realized i'm dreaming, but couldn't move

hi everybody

i’m new here.
i’m trying to have lucid dreams since about 3 or 4 weeks. about 4 times i was very close to have one. what happened to me was always the same:
woke up in my bed, recognized some dream signs,( for example hand coming out of my mattress)told myself i’m dreaming, then wanted to get up, but felt like paralyzed! i remembered tholey writting about that in his book. i think his advise was to relax, not to panic! so i tryed to relax for some time, after a while i could make it to the light switch, of course the light didn’t work! i just got up and walked in the living room to make another reality check, checked the digital watch. it showed something like 7200! i told myself again this must be a dream, but still didn’t get really lucid! so i remembered that spinning should work very well. i did, but all that happened was that i lost control over my body and hit the wall with my had. than i woke up!
why didn’t i get lucid even though i did the reality check, and told myself: i’m dreaming??? i would be happy about any advise!

It sounds to me like you were lucid, just at a very low level. Lucidity varies in intensity, I’m sure you’ve probably read that before.
When you said, “This must be a dream!” You were lucid. Lucidity is only the knowledge that you are dreaming, and from your account of your dream, it sounds like that was the case. You just werent very lucid.
You’ll get better at increasing your level of lucidity as time goes on.

Hey

I’ve had the same kind of experience. I had my first two lucid dreams in the last couple of weeks but they were the same kinda “low level” lucid dream were I had a really low level of control. The second one was worse were i couldn’t really move around much but I knew i was in a dream. It was kinda frustrating. I’m glad someone else is experiencing the same thing…Please post your suggestions for those of us who are new round here. Thanks.

My first couple of LD’s were very low level. I just kept at it. Now they are a higher level, but I’m working on making them last longer.

hi seven

i wonder how long have you been trying to have lucid dreams until you had that experience? i’ve been trying hard to have a better “lucid” dream since that happened to me, but it just got worse! since about one week i find it very difficult to even remember a dream!

hey redstone, thanks for the advise!

Hey,

I think either I got lucky or my brain has a propensity for LD’s. I had only been trying for about a week before I had my first LD. My second one came about a week after that. Each one happened after waking up very early then going back to sleep after about 30 min. I have been writing down my dreams or at least going over them in my mind several times and analyzing them as soon as I wake up. Maybe like Josh says, we should keep at it and see what happens. Good luck. Let me know if you figure anything out.

I’ve experienced that before. Don’t worry. It happens in dreams sometimes. It’s just one of those pecularities of REM sleep.

Somewhat of a similar thing happened to me (refering to the first post), but I think I was at an extremely low lucidity level, or not even lucid at all, last night (my fourth night of “trying” for a lucid dream, and of recording my dreams) I dreamt I was walking down a corridor and looking at a huge clock at the end of the corridor and I was also walking along and looking back at my hands a lot, the thought of dreams at the time I think occurred to me, but I don’t think I got lucid really becuase I didn’t feel at all in control of it. Also I didn’t notice anything wrong with the clock or my hands.
I have pretty good dream recall, the first time I decided to keep a dream diary I recorded 4 dreams and about the same since and in quite a lot of detail. I have never naturally had a lucid dream, so I woner if anyone can estimate how long it will take me to have a lucid dream. (sorry if this has been asked before, I haven’t looked through everything)
Going off on another track, I’ve recorded 15 dreams so far, and I haven’t been able to find any pattern in them at all! Is this normal, will I just have to keep recording for longer until I do have a pattern emerging before I can do any “real life” reality checks effectively?