problem with lucid dreams.. i have *complete* control

We all have our set back Firehorse, but it seems to me that u r on your way to peace and happiness.

Thank you Z, you are very kind.

Probably the others already gave better advices than this one.Anyway, have you ever tried taking drugs (preferably strong psychedelics, such as LSD, DMT or magic mushrooms)?
I don´t have RL experience with these, but from my drug dream-experiences I can tell that they can have really strong effects.I can´t imagine having full control over such a dream-trip
I am seriously, there isn´t such a big difference between a RL high and a dream high as one might think

edit: Oh, I just see this can lead to some misinterpretation.Of course I do NOT advice you to take those in real life.
I only advice you to take them in your LDs

Traumgänger

how bout you donate your LDs to me, then we’d both be happy! :gni: on a better note, maybe go to the experiment section of the forum and look for fun Ideas there on what to do, like map the dream scape and such good luck! :smile:

I wish I can do those things! what did u do to trigger your gift?

As Cypher once said, “Ignorance is bliss.”

If you were really having full control of your LDs then you wouldn’t have this problem!

Every LD veteran knows that if you want to really enjoy something in your LD (anything mundane like eating a pineapple or trying on new shoes.) all you have to do is MAKE yourself enjoy it.

Sounds to me like you have full control of everything but yourself.

Firehorse, your story is compelling but I still wonder how you could get bored with LDing? Bored with reality checking-yes-, but not with the experience itself, it’s effortless and impossibly worse than sleeping.

Ureon wrote,

Actually, I can’t think of many things that I haven’t become bored with over time. The challenge is coming up with up some new approach or variation to combat the ennui.

I am of the opinion that this is the very challenge that drives humans to new frontiers.

Could it be that simple boredom is the engine behind all of humankinds greatest achievements?
I think so, but I’ve been wrong before (once or twice). :tongue:

It sure was (untill they discovered marijuana).

The LD boredom is very similar to the standard philosophical question: If one were omnipotent, would one not simply get bored and go crazy?

The answer is: OF COURSE NOT!

If one were omnipotent one would get bored only if one wanted to! In an LD the same is true. Naturally, diverting one’s natural response would be avoiding reality. But that’s what LDs are all about.

Why would omnipotence EVER get boring? If you’re tired of insane control, just try being lucid and going with the flow of the dream; try to solve the problem WITHOUT just going around it.

I really wish I could even HAVE an LD; last night, I had a dream where my friend was avoiding me during lunch and hiding away in some extension of the cafeteria where a party of sorts was going on. I went looking for him under the excuse “I’m looking for my family” (apparently kids’ families were there too), and when I entered the party room the lights all went out as if the subconscious was trying to keep me from finding him.

Had this become an LD, I would have finally tested the verbal “increase lucidity now” and, if I gained sufficient control, would have transformed this hostile party into a concert of sorts (I’d verbally summon the JB’s or the P-Funk All Stars onto the stage). I honestly CANNOT see how having constant LD’s with insane amounts of control can ever get boring. EVER.

What’s all this talk about omnipotence? You can become as experienced and powerful as an entire lifetime of practise could provide, but you’ll never be omnipotent. Perhaps if the entire dream world consisted of a single small room and a table, but that’s about the extent of it.

Controlling everything whether you want to or not would suck anyway.

Can you please properly read a post before patronizing the author?

I compared omnipotence and LDing on only once aspect! Namely: getting bored.

My apologies, Ureon. Simply misread the post while tired :grin:.

Atheist,

I must respectfully disagree, as it seems to me that within the frame of the lucid dreamworld we are indeed omnipotent . The only limitation I can see is the choice of waking or not.
Based of course on this definition of omnipotence :an agency or force of unlimited power.

FireHorse,

That wasn’t really my point. I was referring to the subconscious mind’s ability to take control of certain aspects of the dream so you don’t have to handle them yourself. For example, Dream Characters talk to you in a realistic manner, and behave unpredictably. Objects and people tend to spontaneously appear in various places, and so on. If none of this happened in my dreams, I’d be mighty disappointed. Half the fun is letting your subconscious mind provide the adventure, and you just ride it till the end.

You’re certainly not omnipotent though. You’re still restricted to a finite number of objects under your control, a finite number of senses, a finite number of characters to interact with at any one time, and a finite number of thoughts to ponder - to name only a few of the limitations which each defy the meaning of the word.

Nothing in life, or in mind, is truely omnipotent.

Atheist,

Although you put forth a good argument, I feel this will come down to a matter of opinion. The reason I say this is because during the time when I was LDing on a nightly basis, I did indeed control every aspect of the dream. Every landscape was created, every DC was manifactured and every situation was preordained, Of course when I relinquished control things happened that I couldn’t foresee, but isn’t omnipotence directly related to control?

If I may ask, have you tried to create a dream world completely under your own dominion?

I hate to reference other material since I prefer to base my opinions on personal experience, but I feel obliged to mention that this form of complete control (to the best of my knowledge) is the last step in the tibetan buddhist lucid dream technique of self awaking, before meeting face to face the true dreamer, you.

I often wonder if this is what awaited me behind that black doorway, and do I really want to recognize myself as the true God of my destiny?

This question isn’t as straight-forward as it might appear. Sure, an experienced lucid dreamer can condition an entire island from nowhere, filled with detail of the dreamer’s exact specifications… but how much of this was left up to the subconscious mind? Were you directly responsible for the shape, texture and position of each tree, and of each rock?

I think it’s worth mentioning that what I say “you”, I’m actually referring to the conscious part of the mind, and not the powerhouse imagination-beast that underlies it. While technically both parts of the mind are in fact you, I like to think of ‘control’ as an exclusively conscious action. For example, right now you’re not controlling the exact rate of your heart (unless you’re a highly-trained monk, and never told us) but technically it’s still “you” controlling it (your subconscious). My apologies if I’m not making as much sense as I could be.

Anyway, I think total omnipotence should only be called that if it’s an exclusively conscious action. If something happens that you didn’t consciously expect (such as the generation of immense detail when all you ordered was a flat table) then you can’t really say that you were directly responsible for every tiny aspect of the final image. So to me, omnipotence would be the ability to consciously and intentionally create infinite detail in an infinitely small amount of time.

I guess that’s just my opinion. I really appreciate your contribution, FireHorse. It’s been fun.

Other people may and probably do do things differently but when I make a world (or portion of one generally) all I really decide is the general theme and things important to me. I may want an island kingdom with mountains, a small town, and a castle and it will be so but I leave mu subconsious to fill in the details. I figure why bother with more? If I don’t like sonething it is easy enough to change it as I go along. Likewise I generally let the characters in the dream say and do whatever but if I want something to happen, them to act in a certain way, I make them do it. Essentially I have complete control over what I want to control, I just don’t want to control every minute detail, that would get to be a bit too much work.
Also I like to see what my mind will come up with then deal with it within specific perameters. I may decide to have a superhero dream. I decide it will be in a crime infested city. I then decide what powers I have and use only those powers in the dream. I then just go with whatever my mind comes up with me to play with. Sure, I could control more but that seems to be like programming a video game to play, I already know what will happen so what is the point in playing it?

It’s cool Magus, I was actually reffering to Atheist (Didn’t know your post was a response to mine).

Frankly, everyone here has made sense so far but in the end I maintain: It should be extremely difficult (Impossible I think) to get bored with LDing.

Full control over a LD is imho nearly impossible. Complete control would mean, that everything stands still and nothing happens, until the dreamer ‘wishes’ for something to happen. I read somewhere that people can only concentrate on one thing at the moment. If that’s right, it would mean that you can control only one thing after another. So you could make a DC walk, but you can’t make him whine or sing or whatever at the same time. If he sings and whines and walks at the same time, you have probably not full control over the dream, and your subconscious controls some of the DCs actions. If someone had full control, there would also be no unexpected moments.
Because of this I don’t like the word ‘control’. I think ‘influence’ would be a better word.

That’s my opinion.

To the “how-do-I-reduce-my-super-total-magical-power-tricks” part:

the best advice was already given: If you are ‘bored’ of your ‘control’, then just don’t ‘control’.