Natural lucid dreamers?

I tried talking to my friend Sean the other day, about lucid dreams. I asked him if he ever knew he was dreaming, while he was dreaming. His answer? “Of course. Don’t you always know when youre dreaming?” Well, no, unfortunately. :stuck_out_tongue: And neither do most people. He seemed very surprised by that. I didnt bother to try and talk to him about trying to LD after that, I know him, and he wouldnt have thought it was worthwhile for me to be working at doing something like this…

Is anyone here a natural like that? Or know of someone who is? Just curious.

The same exact thing happened with me and one of my good friends. She wasn’t very excited about it though. I was like, "Come on!!! This is exciting! You can do whatever you want in your dream!. She didn’t catch on too well. She says that she usually just plays along and follows the plot of the dream instead of creating her own. I told her that she’s crazy for not wanting to experience things she can’t in real life…she then told me that she wasn’t perverted like me. And I told her that it was immiture of her to assume that I was talking about sex (Which I kind of was) and told her that she should try flying or anything! She kind of was like, yeah ok whatever. I was surprised because she’s normally very interested in psychology and the mind and all that. I’ll keep working on her.

From my experience-ppl calling others perverts have quite a lot perversions on their own:)

I’ve tried talking to a few people about it & have had wildly opposing responses. Either people are bothered by the notion, they don’t care at all, or they have them and don’t care at all. I can’t figure it out.

• and yes, I’ve been LDing naturally and frequently since forever ago, although it wasn’t until less than a year ago that I actually began enjoying it :flower:

That’s odd.
It seems that the people that naturally “know they are dreaming” aren’t interested in taking advantage of it’s possibilities. I also know of someone that claimed that all of their dreams are lucid. They claim that they always realize that their dreams are dreams. I couldn’t understand why this person wasn’t interested in learning more about LDs. They seemed to view it as boring. How sad and unfortunate.

I started having lucid dreams naturally. Though it seemed to be random, not all of my dreams are lucid. Shucks!

In a way I’m glad. I don’t want my dreams to ever seem “boring.” I’m glad I’ve learned many cool things to do and practice when I turn lucid. To have to “work” towards LDs seems to install a respect for the time you do spend lucid.

I’ve often wondered why we aren’t all natural lucid dreamers…it’s such an amazing capability. I’ve always thought that it was something to do with the need to distinguish dreams from reality - that if all dreams were lucid from birth, the boundries between dreams and reality would be broken down, which would probably be bad in an evolutionary, pure ‘survival of the fittest’ sense. Or something. But if there ARE people out there that lucid dream naturaly, I guess I have to rethink things. So strange that they don’t seem to want to explore it too. I’m always puzzled when people have a negative reaction towards lucid dreaming - especially when people are worried that I’m damaging myself somehow by ‘tinkering’ with my dreams…like it’s going to cause me to snap and take a gun to work or something. My other favourite is - “but you won’t want to do anything else but sleep!”

My sisters friend said he sae thing to e when i asked her. She dint seem to care at all. So id lik to propose another possiblility o this case. First of all we cant get in their head so we dont actually know 100% that they r havng LDs all the time. Sometimes i hve normal dreams where i know im deaming and even sum control but the experience of becoming lucid or being lucid is never there. I assume u all know wut im talkin about. There is a difference between Lucid Dreams and knowing u are dreamin. Perhaps they have the potential to always be at that one point in dreaming where doin an RC gives u the luidity that is undenyable 1 of the best experiences we can have. So think about it how come all the people that work at havin LDs get them and actually have great experiences with it when people who do nothin that would evoke them having LDs say they know they r dreaming and dont care. It doest seem lik an LD. the defining point of a dream being considered a Lucid Dream requires these things in my mind. 1.) 100% knowledge that you ar dreaming and awareness of ur surroundings and acting on it. Just plain knowin it or havin a hunch r not the same. 2.)Atleast some control and not only that but the extreme Will to control. 3.) The feeling of knowledge and power wave that hits you at the moment of lucidity that is indecribable.
Lucid dreams are exciting no doubt about that and the same exhilirating feeling i get is the same every time. So instead of killing urselves with envy just consider the possibility that the person has no idea wut they r talkin about.

Good point. They could only be experiencing FLD’s, False lucid dreams. Most LD’ers know what a false LD is. It’s when you seem to realize you’re dreaming, but you never turn “lucid.” It’s hard to explain, but if you have experienced FLD’s you know exactly what I’m talking about. In the dream you seem to know you’re dreaming, but you fail to have your “waking mind consciousness.” You forget all the things you said you would do the next time you’re lucid. :neutral: Most all of my non-LDs are FLDs. I could say I know I’m dreaming in all of my dreams, but not all of those are lucid.

I think that is the defining point in lucidity. When you succeed to bring your waking consciousness along with all of your ideas and perspectives into your dream enviroment.

DreamAddict, if most of your dreams are ‘false’ LDs, do you enjoy having the occasional oblivious dream?

ok for some reason my quote thing dont work but here goes

u said that you didnt understand why people didnt like lucid dreams if they could do it every night. or they found it booring.

Look at it this way. I am sure most people have heard of or seen an aura. i have been training myself for well over a year to see them and i have had some sucess, i was sitting in class one day and i noticed an aura around a teacher, my friend who knows me very well asked what i saw, i told he i could see an aura. He tells me he can see them all the time and he gave me a good discription 2. He didnt seem that exicted by it.

I figured out why too. If you have been able to do something your whole life the it is not speical, not cool, not strange, but oridany, it is like talking or writing. Some one who has never been able to do it suddenly learns and it is the best thing in the world, he can now do something he has never been able 2 do.

Think about that. That is why i dont want 2 have an ld every night

I appreciate with what you’re saying, but keep in mind that a person allows an activity to be boring.
For example, haven’t you ever had an incredibly boring/repetitive job? I have & after awhile I’ll find something to make it interesting. Whether it be getting to know your coworkers well, or just reading a good book.

I’m a natural LDer and my LDs were NEVER boring. I just didn’t enjoy them until I got some control of them.
So I appreciate your sentiments, but I can’t help but to agree with DreamAddict that they are actually experiencing FLDs - unless they’re just that dull :flower:

The following statements are just my beliefs.
:wink:
I think that we are all natural born lucid dreamers.
Then as we grow, some of us (actually probably most of us) lose the ability to control our dreams consciously. We have social pressures, money worries, active lifestyles, TV!!
Some of us try to regain lucidity in the dream world to help us out in the so-called real world or for just a bit of escapism. <—thats me!
The ‘False Lucid Dreams’ you talk about, I have experienced…they are weird. You sort of realise you are dreaming and can somewhat control your actions for a short period but never get to the lucid realisation, you just slip back into normal dream mode.

Imagine people who can’t even remember their normal dreams…just being able to remember one dream out of the millions they must have in their life-time must seem like an enormous accomplishment.

On another note, I have only seen an aura once. A lad I knew, last time I seen him before he was in a fatal accident. He had a beautiful glow around him and he looked very angelic. I thought to myself, ‘‘Wow, he looks stunningly beautiful.’’
The glow around him was pure white…no colours at all. Anyone have any ideas about a pure white aura?

I’m not sure about auras specifically, but I’ve experienced something very similar with my grandma before she died. She had just gotten out of the hospital and I remember thinking that she had never looked so healthy and beautiful.
Also, I’ve heard before about family members “sensing” a change in a loved-one right before the end. It’s kind of a beautiful thought… :flower: