How long do LDs last?

Im a beginner at this, in about 6 months of trying I had 3 very short LDs, and was wondering how long it should be before you can say you had a sucessful one?

The 2 short ones :

within a few days I thought I was in the Matrix - the kung fu training room. Morpheus explained I was dreaming and that I could change my speed and fly etc… he attacked me and i moved quickly to block him, but then my mind thought “wow … i can control this…” he punched me and I woke up. Running time : 30 secs?

2nd time I realised I was in a dream and thought “I will make this dream more interesting”… then i ended up having a demonic baby floating after me (I didnt ASK for that, i just wanted it to become interesting) but when running away I realised I could do huge balletic leaps across large gaps, and I got into a fight with 2 monkeys who could do kung fu. I woke up when Charles Darwin called his monkeys off. Running time : 1 - 2 mins?

and yesterday, I realised I was dreaming, and changed the scenery into a skyline, then I did another matrix style thing, and tried to jump the gap. The dream faded as I was making the jump, so I guess I failed.

“Everyone falls on the first jump.”

Running time: 10 secs?

So, for 6 months work, is that pretty useless, or do i have potential ? how long can you keep them up for? Most the time I realise I am in the dream and my mind wakes me up too early and I never can control them much.

PS what is the MILD technique?

Mmm they can be much longer but there is also much for you to explore in your lucid dreams…like many tech u didnt hear of or tried yet!
Explore :wink:

Let us know how you develop your ld time!
For Mild see the Quest for Lucidity forum:)

Jeff

It’s very important that you stabilize your dream before doing anything else. Touch something, pay attention to the environment and try not to stand still for a long time (this is one of the reasons of early awakening).
If you don’t stabilize the dream there’s much chance you will wake up. With practice your LDs will become longer and longer.
In the beginning, most of my LDs lasted only several seconds. My longest LD so far is about 15 minutes. Good luck with it! :wink:

Well i’m quite new to this and I just had my 2nd LD about 5 days ago… My first LD i’ve ever had felt about 15 minutes… but this last one that I had felt like a couple hours.

A ld is never a couple of hours, but it can be that you experience it as a couple of hours. Rem stage or dream time is never a couple of hours.
It can be even that you experience is as weeks…like you dream you are on vacation, and you stay at a resort 4 a week…with big time leaps each time…or a dream that last a day, because of the time leaps…like morning and then the second part of the dream leaps to midday and then to the evening…still that wasnt real 24 hours. Could be 5 min with just big leaps in experienced time.

Jeff

Oh i see. It just felt like that long.

Will one’s perception of time during lucid dreaming become more clear with practice?

yes, it should improve as you become more lucid.
the theory is, and i think it’s true, dreams create the illusion that time is passing in the same way movies do. the scene cuts from one moment to the next (for example we se the sun shining and then all of a sudden its dark and we assume that hours have passed).
there’s a really cool description of how they proved that time passes at a normal rate in dreams in LaBerge’s “Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming.”
peace,
:smile: ian

i think mystic is right about stabilizing your dream before you try to do anything. i haven’t really done this before, just to a small extent. the lucid dreams that last the longest for me are the ones that begin very clear and stabilized. the ones that don’t last long aren’t as vivid and i haven’t tried to make it stabilized.

from now on i’m going to make sure my dream is as vivid as real life or better before i move on with the dream. i suggest you do too, good luck JamesTCT! :smile: