things to be afraid while lucid dreaming

is it true that if you get to excited in a ld that you can have a heart attack in real life?

scary thoughts, but simething that scares me are false awakening. How common are they and what do u do about them?

FA’s scare you? What? Their like anyother dream and they are quite common. Everytime you wake up do a RC. That way if you get a FA you’ll do a RC and either go Lucid or wake up.
DaturaSpectrum: Yes it’s true probably never happens and is almost impossible for it to happen but ya it happens and it can.

Don’t worry about it, DaturaSpectrum - that’s just because your heart rate in a dream seems to match the real one. They aren’t seperate. Unless you have a good chance of getting a heart attack in real life, you needn’t worry about one in your dreams.

the main thing i fear in Lucid Dreams is WAKING UP!

People take movies too seriously. Dreaming takes place in your mind. OOBE’s are most likely just dreams/hallucinations. Some people stop breathing in their sleep. It’s called sleep apnea, but it’s rare and probably not your problem. And as for meeting the dead… No. The dead are dead. Dreaming is a mental phenomenon, not a gateway to another world. Again, I refer to the example of pilots in training haveing "OOBE"s while in a centrifuge. During times of stress you hallucinate. Your mind presents you with pretty pictures of floating, or flying, or detachment from your body to ease the stress caused the by knowledge (or imagined knowledge) of your impending doom.

I dream about being under water all the time. I hold my breath as long as I can because I believe I will drown. AFter a while I can’t do it anymore and I start breathing, and then I just believe that I can breathe underwater. But the point is it’s nigh impossible to consciously hold your breath until you asphixiate. Eventually, your oxygen-starved brain would deny you consciousness, and you would begin breathing again. B’dur. And as for having a heart attack from a dream: very unlikely. Seriously, you’d have to be in really poor health for something that your mind produces naturally to kill you. I doubt the very worst nightmares put you in any kind of danger. Think about it. Have you ever awakened from a nightmare and felt thoroughly exhausted? Your body really doesn’t work that hard when you’re having a nightmare.

So don’t be scared at all! You won’t die. You won’t meet the dead. You may get scared from time to time, but it’s far more likely that you’ll just have A LOT of fun. Onward, aspiring oneironaut!

I have had dreams in which my dream self dies and I am suddenly at my dream selfs funeral as some other character. I have had dreams in which I have felt pain as well. However, these things make the dream more vivid and have ended up being what I rank as some of my most worthwhile dream.
Really, there is nothing to worry about in dreams. Remember that what is in the dream world is in the dream world. Personaly I have not experienced anything to sugest the opposit (please send a message to me if you have experienced the contrary). The dreams which you experience extream bliss or pain are commonly the most vivid. In the long run, you may determin that your most vivid experiences have been the ones most worth while. This can be true in the Dream World or in RL.

I too fear waking up and missing out on the lucid goodness :cry:

Yes, I must say that my greatest fear in lucid dreams is waking up :smile:

Actually, in a lucid dream a while ago I was afraid to yell anything thinking that I would yell in real life :smile: You should have heard me…

This is a dream… I am lucid in a wisper! I laughed at my stupidity later on.

Really, I don’t believe for a second that lucid dreams can pull us over to evil. If that was true, then this forum would be a pretty crazy place. More crazy than it is now!

The only thing you’d really have to worry about is body paralyse (or however you spell it). You don’t get paralysed for life, and it cane be quite a claming sensation (or so I’ve heard). The one you’ve got to be worried about is the one accompanied with extreme fear :eh:.

But even, there’s no danger :content:.

Actually that happened to me once, in my third or fourth LD. I was worried if I shouted commands I would wake up the rest of my family. Was a bit stupid really.

Anyway - I’m afraid I have to agree with nerdcore that dreams are a mental process and nothing more. The only thing there is to be scared of in LDs is having a bad experience. But even then, you’re probably less likely to have a bad experience when you’re lucid than in a normal dream…

Me too,
I woke up and realised I couldnt breath, something was blocking my throat and nose, I ran to the bathroom all scared, drank some water, and slowly regained my breathing, I was really scared…but ended up ok :smile:

-GG

Yes, it really is horible when you wake up to find you can’t breath. It definatley wasn’t a dream.

I gulped several times and my throat cleared.

How can you be sure? If you can’t understand this mental phenomenon then how can you make assumptions about what it does and doesn’t allow.

have you tested this theory?

Lol, how do you know it isn’t slowly going crazy. It’s just that as you go crazy with it, everything seems normal.

I agree… I’ve had dreams where I’m underwater and not breathing. Different than holding my breath. There wasn’t a need to breath at all… while in real life, the breathing would be normal.

About the breathing in a dream. I believe that breating patterns in a dream to correspond to regular breathing. This is because the only LD I had was because I was swimming in my ND and I went underwater and I could still breath. I did a RC and realized I was dreaming. Unfourtanatly the dream ended soon after and I didn’t remember to do the ‘spinning technique’

nerdcore, you should really read some of the work of Robert Moss. Much of his work is extremely difficult to argue with, and really seem to prove your statement false. He’s not the only one, either… there is a lot of good literature out there with very solid information, with experiments to back it up, that really contradict this kind of attitude. Many people talk about different levels of dreams, and other lucid phenomena that can bring us to different realities. These phenomena are very rare, and so rarely critically observed, being thrown into that huge category of “dreams”. I’m not talking about the astral plane or OBE’s. Too many people look at those and decide they are false and stop the thought process at that. It’s impossible to remain so close-minded about the topic of dreams. So little is know about them still, and theories change constantly. I remember when you brought this attitude to the religious thread… :eek: didnt really get anyone anywhere. By the way, where’s your avatar? I liked those sneakers…

By the way, sticking with this topic, what I’m talking about is nothing to be afraid of. You can’t get “stuck”, and you can’t get hurt. Like I said… we think these phenomena are extremely rare, and even more rare for someone not deliberately trying to access them.

Even if i was in a ND or a LD i would still be scared if i was not breathing!
unless i got used to not doing it in them!

same here… but you can force yourself to “breathe” while dreaming… it’s very hard to do and feels weird, as the sensation of your body breathing and the sesnation of your dream body breathing probably tend to want to synch to one another

and it’s very hard to make yourself breathe in water in a dream, but very cool too…

lately i’ve had dreams where i become aware of my breathing and feel like i’m slowly suffocating and then i wake up kind of low on air…

I’m not sure if it’s apnea or what, but it happens while on my SIDE… and apnea most certainly should not happen while on your side at all, should it/

I usually am at a weird downward angle though, so that could be it.

Why do you think it’s hard? I’m sure I could do it easily - in fact, just by going underwater. That’s because I can usually breathe through a shut nose when I’m dreaming. :smile: