Wierd "lifting trick"

The agent smiths must’ve seen me typing this, because my browser decided to erase my post before I could post it. Arrgghh

A few years back, when I was still in high school, a group of kids from my grade came in at lunch time, and said to me “hey try this with us! try this with us!”. Being wary of them playing a prank on me, I declined. They simply got someone else, and went ahead with it. The 4 of them each stood around the teachers desk. They each took a corner, and tried to lift it using nothing but their first two fingers on each hand, which proved difficult, as it was quite heavy because it was filled with lots of big books. Then they put it down, and each put out their hands, palms facing down, over the desk. It was like this: person 1 puts in their right hand, person 2 puts in their right hand above person 1’s hand without touching it. Then person 3 puts their right hand in, then person 4. Then person 1 puts in their left hand above person 4’s right hand, and then everyone else does in the same order as their right hands. Apparently, if anyone touched, you had to start over again.

Anyway, they held their hands like that, and counted to 8. After that, they tried lifting the same way as before. The desk lifted as if it were no heavier than a piece of paper! Not exaggerating one bit! “HOLY! That’s the best one we’ve done yet!” One of them said. I was awestruck.

This trick spread through the school like wild fire, almost everyone in highschool was doing it (its a small town school). There were skeptics, but there were just as many believers too. Most people were lifting people with the trick, I heard that that was the thing you were supposed to do when doing it. Some would carry people around for a while, until they got “heavy” again, and had to put them down. It even worked on some really big guys. The heaviest thing I saw lifted was a big guy sitting on a desk

Naturally, something this cool wouldn’t last, and everyone pretty much quit by day 3. However, I overheard a cool thing that day.

The people who originally showed me the trick were talking amongst themselves. The subject of the trick came up, and how everyone was giving it up. Then I overheard this: “I don’t think we should tell anyone that we lifted a truck”…I slowly turned around… “you guys lifted A TRUCK!?” They sort of gave me that oh crap, there goes our secret look, but I guess they decided they didn’t care. “Yeah, it only got off the ground by an inch, but we did it.”

But the coolest thing of all was yet to happen.

Many months after that week, my then 5 year old cousin came over to visit. For some reason, the lifting trick popped into my head. I figure, hey what the heck, might as well give it a go. I explained it to him, and he didn’t really want to do it at first, but I managed to coax him into it. So then we go off to find something to lift that will work for just the two of us. I decide to try an old rocking chair in our basement. He tried to lift it normally, but even with my help on the other side, he could only get it a bit off the ground trying his hardest. So then we do the trick. It doesn’t really work, and he wants to give up. I tell him one more time, because it takes more than one try, and he agrees. So we tried again. Once again… I was awestruck… he lifted his side of the chair OVER HIS HEAD!!" We smoothly move it back down, so he won’t get stuck in mid lift and get hurt. “HOLY!” was his remark.

You’d think after something like that happened to him, he’d be amazed by it. I know I would if I was 5 years old, I’d be totally mystified! But he was ready to do something else, and didn’t give it any more though. Oh well, he was just a 5 year old. I think I’ll bring it up again sometime now that he’s older…

Anyway, that’s my story. Has anyone ever heard of this before? Does it have a name? Do you have any information on it?

that’s confusing, so are you saying they didn’t even touch the object they were lifting, they just put their hands over it and it lifted? if that’s the case than i won’t believe it until i see it…

No, I’m saying that after the hand thing, they lifted it with their hands, and it seemed as if it weighed no more than a piece of paper. Sorry about that

Maybe it’s just a placebo, you’re sort of hypnotized into using all your strength when you are lifting the object without really noticing it.

Or maybe it is some super magical spirit energy that flows from your hands and into the object before you lift it :tongue: (That’s not my personal opinion of course, I’ll stick to the placebo theory).

This went round a couple of people at my school for about one day. Then everyone got sick of it :tongue:.
It’s based on a witchcrat thingy (actually, it was first introdcued to us by some girls who had tried out a little witchcraft).

It really isn’t that amazing and if you ever tried to intorcue it at my school, you’d get punched :razz:.

i tried it and it seemed to work… but i’d agree with the placebo theory. but, i would like to see those kids lift a truck in such a way.

Yeah that’s a nice trick. A while ago, we did this in yoga class: we lifted a person with normal weight only with the aid of four fingers, ofcourse after we synchronized our minds and repeated a mantra for a few minutes. It’s kinda like some hypnotic effects you see in shows. I’ve never read any explanation though… Perhaps it’s the same as doing things in LDs: if you believe you can or if you believe you can’t, either way, you’re right.

Yeah, my summer school math teacher did this to me, he got a few members of the class to lift me. They couldnt do it before repeating a few words and joining hands. The rituals are all different. I read in a “Kids’ Shenanigans” book (Klutz) that it worked very well. Anyways they were all astonished that four fingers could lift 25 lbs each and one of the girls was so surprised I was lifted so easily that she let go and sent me to the floor…

I learned this trick from that book too! :cool_laugh: I’ve only tried it once, but it was cool as hell. Now I can’t find that book…
The only other thing that boogles me is that if 4 figers can easily lift like 25 pounds, why does it require a mantra to do it? :confused:

If you believe you can or if you believe you can’t, either way, you’re right. But in order to strengthen your belief you must repeat a mantra, kinda like when you do MILD. By doing this you send a strong signal into your subconsciousness, thus strengthening your intention of actually making the trick work.
But I don’t know the exact underlying scientific explanation of why this simple mantra makes it possible to lift a person with only 4 fingers. Perhaps this really isn’t a matter of science but only one of faith. Faith is quite a powerful tool, even more powerful than the rational mind.

This reminds me of a training course I did once. As an ‘icebreaker’ the instructor told us all to stand up and twist from the waist upwards as far as we felt we comfortably could. He then told us to make a mental note of how far it was.
After this he told us all to think back to childhood, then to imagine that we were babies and our joints were flexible etc. The instructor then told us to repeat the twisting. The difference in how far we could twist now was quite a bit more for most of the group.

When I was in jr. high, this was called “Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board.” The deal was one guy played a dead guy while another would tell the “true” story of how he died in some horrific accident. At the end of his story he would say “… when they pronounced him dead he was light as a feather, stiff as a board,” or something like that. Then each person around the circle would repeat “LAAFSAAB.” When the last person said it they would lift the dead guy up with two fingers in each hand. Hell, if you had four guys, that’s eight hands. If you had a 160 lb person that’s 20 lbs per hand, or two fingers. That’s not so much. I didn’t think it was anything supernatural, but it was fun. Sometimes it was easy to get trancelike if it took a long time, and next thing you know the guy’s in the air and someone freaks out and lets go.

my friends tried that on me once. they kept messing up and ended up arguing they got on my nerves so i left. :grrr:

This is a trick that has been around for a very long time. A perfect example of how powerful the mind is. I would like to see them lift a truck though. There are stories of people doing amazing things like a mother who lifts a car to save her child from a burning car. The expiation for it depends on who you ask. A scientist would say it was a rush of adrenalin, a priest might say it was some sort of divine intervention, in martial arts we would explain it as directing your KI (internal energy). Who is to say what is true. Not long ago people considered LD ing to be fantasy and if you told anyone that you could control your dreams you would most likely find yourself locked in a room in a hospital. Now days LD ing is accepted even by the scientific community. Who knows what we will prove tomorrow.

I also heard about that being callled, “Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board”
5 years ago when I was in 9th grade. I was so amazed about it, but never got to try it with anybody.
It’s funny, just about 4 weeks ago someone mentioned that to me. He said he saw it on T.V over ten years ago and had friends that showed off with it to people all the time. This person who told it to me was an aquintance, so still, I haven’t got to try it yet with anyone, but I really want to try it because I believe in it. I never heard of a mantra needed being said, but I can understand why this would help. It’s related to self-hypnosis and whatever you believe in is possible.
Well, this will be something great to research on the internet, but most of all, I want to try this with other believers in metephysics.

Peace

P.S.

Seriously, I don’t know that many people, but want to prove this magic. Does anybody reading this live in the bay in CA? Maybe some of us LD’ers can meet up at a park and practice some natural magic.

I visit Monterey/San Jose area a few times a year and I think Infection0 lives in San Jose (that’s what he has on his profile). Couldn’t hurt to ask around, I suppose.

I’ve heard of levitating tables and stuff, my mom tells me when she was a kid, that they used to do it, only not the same way. I wonder, since I can’t get anyone to help me, if it’s possible to get the trick to work by yourself. I love hearing about neat tricks like this!

Then can you tell us how it works?? Really, it sounds amazing enough to me, that someone managed to lift a truck. :tongue:

As of 4/1 I will be living in San Leandro. I’m thinking about carrying around a huge sign that says, “Are You Dreaming” or, “Honk If You Lucid Dream” just to remind people of dreams or whatever.

I really do love going on this site, but I wish(I should do this in a lucid dream) we could all get together, like over 5,000 people, and we could lift eachother with fingers, meditate for LD’s together, and do LD dances. like a rain dance except fro LD’s not rain.

I would like to have a huge Lucid Dreaming party!