was i lucid

well i first realized i was dreaming when my body couldnt do the simple task of backing up. it was like there was a barrier behind me. i have been able to realize i am dreaming in 3 dreams including this one but i never went lucid. well in this one i realized i was dreaming and felt so rushed that the dream was gonna end so as i was lifting off the ground i thought of this place and fell to the ground becuase i wanted to steady my lucidity. i layed there and i was really tense that i was gonna wake up so i stroked the carpet. i layed there for at least 15 seconds then the view changed to 3rd person so i was watching myself. then i woke up. i like to believe that the part where i was stroking the carpet i was lucid and then when it when to the 3rd person view i just fell back into the dream but part of me just doubts the whole thing was a lucid dream becuase. i have been trying so long and i feel that i will have to try many more months to do it

“well i first realized i was dreaming when…”

Yes you had a lucid dream.

If you are still looking for something that is more of a rush, try stabalization techniques (rubbing your hands, spinning, yelling “lucidity times one thousand”, etc). There is lots of documentation on this elsewhere.

well, sence i only am able to realize i am dreaming when my body wont work is there a way that i can shape my dreams before i go to bed. something like, in my dream my body will be unable to move its legs.

“…my body couldnt do the simple task of backing up…”

It’s intersting that you mention this, because I’ve been meaning to ask everyone about their opinions on the correlation between dream paralysis and lucidity.

I’ve been thinking about this for some time, and although I’ve never personally used these extremely obvious signs to initiate a LD, I thought there may be strong potential there for a DILD.

From my experience it seems to be quite common (for me at least) to find yourself unable to move properly while dreaming. Perhaps this is a small step towards conscious reaction within a dream? Often the result of this effect is the inability to escape from something, or to manipulate an object in ways common in waking life.

Anyone have any comments?

ty2k55: You’re basically describing the MILD technique, by which you imagine yourself in dreamscenes, shortly before you go to sleep. You basically “will” yourself to have a LD after you fall asleep, by perhaps recognizing a dreamsign, or remembering your intention to remember you’re in a dream, which would actually lead to a DILD. :eh:

You can even use your example for MILD -- just "convince" yourself that when you start dreaming, your "dream body" will not be able to move its legs until you say you REALLY want to move them.  Then, when you start to dream, and you have difficulty moving your "dream" legs, chances are, that will spark the thought that you're dreaming since you created those exact intentions for your dream before you fell asleep...and bingo, DILD!  ..........I personally wouldn't try that because it would be a shame to go lucid and not be able to move around IF your legs still won't work after you want them to!  You never know..even LDs have glitches...  (vanilla sky???) :blush:   hehe

Hmmm sorry I must have misunderstood, I have never had a problem with sleep paralysis in a lucid dream, only when actually awake. But now that I remind myself, I was close enough to the verge of sleep last night that I could slowly (very slowly) move portions of my body although I could tell I was mainly paralyzed. Almost like trying to WILD before going to bed, maybe I will try again tonight.

What I’m mainly refering to is the inability to move parts of the body while IN a dream. It seems logical that this may be caused by physically trying to move your body in real life, and feeling the same restrictions that would apply in that case.

I don’t consider it to be a Lucid Dream in this situation, but I think there’s something happening there that goes beyond standard dreams. Perhaps a different state altogether in which your mind sees the dream world, yet tries to move the physical body?

You may be describing what some people have been calling “Hypnagogic Hallucinations”.

kmcdonald:

After some less-than-extensive research on Hypnagogic Hallucinations, I couldn’t find any real information that wasn’t accusing me of suffering from narcolepsy. Admittedly, browsing the list of symptoms for this desiese invoked more than a raised eyebrow, but at this stage I’ll leave a tick out of that box on my next medical form.

Yeah… you were deffinitely lucid. When you realize that you are dreaming that IS becoming lucid. SO if you have realized that 3 other times then you have had four LDs. Congratulations.

However, not all LDs are very powerful. In my first LD I had a great rush of energy run all through me and it woke me up. Since then… no rush but I have had stronger grasps on my own sense of self in my dreams. Those few LDs that were short or you felt you had no control even though you had realized you were in a dream could very well have been weak and faded right away.

Even now I have some LDs that are weak where I wake up or go back into the dream almost immediately. Some however are stronger. I think this is mainly due to practice.

LosyBoy is right, there are certainly different levels of control you can have over LDs. Simply realizing that you are dreaming is considred ‘becoming lucid’, though you may find that you still have little to no control over yourself.

Sometimes when this happens it’s possible to increase the control you have, either by verbal command (if possible) or occasionally just by concentrating on your surroundings. If you’re new to LD’s though, you’ll probably find that the first few ‘brushes’ with lucidity don’t last long. This is generally caused by over-excitement.

Just keep at it :wink:

Yes, i have experienced this before, i was also able to move my dream body at the same time.