bad vision/darkness in dreams

after reflecting on alot of the dreams i have had, i noticed one thing that popped up quite alot in dreams, and that is darkness.

many times when i am trying to do something, there would be darkness and everything would be hard to see, asif i had very bad vision, like just the other night, i dreamt i was a dj, and i was trying to put the needle on the record, but i couldnt see the record very well. like i was in a badly lit room, i tryed twisting my head in different directions to try and see it, but i couldnt.

i think i will use this a a dream sign and use it to become lucid.
anyone else had dreams like this?

It’s very common for people to experience bad vision, inability to move properly, accidental hovering (when they want to be running), ect…

I occasionally think this is due to actually trying to move in RL. I used to dream frequently about not being able to open my eyes, as if they were glued shut or something. I concluded that this was most likely because I was actually trying to open them.

yeah i get the weighed down feeling all the time, but this is just due to sleep paraysis, and trying to move in real life, although i find your inability to open your eye interesting, i’ve never had that before, most of the time i cant close my eyes, like if i’m in a nightmare, and i close my eyes, they would be see through.

I’ve had that happen too. In a recent WILD attempt I ended up in a totally dark place and there were no sounds and nothing! My thoughts even went quiet, so my heart rate increased and I freaked out and just moved, because I really did feel trapped.

I think it’s because when someone sees complete darkness and silence, the brain realizes that it is the same thing it’s getting out of your sleeping body, and it associates you to beeing awake, so you move your real body.
I see this making sense because its the exact opposite to the spinning/motion techniques LaBerge talks about; trying to wake up by shaking your head violently actually keeps you in the dream, or causes a FA. But anyways the darkness is strange…If I ever get to do that I’ll try to stay calm and see what happens after.

Hovering while trying to run is So annoying. I actually start thinking of strategies to run faster, like maybe if I lean forward enough. A while ago I learned that sliding my feet across the snow gets me better grip while climbing a mountain.

I have horrendous eyesight when awake, & sometimes that transfers into my dreams. The idea of a fire or someone breaking into the apartment without my contacts in scares the hell out of me, so I think I sometimes dream with bad eyesight to try and deal with that fear. Darkness may play a similar role in dealing with a feeling of defenseless.
However, when going Lucid: if I repeat “clarity!” a few times, it takes care of the problem. One of the coolest things I’ve seen in LD is watching the world come into - and go beyond being in focus.

I don’t ever have trouble moving around in my dreams but I have found that, most often, my dream locales are kind of dingy and dim. Its rarely sunny or bright. I’m not sure why this is. I have been trying to incubate some sunny dreams before bed lately but with little success.

One of my goals lately has been to hang out on a sunny beach during my next lucid dream. Well, in my last one I started spinning, keeping in mind I wanted to go to the beach. When I stopped spinning I was near a beach but it was all overcast, rainy and the waves were rolling in as breakers. Damn. :grrr:

Lostboy:

Sunny beaches are overrated. You always get bigger waves when it’s overcast. :grin:

Maybe you should have been thinking about clear blue skies when you were spinning?

Meow:

I also wear contacts but lately in a half-LD my glasses got in the way of hugging some girl, and I backed off. Just because of that I wear contacts more now.

I don’t want to think of my vision as anything, because soon I’ll be telling myself the words are blurry because I forgot my contacts. I need my failsafe RC to continue.

Perhaps I should have thought of clear blue skies. I had a dream shortly after noticing that most of my dreams took place in dimly lit locales wherein I became lucid and looked at the ceiling of this workshop I was in… there were track lights above and they were trully shinning and bright. Ask and ye shall receive. :grin:

A proven philosophy :content:

If you expect it to be there, it will. If you think you can, you can. If all else fails, just look to the clouds and ask politely.

Incidently, I find that most random locations that I become lucid in (before I change them to something more enjoyable) are usually at night. This might be because it really is night outside, and I can subconsciously hear crickets or something?