The Observer Mindstate

For starters, I’m not sure whether this would be considered Lucid Living or not. I can’t really figure out a clear definition of what that means, even after looking through the big Lucid Living topic a bit. Perhaps I posted this in the wrong forum, or I should have just posted in the Lucid Living topic, but since I wasn’t really sure I just posted it here.

Something very interesting happened to me earlier tonight; I was eating dinner with my mom at a resturaunt, and I got that feeling that you’re watching yourself from outside, as if you’re just observing your actions instead of doing them. This happens to me a lot, numerous times a day. Anyway, I decided to mention it to my mom. She referred to it as “the Observer”, and told me some things about it. Anyway, as we were talking, it became more and more intense, moreso then it ever has been before. It became so intense that my physical sensory input (smell, touch, taste, etc.) all decreased in intensity, furthering the feeling that I was observing someone else feel these things instead of me.

As it got more and more intense, a feeling suddenly hit me. It felt almost identical to going lucid in a dream, but in real life; I even got the feeling I was about to lift off the ground and fly away. This persisted for a minute or two, and then I stopped it and wen’t back to a normal mindstate so that my sensory input would return to normal and I could better taste a hashpuppie :grin: .

The whole thing was pretty profound, and I don’t really know what to make of it or what it means. All I know is that it felt pretty cool, and that I hope to be able to cultivate it again in a situation thats not quite as inconvienent (I wanted to be able to taste the food, which became a little hard to do). I guess I’ll have to work on it; perhaps if I can mantain it long enough and regularly enough it’ll carry over into my dreams and activate lucidity. :cool_laugh:

Yes, you’re talking about lucid living but is also welcome here anyway :smile: . Being the observer, the watcher is one of the ultimate lucid living-exercises so it’s not strange you got this “lucid”-feeling. However don’t focus too much on the specific feeling you had, because it’s difficult to be the watcher while at the same time craving for some feeling that is not here right now. It’s a matter of welcoming, accepting all things without making judgments about it - this works like a terrific mind opener if practiced every day. Don’t analyse, don’t judge, just watch and accept. You could also try to combine it with sitting meditation, i.e. sitting still for a certain period every day and not doing anything - just coming back to the present moment every time your mind wanders away. Over time you will be surprised how enjoyable ordinary reality will become. It will even improve your lucid dream-skills, I assure you it’s the best lucidity method in the long term. Keep it up, this mindfulness practice, it is definitely worth it :smile:

Lucid Living is much better than regular living. May I share my views in difference inbetween Lucid Living and Regular Living?

In our regular living, we’re like a robot. We do things without realizing it. We intend to repeat the cycle everday. It can get boring sometimes. Also in our regular living, we don’t see anything that we can appreciate of.

BUT… in our LUCID Living, we’re free. We do things consciously and appreciate it. Like you said, you’re more aware of what is going on around you. You observe. In lucid living, you break out of robot-like cycle and is aware.

You can achieve that same lucidity in meditation. It will help you to see the world differently. First Lucid Living experience can be a rushing experience like a first lucid dream. Learn to enjoy it because you’ll experience it again… just like LD… once you experience it, you will experience it again. :smile:

Lieve dromen (sweet dreams!) :wiske: