I often cannot remember the first part of my dreams

Hi!

I’m interested in LDs for just four days now, so my experience in writing my dream journal and recalling dreams is not that great.
I just had one flash of lucidity one night after which i got so excited that i woke up.
Usually i remember 3-4 dreams in one night and wake up most of the time when I had one. My problem is that i cannot remember the first part of my dreams or even only can remember the end of them when i wake up and want to write them down. Sometimes i get parts of them back into my mind but not everything. I know that there was something before, but i don’t have more than a vague feeling. I’m really annoyed about this. :confused:

The later in the night i had the dream the more i can remember.
Maybe i have this problem because i was smoking a lot of weed in the last time, but i stopped it nearly two weeks ago. I stopped drinking alcohol, too. I think that might help, too.
Do you know this problem or something similiar? What can I do against this?
I already read the thread about increasing the ability of recalling dreams with vitamins, etc. So i think i will check out if this works. But maybe you know some “recalling techniques”?

Greets from Germany,
Amoebe

Hey, what I do is just try to remember what happened before the last thing I can remember, and then slowly go back as far as I can. Its good if you can remember a bit from the begining, because then you can go forward, thinking, ok what happened next. As for remembering the beginings of your dreams, well dreams don’t just suddenly start like a movie or something, your thoughts slowly develop into it, and so you’d find it very hard to find the exact start of your dream, the best you can do is just keep remembering back as far as you can go.

I do the backward-thinking also. At first, I can barely remember anything, but then I’ll go back a bit, and it’s like doors are being unlocked, one by one.

Yes, i read about this and tried it. I was successful, but I did not get as far as i wanted to.
One time i went to the bathroom and after a while of thinking i was able to recall a whole dream. I’ll try walking… :smile:

I also do the backwards thinking thing, but most of the tim if I can’t remember the first part I never get it…it used to really annoy me, but I just thought, well if i’m not going to remember it, there’s no point in stressing, that’s just gonna make it worse, so when i get to the point when i really can’t remember anything else, i just right in my DJ that somethings happened before but i dont know what…if i haven’t remembered when i look back at it after a year…i obviously wasnt meant to remember…at least i can remember the other parts of the dream, and a lot of dreams per night…which is more than some people…i just dont bother any more!