On a quest for lucidity........

Ahhhh yes my very first post…I have been devirginized. Well I know some of you from the chat room, and then their are the users I know from reading the forums, but they dont know me. But anyways, I joined a this subculture a few days ago and like the people I have met here. So I was wondering about naps…I already am trying a tech for nighttimes, WILD’s,but no ld’s yet but I am recalling detailed dreams so I am happy. :smile: I am not sure which tech to use for naps :confused: I know that I cant use WILD because it would be silly to wake up after 30 minutes and go back to sleep. Or would it be? I was thinking maybe…well I don’t know. Not sure what I should do for naps. I have started napping at 6pm last couple of days but dream recall is poor during naps. If any of you somniologist’s got any suggestions I will try to use em…Thanks!
J05h

I almost never take naps. I’ve taken probably less than five in my lifetime. I don’t recall getting any dreams during them. Does anyone know if there is a limit to the amount of REM sleep you can get within a twenty-four hour period? Perhaps I spent all of my REM during the traditional sleeping hours?

I don’t tend to take naps. The few times I have, I had no strange experiences. I couldn’t even remember any dreams. The only thing I have had that is similar is a form of WBTB where you get up at around 3 am and go to sleep again at 6 and get back up at 7-8. I have ended up in sleep paralysis every time I have done this. I have also had an LD each time. But hey… I have only done this maybe three or four times.

A WILD is not something you have to wake up from sleep to do. It seems that doing them that way has been successful and become more popular on the board but, it is not mandatory to sleep first to do a WILD.

Shortly after first learning about WILD’s I sat my self down in a chair and tried to do one. I had the idea that I was supposed to keep my awareness and slip into a dream. And I did it. One minute I was in a chair, the next I was lucid in a dream. Surprised me greatly and I woke up. I must say that I am very susceptible to suggestion. I did it the first time I tried but I haven’t done it since.

Taking a nap is a technique that some use to increase LD’s. But as you are falling asleep, that is the time to go WILD.

A WILD is not something to do when you first going to sleep, your chances to succeed in WILD when you first going to sleep are very low becouse your body still needs 5-6 hours of sleep to get fresh, also it’s very hard to get REM sleep ( = dreaming ) at the beginning of the sleep, also at this time your dreams are still very short and unstable.

The much easy way to do WILD is to go to sleep at about 24:00 at night and use an alarm clock to wake you at about 4:30 or 5:00 in the morning, when the clock wake you up don’t get out of bed at all, but right away try to do WILD! this way you will find that it’s much more easy to fall asleep again, and also 5:00 in the morning is hour without noises and also it’s still dark so easy to fall asleep again.

I have found that the much easy way to do WILD is by listening to soft and nice music near your bed, maybe a radio or a CD that you like, then just listen to it and put all your atention to it, try this, it’s great way to do WILD!

LucidGuess

Arrrrr me matey! :happy: No more napping time for me! Thanks for the input…I was the same way with naps, in the sense that I never got any dreams or nuthing. I thought i was just using improper tech. I guess it’s just not as ez to become lucid in the day time :eh: …heck I don’t even remember my dreams when I nap.
DOn;t Dp drUgsa.
J05h

I have not much luck with WILDS < where I awake from sleep stay awake for 30 minutes and fall back asleep. However, I do like having them before sleep, when I’m very tired. This is what I do, I stay away from my bed all day, then I work my ass off at my work etc, and then I go to bed and try to induce a WILD. Staying away from your bed because when you lay down you are ready for bed, and work your ass off so you are very tired upon going to bed.
I have been successful in inducing dreams however; I have not become lucid yet from these WILDS. I even do this when I take a nap or when I’m feeling tired. At times I may be at my computer reading and I will feel tired, I focus on the tiredness feeling and close my eyes and let myself drift and sometimes I find myself in a dream.

I also like it better when I awake from sleep, record my dreams, and do an intention before falling right back asleep. If I stay awake too long, I do not fall back to sleep. Although some people swear by this technique, (stay awake for 30 minutes or so). Alternatively, I sometimes follow my hypnogogic imagery before sleep.

You fell asleep sitting in a chair? Wow! :eek: I could never do that.

Actually, there are a lot of people who have increased experiences of lucidity during naps. Part of it is, I think, because your mind is not completely tired from the day. The way I understand it is that you dream the whole time you are asleep, its just at a stronger flow when you are in a REM cycle. This is obviously true since I often will have dreams in just a half an hour of sleep which is much too short to go into your first REM cycle and have had quite vivd dreams during naps.
Naps may not work for you or perhaps they aren’t working because your body hasn’t set that up as a sleep routine yet. I have no idea but they are successful for some people.

I just found the following statement from lucidity.com about napping…

"3.2.5 Napping

Two observations led LaBerge in the late 1970s to develop morning napping as a method of lucid dream induction. First, he noticed that lucidity seemed to come easier in afternoon naps. The second suggestion same from several lucid dreamers who noted that certain activities during the night appeared to induce lucid dreaming. The diverse qualities of these interruptions: sex, vomiting, and pure meditation, piqued LaBerge’s curiosity regarding what feature each might possess conducive to lucidity. The answer proved to be quite simple: wakefulness interjected during sleep increases the likelihood of lucidity. In fact, the nap technique, refined through several NightLight experiments, is an extremely powerful method of stimulating lucid dreams. The technique requires you to awaken one hour earlier than usual, stay awake for 30 to 60 minutes, then go back to sleep. One study showed a 15 to 20 times increased likelihood of lucid dreaming for those practicing the nap technique over no technique. During the wakeful period, read about lucid dreaming, practice reality checks and then do MILD as you are falling asleep. The Lucidity Institute’s training programs include this technique as an essential part of the schedule, one of the reasons why most participants have lucid dreams during the session. "

Try it when you are really, really tired. For instance when you have been awake for 24 hours.

Hey wait a minuite, a thought…Just stay awake for as long as you can, let’s say 48 hours, at that time you will be having serious hypnogogic imagery flying all over the place (who hasn’t done this, sleep deprivation) That would be an interesting experiment. The only ploblem with this is you would have to somehow wake yourself up (shock treatment). You may be too tired to wake up.
It is most interesting because you have to get sleep sooner or later, it is almost like you have to dream, you have to sleep. I believe on PBS I once saw a experiment where people were sleep deprived and given tests, road tests, and they found they were more dangerous without sleep then intoxicated with alcohol.

Interesting, any thoughts?

This is true. If you are sleep deprived for too long you can have some serious dellusions and hallucenations. Its some bad mojo.

See, if I am too tired then I have trouble maintaining sufficient attention on the hypnogogics and I just end up passing out.

I’ve heard that a person is legally insane if he can prove he has gone without sleep for 72 hours (three full days).