Training?

I heard if you practice something in a LD you will eventually do it better in real life, is this true?

the mp3 post just before this one suggests that you can be more creative while you are dreaming. i think it is very possible that if you practice something in your dreams you can get better at it, especially if it involves personal fear or anxiety. example public speaking

It has been proved that autogenic training helps building psychical skills…muscle mass grows just by thinking bout it…so sure its a good way:)

Doobiness :grin: So that means if I practice skateboarding in dreaming i will get really good? Cool!

Lucid or not, research shows that dreaming plays an important part in the learning process. That’s why you dream more when faced with new situations.

I would imagine so exodus, as long as the physics in your dream were working well enough to allow you to practice roughly the same timing you need to pull things off IWL.

This is an interesting idea. After all… you are experiencing the waking world via the mind just as you do the dream world. Stands to reason that you would be able to learn through your dreams provided that you can retain that knowledge. Would the brains tendency to dump the info pertaining to dreams during the day affect this nighttime learning do you think? I would love to hear anyone’s thoughts and or experiences with this.

Hi
Tholey sais that learning in lucid dreams works quite good with sports that afford balance (like skiing,surfing or skateboarding)
I have never tryed it though.But i think you could improve your skateboarding skills by dreaming about it (but you won´t suddenly be a profi)

Traumgänger

Just one more thought.
In sports theres a term called “movement memory”- it varies from person to person,u can also call it a talent,but its slightly different.
Anyways- the better this memory is the fatser person learns a skill.Imagine kids on the swimming ppol and a teacher showing them a particular move-some will do it perfectly right on,some will take some time-this is “movement memory”
What is a good news,this can be trained in dreams,actually its a perfect tool to learn.So regardless of sport you are in-this is the good way:)

Visualizing your play is a common coaching strategy and I would think of dreams as hyper-visualizing.

Hey Jack, do you have some site referring to muscle growth from autogenic training? I find that a little tougher to believe. Certainly not impossible though, some studies have apparently shown that there is some reciprocal growth in muscles if the opposite side is worked(work out right bicep and there is a little muscle growth in the left).

I do think that you can learn some things in dreams…but if you were lucid and was practising skateboarding, then you might influence the dream. i.e. If you were trying to make a jump and you think that you probably will make it then you will, it you think that you will fail, then you will. I am not sure, but i think this might inhibit learning because you do it right every time. i.e. No learning from mistakes.
But i guess other things would improve if you practised them in dreams, anyway it can’t hurt to try these things.
Maybe in the future us lucid dreamers will become a super race and we will be able to everything perfectly! How 'bout that for a future. :grin:

Prof. Stickgold has been doing some very interesting and research on dreaming and learning! This applies to this thread a lot.

I guess you can find some of his work on the internet as well.
Try
“Robert Stickgold” + dreams
in Google…

:smile:

Cloud- yep its known fact that while working only one part of the body the other has muscles grow too.Its used in treatment with ppl after some accidents when they cant work out with two hands but need to keep the broken one fit.If i remember it right the other one gets around 30 percent of effect even if it wasnt even touched.

About autogenic training- i rarely have links to sites:(Documentary about was shown while ago on DIscovery…hmmm…im sorry i cant help better:(
But from the way it was shown you could say its pretty known fact-they were more getting into details with it,rather than proving the fact.
Alex- right but the profit you get is getting your brain used to such activity(being upside down…so on)This is excercise everytime you do it,regardless of how sure you are you gonna be succesfull.It has also some good side effects like more safe way to do it,or becoming much more fearfull next time you try it for real.

ps.hehe Helmut,i got the impression you`re tracking my thoughts closely and allways checking them:)Remember i couldnt give you link to brain spot of time perception?:slight_smile:
Hehe most of small things i post here come from tv tho:)
but as in the first i have no doubts that u can find something on the net,i just use all my internet time being on forum and chat.
take care:)

“It has been proved that autogenic training helps building psychical skills…muscle mass grows just by thinking bout it…so sure its a good way:)”

Doh i should think before i laugh…hehe right Helmut,that sentence is (according to what i found on net)only partly true.
It was very unfortunate to use words “muscle mass grows just by thinking…”.I can see it now that while thinking about psychical skills i messed it up with muscle grow.
Maybe because the documentary was about body builders and such.Thanks for pointing it out:).

ps.But still…part of my mind thinks they said there were experiments about more physical gains from AT.I guess we will hear more about it soon.Its stuck in my head now…ill try to find who tried proving it.

It would be a big boon to people suffering from paralysis if you could grow muscle through thought alone. I’m sure it would depend on the source of paralysis though, even if it is truly possible.

Hmmf, I should have said “uneven bilateral muscle growth” when working one side, reciprocal usually refers to muscles that work the opposite direction(i know noone cares but I should have :smile: )

Maybe this belongs in “beyond dreaming” since it doesn’t really deal with attaining/maintaining lucidity? (I know the mods must have sore backs from all the moving they’ve been doing lately)

I have been thinking of something (as I usually do). After what I have read, there is posible to read 24000 words pr secund in a trence mode and get the brain to tell you the information in a dream (something like that). If we can find out a method to have long dreams during a night (LDTR) up to 12 hr or more, then we could use this time to learn. Say that U Read a book about piano in a trance. Go over the piano with your fingers so the brain knows how the piano is and how the buttons sounds. Then you wold be able to have a teacher in your dream that teach U how to play the piano. after a 12hr dream with only pianoplaing lesons you would be very good. How amasing wouldn’t it be if we could learn things over the night? BTW. wasting your lucid dreams on learning piano isn’t the thing I would do until we find a good way to have longer drems than reality (LDTR).

Has anyone very tried training in dreams before? If so what was your result?

if you are prepared to do something, even if you only are in your model world, you can do it also very much easier in the reality, because you overcome fears and doubts in a funny, entertaining way.

Hmmmm, is it actually possible to learn new things in LDs, or can you just practice and train?

Thats exactly what I’ve been curious also. I want to learn some martial arts techniques that i cant find books on or local places to learn (such as judo). I thought if you create a martial arts master in a dream and a resonable place to learn (such as a dojo) he would teach you. Very Intresting topic…