an observation on sleeping conditions

Hello all !

I would just like to talk about some observations I made during my trip abroad, during the last 10 days, and maybe one could shed light on what looks like a mystery to me.
First of all , let me give you a background, so that you can make more sense of my writings.I am a novice lucid dreamer. I have been interested in dreams and OOBES for about 1-2 years, I started practicing about a year ago, but not too intensely - more like every now and then. On for two months, off for one… I haven’t had any mind-boggling results till now - just 7-8 lucid dreams (longest one lasted about 15 seconds) and one OBE experience that lasted 3-4 secs. My dream recall fluctuates all the time. Some days I could remember 3 dreams per night (I would wake up in the middle of the night and write it down) , and other days I couldn’t remember a single thing.
That was the case for the last month, with few exceptions. I couldn’t remember almost anything, and I had about 1-2 lucid dreams that lasted only for 3-4 seconds.I used to sleep for about 7-8 hours every night, mainly because I just could not sleep any more, even if I wanted to.

11-12 days ago I travelled to Austria, where my cousin studies . (I live in Greece) From the first night I knew something had changed. These 8 nights I slept in his flat, were the best nights of my life.
Nothing I did during these 8 days would I do normally in Athens. I changed my dietary habits, my time schedule, everything. What is really weird though, is that this was not stable during these days.
For example. during the first 2 days I drank beer. Loads of beer for my standards. About 1- 1.5 lts (I don’t drink beer normally!!!) every time. Then I reduced it to 0.5 lt and then to nothing…
The same with food. At first I ate very heavily at night. Sausages or pizza, just before I went to bed . Then gradually, I stopped, or I ate very early.
Other conditions: I started sleeping very late, at about 4-5, and then gradually I slept 3,2,1 12.00 , even 8.30 in the afternoon !!!
The thing is, in that place I COULD sleep for more than 12 hours, and it wasn’t because I was tired or anything. During my last night there, I slept at 8.30 and woke up at 10 !! (13 1/2 hours later!!) And EVERYTIME I woke up after 6-7 hours to go for a piss and I didn’t feel sleepy at all - however I didn’t have trouble going back to sleep immediately. Mind you, every time I went to the bathroom I just thought of how nice it would be if I could lucid dream . And that’s what would happen: about 4 times out of 8 I had a lucid dream that lasted more than normal. I must have had several more, but I m not sure they were exactly lucid - I did some reality checks but they didn’t convince me !! (Looked at the time twice and it changed, but I couldn’t get my hand to pass through the window so I concluded I wasnt dreaming - stupid, I know)
Another time, I visualised a room and I entered it (!!) There were 4-5 people inside , and I decided to go talk to one (first time an LD doesnt fade out on me !!) of them who wore a white garment. I told him “Do you KNOW which part of my psyche you represent??!?!?” and he answered “YES!!” (stupid question, stupid answer)
Other conditions: Extra cold room, no sheets. My cousin gave me his quilt, and a pajama (pants), I also wore socks (I never wear socks in bed)
result feeling of very nice heat inside the bed.
Also , during the day I NEVER thought of lucid dreaming. Instead, back in athens I think of it often. I was also in a relatively good mood, whereas in athens I was feeling reeeeally blue for about a month…

The thing is , now that I have returned, everything is exactly the way it was before I left. Almost no dream recall, can’t sleep more than 8 hours, really blue. Only in my first night sleep I had a very vivid dream , but that was probably because I saw it just before I woke up in the morning…There are lots of clues in here. If only one could rule out all the irrelevant ones …?
Thanks all, and sorry for my lengthy post…
OSfranky