Pain

in dreams i have experienced things that should’ve caused pain, but only really caused an out of place feeling, just not what you’d anticipate from leaning off the side of a speeding motorcycle and ramming your head into an oncoming car.
but in a ld(where things are obviously more vivid and realistic) what would you feel?
if i were in a high level ld, and began blugeoning myself with sledgehammer, would i actually feel acute pain or would anyone feel that pain. has anyone experienced things of this sort.

Really good question. I don’t normally feel pain mainly because I avoid it, but I often feel pleasant things very vividly.
Once I was shot in the stomach in a LD. I remember no pain at all, but thought later that in real life the effect of shock could have been similar.
Side note: the strange thing about being shot was that the physical damage seemed somewhat minor - maybe we naturally diminish in dreams what is unpleasant & focus on the pleasant sensations.
cheers!

When i tried flying the first time i fell down about four meters. It did not hurt i just had a slight feeling of bumping on the floor but nothing comparable to pain. However i think it was a mid-level LD.

I am not sure, but sometimes I think that I actually feel pain in my dreams, just without the unpleasent feeling of it.
E.g , if I cut myself with a knive, I would feel the steel in my flesh, and I feel some sort of pain, but it doesn´t really hurt in the sense of a very unpleasent feeling… as if the part of your brain that normally keeps you alive is shut down while dreaming.
Don´t know if this is true, but that is how I sometimes feel

Traumgänger

I had a dream once wherein a group of people formed a circle around me and raised one fist against my ribs all around me so that there was a solid ring of fist around me and they slowly pressed into me until my ribs were in pain and I couldn’t breathe.

I woke up, feeling that pain for a few seconds after I was fully awake. I don’t have asthma or where any clothing that would be tangled arounf me so… That was pain. I’m not sure whether an outside influence caused my mind to encorporate the pain into the dream or the dream caused my brain to percieve the pain. Either way I felt it.

That’s interesting, because I had a dream not too long ago where someone was jamming his fingers into my ribs and it hurt as much as I’ve ever felt pain in a dream before. I wonder if there’s a connection?

Yes, I have experience high levels of pain in my dreams too. Last week I dreamt that I had terribe cramps in my belly. And the dream was about finding a doctor who could stop help me end this torture.

So I guess that you can/will only feel pain in a dream when it’s relevant for the story.

I’ve jumped into the ground off of a 15 storey building and i guess that is supposed to hurt, but it didn’t.