Winter storm free time

I’ve been in an ice storm that has left 1.5 million people without power.
NYtimes.com - 1.5 million without power.

I’m lucky to have a 486 25mhz laptop with 14k modem that I’ve dragged from the closet. I never thought I’d say that. :wink: It’s a great substitute! I’m able to plug it into my car’s cigarette lighter via a long extenstion cord. :grin: The phone lines are still up, so here I am. :smile:

I’ve learned that the forum is not as pretty at 640X480 resolution … not to mention the black and white screen. :shy: It’s going to take some time to read the 38 new post here, but it is not like I’m busy doing something else. Except lucid dream. :cool:

I love the peaceful silence of a house without electricity, and the deep dark that is uncontaminated by unatural light. It’s relaxing. I plan to spend this time well. I have batteries for my CD player, so I can listen to my Hemisync CDs. I’m not going to try that yet. Instead I’m going to enjoy the dark silence of nights without power. I bet I sleep well, and hopefully dream even better. So I will soon go to bed and try for a WILD. Wish me luck! :thumbs:

I tried for a WILD last night, but it was during the storm. It was worthless. Once I got very relaxed another tree would snap or branch would fall. It sounds like shotguns, so I usually jumped and waited for it to land … and hoped it wouldn’t land on me. Once the sun started to shine bright I woke up. I don’t remember a lucid dream, but the yard looked dream-like. It was enough to make me question reality.

Everything was coated with a thick sheet of ice. It was beautiful. Sadly, many of the trees were either weighed down or snapped in half. A few houses were destroyed, some cars crushed, power lines down and power poles snapped. Despite this, the scenery is amazing.

Most trees that are going to snap have already fell. Tonight is much quieter. It’s 53degrees inside, but the laptop puts off a comforting heat. It’s great sleeping weather.

i’m going to sleep now. Wish me luck! If anyone has any ideas for some techniques or exercises to try during these circumstances, that would be great! It may take some time for me to reply, but i’m reading it all. Hopefully we will have power soon, but we’re told it could be days. i don’t mind though, I think it is fun. It is like camping out, and it allows plenty of free time to try for LDs.

Take-care!

53 inside? That’s cool! Must be nice and quiet inside. My room is always noisy because of the heating and stuff. I hear lots of clicks because they resonate through the airvents, and there’s these strange high pitched noises that move around my room. I might just be imagining it but I can locate the sound moving across the room. Oh well, maybe it’s just my imagination!

Here in Ontario there’s some snow, but it’s not too cold and the roads are ok for now. I had no idea you guys have such a rough winterstorm, my TV’s got problems… At least your laptop is black and white, my old 386 was red and black :bored:

Well happy WILDing.

Hopfully you’re car won’t need a boost :tongue:

We had an ice storm once in my town in Michigan. It was beautiful and scary. The only bad thing that happened to my family is that these trees fell down and crushed both of our cars. I’m glad we didn’t loose electricity but only because I think I would die of hypothermia! I get cold when it’s like 70 degrees inside so I don’t want to think about what it would be like on a night of -2.
But the next day I walked around the town and looked at it. It was so pretty even if it’s dangerous.

here, near washington DC, no ice, but alot of snow :smile: and not alot of school! 2 days cancelled :smile:. So i also have caught up on my lucid dreaming. WHere do u live? north carolina?, its really bad down there. my god parents live kinda near raleigh and they are their car got crushed! and they dont know when they will get power back :-(. good luck LDing!, ben

Wash Dc? What is “a lot of snow?”

We had an ice storm up here in Maine a couple of years ago. It is beautiful but a little scary. You want to go walking out in it but you really have to be aware of powerlines and falling branches/trees. Luckily no branches did damage to our house but we were without power for a week. Since we have a well and not town water… that meant no water and no heat. Luckily we have a wood stove so we had some way to get heat and cook. It pretty much sucked.

It is an amazing thing to be in the midst of though. When the breeze blows all of the ice covered branches click together and you can hear loud cracking all around you at night. Things look especially fabulous when the full moon comes out and hits everything with a silver light. Really beautiful.

I hope insurance covered the damage to your cars, Aydira. If that happened to my car I’d be :crying: . To think of it, I did find my dad’s car all boxed in in a parking lot, and I wanted to kick someone’s ass just to calm down. :grrr:

DreamAddict: You have Hemisync CDs? Those things are $$$! Do you find them useful? What collection are they from?

Yeah insurance covered it thankfully. It was kind of funny because by the time we sold the one car so much had happened to it that it was almost a brand new car!
What is Hemisync?

Ok, before I respond to some replies I would like to update my status. I’m now hooked to the power grid again. For us it was a very short power outage. However, some neighbors and friends were out for over a week. We took some family in that didn’t have power, so many of our houses were full. The ice was gone in about a day or two. It was the damage that it caused that was the danger. A lot of grocery stores and gas stations didn’t have generators. So few places to get gas and food, which meant large crowds. Places that were open were usually dark, so you had to shop with flashlights. Cash registers were replaced with calculators, traffic lights became 4-way stops or if lucky they were directed my traffic cops. It was really neat. Stores were not playing crappy background music and replaced with a sometimes eerie quiet. Some got carbon monoxide poison from choosing unwise ways to stay warm. Some people lit outdoor grills inside apartments, which poisoned many. People were desparate to get warm.
Many power companies from different states came to help out. Close to where I live I seen Alabama Power helping out. THANKS ALABAMA! Even with all of the help it took over a week for over 2million people to have power. It was sad to see some people complain how long it took. Geesh! They act like power is a guarantee. Damn spoiled Americans. :neutral: The majority was very understanding and thankful for all of the help though. :smile:
Now the work is for the clean up. The city has offered to pick up everyone’s limbs and branches if they pile them up on the side of the road. That was brilliant. :neutral: Now every yard in the city has a 5 foot pile of debris on the side of the road. Stray limbs and branches stick out and it’s not unusual to drive into them. My car antenna knows first hand. :grrr:

Pilot said “my old 386 was red and black”
Uhgh! a 386 … and! red and black. :bored:
Luckily my car never needed a boost. I was fooled into thinking it did. My starter would not turn over. I soon remembered I forgot to plug in the 2nd “security” key that disables my ignition. Duh. :eh: I even had the jumper cables connected before I remembered.

and yes. I have Hemisync Wave I CDs. Let’s say they were a gift. :wink:
aydira, you can search this forum here:
ld4all.com/forum/search.php
for “Hemisync” there are a few discussion here about them. It basically is a binural beat program with vocal instructions. It helps you to relax your body among other things. I use it to learn how to relax and put my body to sleep while attempting a WILD. I never got to try the CDs while the power was out.

ben7, yes I live in the Carolinas. It’s hard to say if it is NC or SC, because I’m on the state line. The address is for SC, but the neighborhood exits into NC. So. :bored:

I was born and raised in NC and have only lived in SC for 7 years. I still spend the majority of my time in NC with school and work, so I just say “Carolina.” Damn state lines. :neutral: I can’t imagine living in small countries that border each other. At least my bordering states “match” with “Carolina.” :wink:

The winters here are odd. Some years go by where we don’t see a snowflake. In the years past I remember snow feet deep. Recently we seem to get only ice and sleet. About 10 years ago I remember a blizzard. That was fun. Me and a friend thought it would be fun to walk to the store 1 mile away. On the way back we couldn’t see and she started to have an asthma attack. We had to walk slower and then the wind blew her scarf away. It was a mess. She couldn’t talk and the wind was blistering. It was an experience to remember. :smile:

if you live in christmas town, i believe we are in about the same area. i just drove by there and marveled at the insane quantities of traffic you guys get this time of year. then, i was hit by the same storm, but not nearly as bad. a friend came back from college in the mountains recently and asked if we had some sort of national tear-down-your-trees-and-throw-them-on-the-road day. was out of school for two days and now we have the mayhem of making those days up. they want us back at school on the 2nd. feh!

:cool: It does sound fun! I only had one blizzard experience in my entire life in Utah. My school was canceled for one day. It was a blast! I rode on the 4-wheelers… it was an unreal experience! Unfortunately, after that… we never had anything close to this blizzard experience and our school never gets cancelled again :razz: Boring eh?

Ignignok, yes we are in the same area. I don’t live in Mcadenville, but I’m in the same county. I usually ride to see the lights every year. My favorite part is the large fountain in the middle of the lake that changes color. :content: I found a link to the history of Christmastown USA:

mcadenville-christmastown.com/cthistory.htm

DM7, I love exciting weather. Tornadoes amaze me! Sometimes I wish I were a weather man or a storm chaser. I experienced a tornado in Texas and I started saying my prayers. :eh: I just knew I was dead. But all the time I was enjoying it, afterwards was such a rush. :grin:

The only things I can remember not experiencing are an earthquake, cyclone, avalanche, tsunami, or volcano. I was in a 2.0 earthquake once but that doesn’t count. Only the darn richter could detect it.

I hope I’m lucky to witness all of these at least once. I even hope my exit from this world is during one of these fantastic weather events. Car crashes and cancer are soooo boring. If I could pick a way it would be in the middle of an F5 tornado hundreds of feet in the air and flung through the sky somewhere. That sounds fun.

:confused: I’m crazy I know, I get so excited about weather. geesh. :confused:?: