, and I usually wake with a raise in confidence for the day about the event. I think it helps me feel more comfortable about “riding on the flow of events” instead of trying to “rehearse perfection.” However, the dreams doesn’t necessarily have to be in full lucidity. Although a certain skill of high awareness in dreams is required.

I’m suspicious about “erasing” memories, but I think our regular memories are re-shaped by our dreams each night. I think everyone has had the thought “oh yea, that was in a dream” when something similar reminds them of it in waking life. Or some memories are re-played and can add false memories when later recalled. Certain psychosis disorders are defined by people being unable to determine dream memories from real memories. Some studies have the theory that dreams are used by the brain to sort through the days memories and determine what should be remembered or deleted.
I personally think that it’s impossible to “delete” any memory, and that it lives somewhere in your brain (or elsewhere) forever.

well put DA. To delete a memory we would need to forget it, to forget it we need to stop thinking about it, to stop thinking about it we shouldnt think about deleting it. Nice little circle that you cant do once yhou ahve started it trust me.

I know it is possible to change a memory. i have done this. also to experince a memory that you thought so so real ou must hagve done it.

inside a dream where you are standing there at your old house for example and you know 100% that you moved in there 2 days ago you just know it. this is what i call a dream memory. For you havent really moved in you just think inside the dream that you have.

I used to think that lucidity fixed this problem. even in some of my mosst powerful LD i still have Dream memories. i am can think back to my waking lifer and just know that this action happened, even apon awakening i have to really sort it out just to be sure that my dream actually aultered this memory or whats not, or did it really happen. Have you ever had a feeling did that really happen or was it jsut a dream?

As for chaning your personality yes that is possible as well, although it can take a while some asspects of our selves we dont like no matter how myuch we try and cover it up. i spent a month changing my personalty through lding and just thinking about it chaning, it was until i founf that part of myself in a ld and killed it that it hasnt bothered me anymore.

it is a good habbit to remove the bad things in your life no matter wht they are but it is also good to understand to love your self for who you are. (dare i go on) no iwont u get the idea.

Anyway

Richard