Has anyone try this method or something similar?

Hey all,

Been lurking on and off here for sometime now…

I just thought up something I was gonna try, but I’d like to know if anyone has tried it first or something similiar. And of course I’d like to know their results…

Anyways, I have one of those digital watches that I’ve set to do a double beep every hour. I’m trying to train myself while I’m awake to do a RC everytime it goes off. Problem is, I’ve had it set to do the double beep every hour for the last 5 years at least. So my mind is so used to it I never realize when it beeps. My theory is that I’ll put the watch next to my clock rest, and hopefully it’ll go off while I’m dreaming and make me do a habitual RC.

It’s probably gonna take a while to get my mind trained to do a RC when my watch beeps, so was first wondering if anyone had success in this method or something similar?

Thanks,

Matt

Hey, That sounds damn smart. I think it should work. Best of luck

Mattmsty others have tried that, never heard about how good it works…
So let us know plZ :wink:
Some do it with recorded voice…so instead of a beep, you here your own voice saying you are dreaming! Think that will work somewhat better, at least i heared some ppl and Laberge having positive results from experimenting with it!

Jeff

That’s a very clever technique! It sounds very logical and will undoubtably work given time. Thanks for the great idea! Now the only thing I need is a watch! :wink:

I think I should by myself a watch :wink:

Atheist has about the same idea. You should talk to him and share ur examples.

This is a pretty nice coincidence. I started doing this about a week ago, and the results were inspiring. Having my watch beep every hour was something that I was definately not used to, so it worked well. Sometimes I just don’t hear it for any number of reasons, but I try to make up for it whenever I notice that this has happened. It certainly is a good way to train yourself to do RCs.

As with any other method that has you doing RCs all throughout the day, you have to remember to keep doing them properly. Simply looking at your watch and looking away isn’t going to help. You need to be sure that you’re being critical with the test, and that you can prove that you are definately not dreaming. I’ve had several dreams in which I’ve done a ‘Reality check’ but failed to obtain lucidity because I wasn’t being critical enough.

Let me know how it works out for you, Matt. :smile:

I’ve been inspired by Atheist to do this, and so far I found it a helpful RC reminder. Most dream events occur while talking to people, and IRL who says “wait, I need to do a RC…uhm check the time” while involved in a deep conversation? A nice reminder is always good to do MILD during the day in every situation, even if you can’t just then do a RC.

matt, don’t worry, you’ll be conditioned to think RC really fast. Only problem is hearing the watch or being too concentrated in something…

With this method I’ve definitely been doing more RCs; sooner than I anticipated. Just a matter of time before I get into the habit.

Whenever I do my RCs I ask myself:

1. Where am I?
  2. How did I get here?
    *On this question I try and think of all the past events during the day that led me here (Waking up, eating breakfast, driving to school/work, etc.)
  3. So…am I dreaming?

No LDs yet though, but I still haven’t given up nor do I plan to. :content:

Well, it’s been about two months now since I started trying this method. The results were a bit disappointing. :bored:

I really got into the habit of doing RCs, but no LDs so far. I think that the sound of my watch being too low might have had something to do with it. I suppose it just doesn’t get through to me when I’m sleeping. I do think I’ve had an increase in dream recall however. I used to be able to remember 1 or 2 dreams a night, but pretty much only on nights where I get at least about 7 or more hours of sleep. Now l’ve been able to remember dreams even on nights where I get only 4 hours of sleep. Today I only got about 4.5 hours of sleep, and I remembered this dream where me and a few of my friends were making hundreds of over-stuffed 10 pound quesadillas in my friend’s microwave. I didn’t know you could taste food in dreams until the recent discussion about LD eating. My dream ended before I could eat any of them, but I love quesadillas and I’m sure they’d have tasted pretty darn good.

Anyways, I kinda lost motivation to continue this RC method for now. Lately I’ve been trying to WILD, and so far I’m feeling more comfortable with it. The RC method required too much effort on my part I think.

Matt

Hey, i jsut got a watch for easter and have imediatly begun to do an RC whenever i see it, because i put it on the first time with that intent, ive been remembering pretty well…Maybe since ive never been in the habit of wearing watches ill have more sucess.