Self Hypnosis...please read

I was bored, and decided to look up self hypnosis. Heres the link that explains all about it - bcx.net/hypnosis/induct.htm

Basically, it says you follow the procedure he explains and you get to a point where you tell hypnotize yourself. Kinda like - “I will not steal from the company…” WELL it says in the article that this is linked to your subconsious mind. What if you tell yourself “I will realize im dreaming when I see [dreamsign]”? Its connected to your subconsiousness, so wouldnt it be effective? The article also says self hypsosis is a skill that takes time to develop…sounds like LD’ing. It would be great to see someone do this…I would love to see the results.

thanks for that, I have added it to my favorites and will have a good look at it later on. :cool_laugh:

I seem to have trouble with hypnosis. I seem resistant which is strange because I totally believe that it can work and be useful. Its an area of some frustration to me. Reading this page… I think I am at fault in the basic blunder of watching to see the point at which I am becoming hypnotized. I am very interested in what it feels like to be in other states of awareness and therefor distract myself with trying to note hwo I’m feeling. Bullocks.

Looks like this person is saying you need to practice self-hypnosis which is actually something I’ve never heard before and is kind of reassuring. Its nice to know that I can work on letting that habit go.

I have a cd from the Lucidity Institute where Laberge tries to put you in a trance and the technique seems very similar to what this person is talking about. It starts trying to relax you and then you begin counting down and even uses the visualization of moving downward around a spiral staircase. I’ll have to really give that cd a try.

Seems promising. I read the entire article and, starting tonight/tomorrow morning(4 AM), I will have my first session. I’m planning on recording my findings I may post them if anyone actually cares. I’m planning on doing a session each morning after awakening my first time before attempting my WILD. Not much overall luck in the last 4 months, 3 LDs. Hoping to change all that with this. :bounce:

I’ve also looked up self-hypnosis since someone brought it up some time ago, and I stumbled across the same site.

I’ve tried it for about 3 days now, and I actually found some interesting states of consciousness. I lie down comfortably, do some deep breathing techniques, make sure every muscle is relaxed, and then I attempt to clear my mind. I do this for exactly 1 hour, and time does pass quickly for some reason.

What I found (similar results in failed WILD) was that there are times (3-4 seconds at most) that I completely forget about everything and my mind comes up with strange scenarios. For example skiing comes to mind, and suddenly there’s this person snowboarding. In that small instance, I lose (more like forget) feeling of my body and where I am. I notice this because I gain awareness again and it feels a bit strange. These scenarios don’t exactly look like dreams, more like an imagined event. This happens on average of about 3 times during that hour.

If it only were possible to hold that state of mind, I could probably slip into a dream, and with enough practice I could have a WILD. I feel a bit better after that one hour, rested in a way.

I say to myself some MILD stuff after a while, and if I do get DILD that means I’ve actually succeeded. No LD so far.

Raging_Canadian: Welcome to LD4ALL. I’ll be interested to see what methods you use, and what success you have. It’s always great to see dedication to something. Don’t ever put yourself down because that is a barrier to LD and everything as far as I know. Keep at it!

I missed my first session I slept in for the first time in months. Coincidence?? :shrug:

I’ve done a lot of self hypnosis which I learned for anxiety/phobia problems. I later began to use it for dream incubation and it works really well. I tell myself what I’m going to dream about. It also works for lucid dreams for me often. I think it’s a really good way to increase dream control/lucidity. :cheesy:
Basically in my opnion you have to believe in it enough that you feel that what you tell yourself will happen but be ok with it if it doesn’t and the hypnosis should work. jUst keep trying and it’ll be good.

aydira, does your method of self-hypnosis vary from the one described on that website? I seem to have trouble clearing my mind from distractions. I often find it amusing to see what things my mind will come up with as I try to hold an empty state of mind, because after a while in silence something always comes up. Do you have any tips on self-hypnosis that could help us?

The methods I use are pretty much the same as the site. One thing I do to test myself is when I think I’m hypnotized I say, "my eyelids feel so heavy and relaxed. They are so heavy and so relaxed that when I try to open them I can’t because they’re so heavy and relaxed,’ or something similar to this and if I can’t open them I know that I’m in it. One thing though is that I have to repeat this several times. Sometimes I even make it rhythmic like a mantra and this seems to help too. Repeating is very important and so is practice and perseverance. :grin:
Sometimes I get “pop ups” while I’m trying to count down. Usualy when this happens I just keep counting no matter how long it takes until I’m focused. If I do that I usualy don’t have distractions during the hypnosis (unless I’m extremely tired and pass out!) And remember that sometimes it’s just not the right time. But like in meditation I usualy find that I dread it before I do it but once I start i don’t want to stop.
One thing is, if you have enough time sometimes I like to tell myself at the end of it that now is the time for any pictures or anything that I pushed away earlier to show themselves. So I still give any images time so I can look at any neat ones. The main point is to do it when no one is going to bother you whatsoever so you can be totaly relaxed the whole time. Relaxation is the key. I hope this helps. :wink:

Also, I know the stuff that pops up in the silence is cool (I often get stuck on them) but I think all you can really do is let yourself let go of it. I just try to think of it like, if it came out of me it’ll still be in there later if I need it so I don’t need to worry about it now. Just really let it go like in meditation. I’ve heard things like trying to imagine your stray thoughts getting put into a package that you put aside and you can open later if you want. Maybe try picturing this (briefly so you don’t go off on a tangent!) :happy:

Well I fell asleep while I was in the deepening state, counting down from 100. 2 very vivid dreams both very weird and paranoid, and 2 other school related ones that I don’t remember very well. Maybe just the intent for the hypnosis carried over into my dreams but my recall has recalled dramatically just from trying to undergo self hypnosis. Can’t wait till I actually make it without falling asleep.

But 1 question, when I do get there and I plant the suggestions. Should I say them each once? repeat them a couple times? interior monologue chant?

We all have different talents for self hypnosis and meditation!
Some have a average talent, some a superb and some below average…
Only 20 % of the ppl can get into a deep hypnosis…probably the same for meditation…so even when we all learn the same techniques we wont be all in the same level…

What is very important is your serotonin level in brain…thats a neurotransmitter that plays an important role in sleep, mood, trance (meditation and hypnosis)…and that is a big part of the cause of the basic talent u got 4 these things…
So 4 some of us selfhypnosis or meditation might work but 4 others it wont be so easy…try and find out 4 yourself!

Raging_Canadian…u first try to get into a light to medium trance…by using selfhypnosis for relaxation of body and mind…and then u start giving yourself suggestions…and yes u repeat them and repeat them over and over again so the conscious will not filter them away!
The conscious isnt fully aware when a stimulance input gets in over and over again…like the ticking of the clock…the conscious at a certain point isnt aware of it fully anymore because its constantly there…
So u give yourself the suggestions u want repeatingly…but if u want a higher chance 4 succes…first try to get into a light to medium trance…

Good Luck!

Jeff

Thanks for your advice Aydira and Jeff. I’ll continue with my daily routine, and maybe I’ll integrate meditation within my schedule.

I’ve found this site quite interesting in giving some helpful hints, especially with the will and grace thing and the bad urge to expect something to happen. Maybe someone will find it useful.
meditationcenter.com/index.html

ps. oh and I forgot to ask, Is it okay to fall asleep every once in a while in attempting self-hypnosis? I know getting used to falling asleep while meditating is a bad habbit, but does it also apply for self-hypnosis? I wouldn’t mind getting a WILD after finishing with the routine.

Sometimes I actually use self hypnosis so I can sleep. I think it’s ok as long as it’s intentional although it’s happened to be unintentionaly a few times but nothing bad ever happened. If you accidentaly fall asleep too much while trying just try doing it when you’re more rested until you get more experienced. :smile:

Its ok to fall a sleep…no harm there!

:smile:

I’m feelin good tonight. Perfect time for a lucid dreaming. Just watched Vanilla Sky. Very “Sixth Sense” but I kinda knew how it was gonna end because it was recommended and reviewed in a lucid dreaming newsgroup/ :blush:

Maybe I need to add some positive affirmations throughout the day.
I will not sleep through self hypnosis. I will not sleep through self hypnosis.

PS
My recall is shot all to hell again. Blank in the morning two days in a row. :grrr:

Raging_Canadian u fall a sleep while u practise self hypnosis…maybe u should take a little more time to get there…i mean try a little less intense…try for instance to relax all your hand muscle and c what happens…start small…that is stay in contact with your body…relax that first…maybe its interesting if u tell me what u do excactly?

Good luck!

:happy: Self hypnosis was not ment for raging into it lol!

Oooohh, total déjà vu. My mind is hurting!

Well. I start with 8 slow breaths. Counting each inhalation. Then 2 breathes of tensing my toes. Then 2 breaths relaxing. I do that for all my body parts. Then I start counting down from 100. My count down is tied to my breathing so it gets progressively slower as I continue to relax.
Then I wake and realize I never got to 1 :eh: