Why do dreams feel SO SCARY???

My dreams are almost always fine until I start to realize I’m dreaming… then all of a sudden the dream turns to almost terrifying for no real reason and I either wake up or I’ll change it to another dream and continue in the non-lucid dream.

Another thing I do is whenever I start getting scared in a regular dream, I’ll become lucid enough to change where I’m at so I’m not in the scary situation anymore.

The thing is though, WHY do they feel so scary in the first place??? If I would get such a paniced feeling almost everytime I went lucid, I could really have some fun with them! What’s up with that you know? :shrug:

Hi Bishy, i’ve had almost the same experience as u do. Let me ask u a few questions first, how do u feel after waking up in such dreams?? In my case I felt ANGRY!! :grrr: Especially if it happened so often until i felt like a genuine fool!! Maybe i’ve accidentally MI(as in mild induction) myself to be aware of it, and u know what?? It actually works… after a few time being in a nightmare, i finally got my first LD and it was in a nightmare… the fear factor had gone altogether… It was FUN!! :content: This time, im in control… but not to the extent of controlling dreams, just being in control of my dream self… Just try it, u’ve got nothin to lose right?? Good luck…

When talking about fear in dreams, I know something you all should try. A dream roller coaster. I tried one that whent up in the sky to the sattelits and I where pushed down with an extreme force down to earth. I don’t know if you have tried the machines that take you high up in the air and pushes you down faster than to fall, but the feiling was the same, it was extream and one of the funniest things I’ve ever done in a dream even grater that flying on a broomstick.

I know how you feel… I am scared of dreaming and becoming lucid. One time I just dozed off in thought without even realizing it. So I started thinking about dreaming and eventually I visualized a water bottle (don’t know what made me think of that!). Anyhow, as soon as I saw it in photorealism I knew I was dreaming which scared the **** outta me so I woke up…

It because when you’re dreaming, its pretty much your brain working out things that you haven’t done yourself in real life. So if theres things that you’re scared of then thats a problem that your mind is trying to work out in your dreams. So really its better to face your fears in your dreams rather than just ignore them and change your dream when they come along

Just elaborating on what Jabbervock said…

I think you might get scared because it is something you haven’t experienced yet. For example, say in real life you’re at home by yourself at night, it’s 3am, and you’ve just watched a few horror movies. Then you see a few books floating around the room in midair. If this happened in real life there’s a good chance you’d be sh***ing your pants because it’s new, something you have seen before and don’t know what it is. That might be the reason and I think once you get used to LDing the fear will go away.