Need help making the ultimate dream diary

Instead of the Dreamcenter,(sorry to intrude on your ideas) can you call it the Dreamcatcher, like the real thing. I like having metaphors, and puns, im just like that.

Hubbs, I was hoping someone came up with a better name. The first beta will be codenamed dreamcenter.
Monitor199a The graph idea was very good. I think I’m gonna go with that.

Now, over to the sad news. There will be no beta this week. I came across some problems with the loading part that is going to set up the browser so you can browse the dreams. I expect it to be finished soon. I have an alfa version that I will not publish, but I will send it to you if you ask for it. (you can not load you dreams so it’s not very usefull. But the saved dreams can be opend in the beta.)

I hope I can make the graphs come true by the end of september. If you have something to add, let me know

What about making it so that you can add plug-ins to the programmes (then other programmers can add extra features), or even better: Make it open-source!

Everything I make is open-source. Just ask for the source and i’ll give it to you. But unless it is for helping i’m not going to open the sources until I’m finished. Don’t want someone else to finish it before me. The plug-in thing sounds cool. but that could take awhile since I have no idea how to do that.

Which programming language do you use?

The easy one. VB6.0

Hey JDEM.

Good luck with ‘dreamcenter’. Sounds like a nice name. Wait, I just read the reply about the ‘dreamcatcher’ - yep that’s even better.

Another thing, I’d like to see would be the ability to compare dream journals with your friends. Say look at links between the journals, by date, or common topics. Obviously this could be done manually, but so much better if you could put it in a program.

There’d be a couple of other shared dreaming features I’d like to see, but I’ll have to think about them. I think it would be great, if the information was stored or able to be exported in HTML. Be nice if it was cross-platform too.

I like the idea of sharing dreams with others trough the program and the net. I think I can manage that. Semi-online dream diary. Write your dreams when ever you want without internet connection and upload them later with only one mouse click. Browse/search others for dreams and even chat (Trough an IRC chanal). Would be grate wouldn’t it. Thanks for the idea ‘explora’

the cross-platform thing isn’t posible since I’m using VB and no other platforms suport that. But I’ll try to make it work with wine (windows emulator for linux)

The beta is delayed even more. Sorry folks. While I was programing at the highest rate and was just finished with the loader my computer frose and I lost the last 2 hours of programing. When I tried to fix what was left I ended up with a lot of bugs, so I have to start programming the loader from top.

This is a big prosject so it was infact supid of me to think that I could manage to release a beta so soon.

Thanks to you folks, this program is going to be grater than any other dream diary I have ever seen. And with alot of features that makes the dream saving alot easyer and alot more usefull. AND IT GOING TO BE FREE. Thanks folks

That’s why people say “Save your work often” :wink: There is a reason you see.

I saw this topic about white noise cds and stuff and began to think. Why not include a white noice machine in the Dreamcatcher (i think i’m going for that name, thanks to hubbs) If we are going to make the best, we have to include everything
But, for me to be able to make a noise machine I think I need some help.
If anyone have a mp3 (or simular) with white noise, please mail it to me :smile:

Just make sure you don’t take too much in one bite now :smile: My advice to you would be to start with the basics, make it good, and take the extra thingies later. A good basic dream diary is better than one with dozens of bells and whistles, which crashes every 10th second :wink:

I knew you would give in!!! :nodnodwinkwink:

Djem,

There are heaps of nature sounds you can download of the internet. If you have Kazaa or similar program just type ‘Sounds of Nature’ into the search and you should get heaps of results to download.

I have some on my comp but I can’t send through email as it is to big. But if your really desperate I can upload it somewhere and u can get it from there.

:wink:

~ceavou~

I agree with LucidityX1000, you should focus on the basics for now. and maybe add the “bells and whistles” later. Can I ask why you would want white noise while you are recording your dreams? … oh, I already did. :grin:

But, you could generate your own .wav files of white noise. Here is a helpful program bwgen.com/ BrainWave Generator 3.1 it has what you need to create a “white noise .wav file.” Along with other noises.

I’m anxious to see your beta, even more anxious for the final product. I sure could have used it last night, I failed to record my most recent and longest LD … which now I don’t remember. :grrr:

LucidityX1000:
Ofcourse I don’t take everything at once. I’m just trying to work out some ideas. The first beta will contain no more than whats mention in the first post.

DreamAddict:
The reson I wanted a white noise in the program is so the diary can be used to much more than just recording dreams. But if the white noise thingi will increase the size too much, I’ll drop it. For the programming it would be like 3 lines extra, so it’s no big of a deal.

ceavou (how do u say that?):
Thanks for the idea.
Your sound file might be alitle too big for the program. I want it to be downloadable from modem.

i want a few opinions if thats okay.
lets say you keep a good dream journal. you record you’re dreams for a good while but you lay off or can only recall snippets of dreams and feel its not worth recording. the night of the day you didn’t record do you think it decreases you’re chance of an ld that night?
i don’t really think so. but the way i look at it writing down you’re dream might of helped just that much more.

Djem, its pronounced: key - ah - voe :grin:

Completley original :wink:

~ceavou~

im really anxious to see this product. i had dled a nice program… but it was very buggy. ill look and find the link. the way the graphs were used was very creative. ill send you the readme file on it as soon as i find it.

i will defenitly download your dreamcatcher. I have one idéa that would be nice to have.

If you for each day have some fields where you can store some extra info, like dreamsigns, reminders of a specific dream and some more stuffs maybe. Then you could autogenerate a week report where the extra info from each day summarices. This generated report could then be edited and then saved in a separate file. That way it will be more easy to go through your dream journal and watch for cool dreams and stuffs. Then maybe there could be a autogenerator for month aswell where you summarice all the week reports.

what do you think?

Fixos, That sounds grate.
I would love to hear more about the idea, like how the summary should look like and all other details you can come up with (makes it easier for me : )

Everything goes smooth and non of the grate ideas of your is unthinkeble.
The next beta is out soon

I’m gonna keep a weekly journal of the program. That way you’ll know if your ideas is included in the upcoming version or not :smile: and you’ll easy see if the version is worth the download :smile:

Beta 1.5
per. 22.nov.
Release date: Released

Ground layout: Finished
Final layout: Under considuration
Diary info textboxes: Finished
Diary browsing area: Alpha version ready and released
Diary saving part: Finished
Diary loading part: Finished
Alarm clock: source finished but not yet included
everything else: n/a

Sorry for not releasing beta 1.0