Words losing their meaning

Have you ever said a word so much that it lost it’s meaning. Or you write it so much it doesn’t seem right.

hah, yeah.

i can remember once i was repeating one word, (i think it was someones name), so much that i actually forgot how to pronounce it for a second.

and i can remember writing words that dont seem right, i have actually gone and checked the spelling of them.

Yeh, every now and then I will say a word and it just sounds wrong.

So I repeat it over and over again until it just drives me crazy… :scream:

That happened to me just last night. I was writing in the I’m going to have a lucid dream tonight forum. I wrote lucid so many times I looked at it and said it but it seemed wrong. I forgot what it meant for a couple of seconds.

Yea, I know what you mean. You can say something over and over and it seems way different. One time I forgot how to read ‘why’ I just couldn’t get it, I was sitting there for like 30 secs trying to say it but I couldn’t.

I think it works the same with looking at things, look at something or someone for that matter and actually look at it properly and then it ends up looking different somehow.

Hehe last night I was doing MILD and I kept repeating “I will have a Lucid Dream. The first thing I will do is stabilize the dream. I will remember that dream.” 3 things to subconscious at once lol. I kept repeating it and at first I messed the order of the statements up and then I started messing up the order of the words… then I forgot what I was saying. See, happens to me all the time. I guess I should be more serious with saying the words instead of just repeating it without meaning. No I did not have a lucid dream. I had nothing on my DJ the next day either. Oops. Guess I screwed my subconscious over.

Once I stared at my hand for so long it looked alien like. Almost like I’ve never seen it before.

that’s happened to me before, and it always makes me wonder how anyone could ever make up a language. and about the alien thing…i’m sure to other beings, if there are any, we’d look completely unorthodox to them

Yeah, it happens to me. I’ll be saying a word over and over, then I just completely lose the meaning. It’s just happened now, I’ve been thinking of the word meaning so much, I just lost it’s meaning. :eek:

I have a huge list of words that don’t look right if you stare at them long enough.In fact enough is one of them,and any other word that ends in ‘ough’,and also words that end in ‘ight’.The word ‘parent’ looks wrong to me too.I’ll stop here so I don’t wind up making a list that goes on and on.

Friend,fiend,weird,gyro,eerie,nary,girl,parry,very,ferry,area,clothes,firetruck,bells,balls, nothing,every,aviary,vary,jack,plant,shimmy,Jimmy,give,three,seven,thirteen,nineteen, ninty,thousand,million,goggle,nimble,quick,words and xylophone.

Thats funny you mention this, i have the same feeling sometimes when i watch an arm or a hand of myself i just cant help but hinking it looks weird and alien somehow…

Yeah, I get this a bit, and sometimes words just look funny if I haven’t read them for a while. Although hivemind - none of those words look weird to me, so maybe the list differs from person to person.

Who knows, maybe you guys ARE aliens :eek: :alien: :eh:

Ah, crap! Now people know I am an alien! :alien: I better run for my life!

I know it wouldn’t make too much sense to you,but when I look at any word long enough I lose focus and the words seem to drift apart.When I focus on the word again the letters don’t seem to fit together anymore.

Yeah,I’m also an alien :alien: (<- I just love this smilie)

heck, we are all aliens!!! :alien: my fav smilie is this one :confused:tupid: no offense hivemind!! i just love that smilie! happy dreaming all!

Try playing Scrabble, im sure nothing would make sense to any of you, when your actually being scored on your words too. I think it adds more pressure and confusion…hehe :grin:

I play Scrabble online almost every day (my second greatest addiction after this site).

Not only do normal words start to look funny…but funny words start to look playable…it is truly amazing how many weird words there are out there that the ‘Official Scrabble Dictionary’ recognise as valid.

I play as DiSLeKSiC on playsite.com and iGot2Qs on games.com.
Anyone want a challenge just look me up.

:tongue:

Intresting :wink: , I have to try it