Excellent Technique

This isn’t a new technique or anything, I think it’s informally called the ‘wake back to bed method’ or something. Anyway, I just wanted to say that all of the 4 lucid dreams I’ve had are a result of waking up, staying up for about 2 hours, then going back to bed (it’s the school holidays here in the UK at the moment). I didn’t even do anything special, it’s probably something to do with entering a REM period with your brain still 'activated or something. I suggest that everyone try it, especially newbies like me.

ps. I did actually think about LD’s a lot during the wake period, but, if you’re like me, this is nothing unusual.

You’re right that is certainly not a new method, but it is one of the best. You say you stayed awake for 2 hours? That seems a little long to me, as I usually tend to go back to sleep after 10 or 15 minutes.

How long does everyone usually stay awake for when using this technique?

This is what I use every time I try DILD or MILD’s. I tried staying up 5 min (worked once), 10 min, 15 min, and 1 min (which doesn’t work for me yet). The WBTB method is messing up my dream recall and I can’t sleep good, always half-wake up, and I end up sleeping for like 12 hours sometimes due to lack of sleep.

2 hours…that’s long, but I can see how that might work for a light sleeper like me. What time did you wake up to stay 2 hours?

I didn’t wake up for 2 hours just to do this method - I had to deliver the papers. I was so tired when I got back that I just went back to bed.

Although I will point out that LaBerge suggests 2-3 hours as a good schedule for lucid dreaming in his book. You have to wake up properly you see - In fact that longer you are awake the more you think about LD’s and the more ‘activated’ your brain becomes.