If you die in your dream do you die in real life?

I’ve had one such experience to where I was walking by and came across my house. Something wasn’t right though… my house was entirely made out of glass, and I saw a group of guys with guns surrounding the couch that I was to sleep in. So I walked in, and just like taking no notice of the guys, I squeezed my way through and laid myself on the couch… right in the middle of this mob! Then I SWEAR I could feel this cold metalic object pressed against my head, and then I open my eyes to see the barrel pointed against my head. It was so cool because though it was a dream, I could feel every bit of it… from the couch beneath my body, and the cold barrel against my head. Then I saw the finger pull the trigger to the gun, and without seeing a flash, my head actually jerks back (it feels like it did in real ylife as well) and then all I saw was darkness, and all the sounds around me grew quiet… just as if I were a television and everything just shut off. Did I wake up? Well, not right after I was killed… I actually went onto another dream… but I tell you… in that dream, I was so convenced that I was actually dead. I wasn’t completely lucid in my dream, so I really didn’t know I was dreaming, though I did find it wierd after I woke up that I just waltzed right in there knowing that there was a mob with guns awaiting me… hmmm… maybe my dream self is very brave and comfortable with everything that goes on…

How could you know that you were actually controlling your body, that you didn’t just dream that?

This is really an interesting topic (not to mention disturbing) but anyway. I think it would be a really rare thing (if at all) that people would die in their dreams, I mean, where would anybody get such an idea, it’s not like anyone would know about it because they’d be dead. Plus lots of people have died in their dreams and their still very much alive.

I’m not saying it’s impossible, however, you would have to be in a very intense state of mind, you know what I mean? You’d have to really believe that you’re dead, and I mean REALLY believe it. I’m sure you’ve all heard that if you’re mind really believes something then your body will follow. I don’t know if that works for death or not but I don’t think you have anything to worry about, unless you seriously WANT to die, you know? :blush:

Hello everyone! Interesting topic!

My most vivid and realistic, not to mention frightening, “dream-death” experience is this:

Aliens had invaded the planet and we were at the start of a war with them. I was running along the streets sometime and night. I had a gun on me and was running for my life. I got hit by some alien gun or something and knew I was going to die. I felt myself die. It was frightening. And when I died, everything went BLACK in my dream. For about two minutes. I FELT dead. It was incredible.

The worst part was, was that suddenly I was alive again, but I was reincarnated…as an alien! I lived out the last minutes of my dream as a reincarnated alien (kind of like an undead zomibe?).

I’ve had a few death dreams, this was the most odd and realistic and frightening. I haven’t died in real life yet, so far so good. :smile:

LucidityX1000, I am as certain as I can be that i could control my dream body independently from my real body. Every time i have had an experience i know if it was real or not. eg i know that if i dream something i know it is a dream. In this case i know that while i was dreaming i could control both my real body and my dream body. It might be hard for some people to believe and i don’t expect people to believe it just because i said it. I should know, I am a skeptic.
You might not believe it until it happens to you, but to me i am 99% sure that it was what i said it was.
And since it was an LD, i had even more awareness at the time of what was real and what wasn’t. It was as if i was almost waking up. It was a very interesting experience though as you could imagine.

Hope i’ve been of help.

You know I once read this really interesting book called “Spooky Kids” based on a bunch of true stories that people have told or whatever…

and one of them was about this kid that would always dream of when relatives would die and it led to like major problems with him sleeping and stuff…

anyway, so this one night he’s like 11 I think, and he goes to sleep only to dream about his grandma and he meets her at this road and she tells him she’s leaving now or whatever and she’s never coming back and hugged him in the dream and she walked off… (they were on an empty street or something).

When the kid wakes up, he comes downstairs looking really disturbed and his mom could tell and asked him what was wrong and he said he had a dream that grandma died or whatever and that scared her cuz he was usually right… then right after that they got a phone call that the grandma had passed away in her sleep!!! FREAKY!!! ahh. lol

Sleepyhead reminded me of that about the passing away in your sleep… eek. shudders That’s so freaky. It goes along with my personal idea about consciousness though… I won’t get into that right now. :wink:

Alex, I know what you mean about that moving your actual body from a lucid dream cuz this one time I kept becoming lucid after like 20 different false awakenings in a row right, and the way I would know I was dreaming was when I could feel my back on my bed! And although I wasn’t able to move myself actually, I think I mighta moved my hand lol, I totally know what you mean cuz I’m sure if I woulda tried harder I coulda moved my actual body more. (This was all in an attempt to go to the bathroom cuz I had to pee and I just couldnt wake up to do it!! lol- finally I gave up and just held it all night. :wink: )

When I was a kid, I had a dream that I was choking. I really couldn’t breathe and thought I was going to die. I didn’t realise I was dreaming, but I did wake up. When I woke up, I was out of breath. Mabye that was because I really was convinced that I was dying. Then again it could be that I really was choking on something, because I have the habit to do stuff when I’m asleep, like putting on the light beside my bed, or set my alarm clock. But I don’t think that you will actually die because of a dream. Your mind will prevent that from happening.

I had a dream once where a spaceship I was in had an acident and I ended up not being able to breath in the vacuum of space.
I woke up to find myself not breathing properly and I had given myself a sore throat that would last for a couple of hours. :bored:

I guess that if I had a lung condition then mabey I could have done myself some damage but I was fine.

I’ve heard that sleep paralysis tends not to affect eye movement and breathing. If you are not getting enough air you wake up. So unless you kill yourself with extreme eye movements then killing your waking self in a dream will be difficult. Unless perhaps you have a condition already or are a sleep walker.

But I could be wrong; I’m not a doctor. And I cant answer those questions about the nature of conciousness either.

Oh, and for those worried about the dangers of lucid dreaming this happened to me in a normal dream before I knew what LDing was.

So first! The asker need to know what does the dreams for. Dreams are for to assembly (relive) the life’s problems, to organise the memory: arranged systematic memory… DEATH is one of the life’s things, what is need to be assembled… so death is no more than for example love and tragedies, happiness and fun. These are basic elements of dreams. There is no connection with real-life death and only THINKING about death… Dreaming is a deeper part of thinking… So you don’t need to worry about is. Thanks for reading, and sorry for my bad english :smile:
Bye:
/BOCEEE/

Once I asked myself while dreaming, what would happen if I died…
I then saw myself on top of a massive canyon filled with writing lava… I began to walk across an ancient rope bridge and then half-way I let myself fall… I don’t think I was lucid dreaming as I couldn’t feel the heat or anything but I could certainly control it…anyway… as I was saying…I suddenly saw the ‘screen’ panning outwards then a flashing sign saying ‘game over’ I then woke up… irritated about how boring that dream was… complete waste!

Recently though, I was shot in the chest and it boogy hurt! On the very next night… some bad guy machine gunned me in the chest… and the buggers in the same car as me all had boogy bullet proof vests on! How selfish was that!!! :grrr:
I was highly irritated and in a lot of pain… humph… :thud:

I have no idea why this topic has generated so many pages but anyway…

if you die in a dream, you will not die in real life.
Otherwise I would not be here right now.

the body normally wants to stay alive so i think …no

Unless you have a heart attack or something for the scare, no.

It can be the other way round though, you can dream you’re dying if you’re really dying. While I was suffocating one night I dreamed I couldn’t breathe anymore for some reason I don’t remember.

I woke up in time though.

Tholey died while sleeping… wierd

When i died, if went to an empty place, with a rock and thick fog.

Sometimes death feels like i have two black dices in my hands and I am in space.(Weird)
When I die I just wake up or chance place.
After dying sometimes I am on my yard and i see when Earth falls in rock with two black dices.
I think those two black dices are symbol of death in my Lucid.

I’ve read a few pages of this topic, not all of them, so sorry if this question has already been answered.

Has anyone commited suicide, killed themselves in a dream? I don’t believe in the whole die in dream, die in RL thingy, I’m just curious. :razz:

I’ve acually had a dream once ( one of my most terrifying) that this kid was going to kill me i had no idea who he was but he was some young kid who wanted me to die. Then he did i dont remember how he killed me but he did. Then came sleep paralysis where this dark figure was comming to like take me or somthing but i couldnt move, scream, or anything. I dont know how my imagination might have worked into this, but dying in dreams deffinatly has something to do with how the physcial world and astral/dream world reacts and connects with eachother in your own mind.

^ Did the kid look like a young Elton John? Maybe we have a new Freddy Krueger of dreams?

I’ve had this reoccuring dream three times about a few months apart. Elton John and his two ‘helpers’ were chasing me. Elton with a gun, one with a lighter, one with a stapeler.

Yet he never, ever caught me :smile:

And ever since I put a few of his songs on my iPod, I’ve never had that dream.

Hmm…

oh yeah! i did just to see what would happen… (see my previous post on this topic! lol!)