the big WILD topic part I

One more thing: the best time for MILD is when there’s no deep sleep between waking an dreaming. Normally speaking this occurs only after you’ve already slept 5-7 hours, or when you take an afternoon nap, or when you’ve stayed up all night and you can’t keep your eyes open. Sweet deams.

You mean Wild i guess:)

I think I have just found out the answer to my question on WILD.

I was napping in the afternoon - something which is very rare for me and I had two lucid dreams without even trying :content:
I was finding it very hard to go to sleep because of my neighbours being a bit noisy and so I never got into a very deep sleep. I then woke myself up after an hour. I went back to sleep again and almost immediately had two lucid dreams (albeit very short ones)!

So it looks like it is afternoon naps for me if I want to use WILD as a technique. :smile:

This is my technique for WILD’s, based on bits and pieces I’ve learned here and there…

What I do is listen to the buzzing/ringing in my ears as I’m going to sleep at night (I usually don’t do it in the early morning because I might have trouble falling asleep). The ringing is very faint at first, and I can usually only hear it in complete silence. I harmonize with it, by thinking the same “eeee” sound that I hear, and this seems to make it louder. As I do that, I also count backwards from 100. When I reach, 0 I start over. I also sometimes imagine either my hands or a ring of energy sweeping up and down my body. Sometimes I don’t. Sometimes I drift off to sleep before the next part…

Eventually, I start to feel the vibrations, which feel like an electric wave running through my body. For me, the vibrations start small and only last a second or two. After several sets have come and gone, the vibrations will be big enough for me to have a WILD. By then, they feel more like lightning bolts than small shocks. They also make a distinctive VOOOOM sound. If I let them go too long (which I did when I was younger and didn’t know how to get out) my body might start to convulse and jump around, usually causing me to awaken (not painful or unpleasant, sometimes I’d be laughing like it tickled).

During one of the larger (but not too large) vibrations, and while the vibration is happening, I’ll log roll to my side. My physical body doesn’t move, but my dreambody does, and when I stop rolling I should be in a dream. For me, just imagining the movement doesn’t work, I actually have to try to move, just as I would normally move. No imagination. Took me years to learn that.

Anyway, the above is everything I do, as best as I can describe it. I’m sure other people do other things, think other things, and feel other things. One important note, however, is that the vibrations have a very electric quality to them, and in the past I think a few people have confused this stage with the nice little numbness feelings.

To all people who can do WILD:

Do you have to have slept for 5-6 hours before you attempt this or can you go to bed in the evening and do it? Because when you first go to sleep at night you have about 90 mins of deep delta sleep before you can reach REM sleep where you can dream, whereas if you’ve already slept 5-6 hours you go into REM sleep much more quickly. If you are doing WILD at night what happens in the time before you reach REM sleep or can you train yourself to go straight into REM sleep?

Yes, it’s virtually impossible to get wild at evening. However, you can get wild before waking up after those 5-6 hours. If you happen to accidentally wake up for brief moment after 90 minutes of sleep, you can get wild, but in this case you propably won’t go through hypnagogigs, it will be wild starting with obe-style, means your body will likely start to shake and so on.

There is a little trick which can help trying WILD on some other time than after sleeping 5-7hrs.

If you deprive yourself of sleep for long enough(at least 24 hrs)-this may or may not work for everyone.But you will propably notice increase of hypnagogics.Actually-the longer you stay without sleep the better:)

Yes, this is the only way for me to experience HH.
Actually this is an essential feature of the “suneye”-method, people have payed money for this method.
I hate being tired, so it’s not my favourite method :wink: .

I do WILD at night, when I go to sleep at my normal time. No napping first.
It does take me a bit (15-30 minutes), so maybe REM is able to start by then, but I believe that the importance of REM sleep has been exaggerated a bit… And if you don’t have anything better to do when first going to bed, you might as well try it.

I agree. WILDs in the evening are very possible. I will try it tomorrow or tonight. When I have WILDs I don’t experience those vibrations and hypnagogic imagery everyone else does. I just simply lay down and concentrate on my buzz or whatever. Sometimes I don’t even concentrate on anything. I just lay down not even thinking about lucid dreaming or anything and just pop up in a dream. That happened on my last WILD. I have experienced hypnagogic imagery only twice I think. I had gotten up after 5-6 hours and then went back to bed after a little while. I think it was like 30 minutes or an hour. I was thinking about something and I was just suddenly at my computer desk seeing what I was thinking about on on a picture. I actually thought I was having a lucid dream but I could still feel my body in the position it was in my bed. When I tried to move it disappeared. After that I went back to sleep and it happened again. Don’t remember what the image was though but My body felt very funny. I think I was experiencing the vibrations. Then everything went black. I thought I was in a dream and tried to open my eyes. I opened my eyes in real life :eek:
I hadn’t gotten another chance that morning. So the image I saw at my computer desk that was a hypnagogic image right? I don’t have thoughs, so I’m really not sure what they really are. The only times I’ve gotten hypnagogic imagery and vibrations were the times I didn’t succeed.

firstly, the suneye method relies not on depriving yourself of sleep,
but rather getting adequate sleep (using napping), so that you
are mentally alert and physically relaxed. Secondly, WILD’s in the
morning are about 500 times easier. Forget 5-7 hours sleep.
Pick a saturday when you can sleep all morning. Im talking till
1pm here. Whenever you wake up from a dream (N.B!), and only
the later hours. (as a rule of thumb: there should be light outside),
don’t move a muscle! stay absolutely still, close your eyes, and
pretend you’re dead. Usually, (this worked first time with me),
hypnogogic imagery kicks in, in about 1-2 minutes. The later you can
sleep the better. REM sleep will be longer and more frequent, so you
are much more likely to wake during a dream.

The image you saw was not hypnagogic imagery (HI), but a hypnagogic hallucination (HH).
The difference is: HI happens with your eyes closed, HH after you opened them. HH is like a dream projection on reality.
I have HH approximately two times a week. It happens mostly after going to sleep. I wake up after 10-20 minutes of light sleep and open my eyes. That’s when I have HH. Mostly I see objects floating in the air. Sometimes persons or animals. The image always fades away, getting more and more transparent. It has never been longer than several seconds. I am always consious.

ok look, i was trying WILD right before i went to bed last night, and i almost got it i think but i couldnt get to sleep it was like i would get to the phase where i saw the flashes in my eyes but then it would just stop i stayed up from 12 to 3 trying but i just couldnt get the vibrations and then the LD state, i dosed off maybe once or twice but i realized this and immediatly started counting form 1 to 100 then back down, but this still didnt work, i really need some help with this i want to LD so badly, i did the WILD method once a few days ago, but i got frightened and came back to my body. please anyone i need help

You should’ve waited till you woke up kdwolf, not before you go to bed. It would be like a thousand times easier if you would’ve gone to sleep and then tried when you woke back up. Don’t be afraid of the feelings you get when trying to do WILDs. They are only natural. And don’t try to have WILDs before going to bed at night. People can do them but you can’t because you’re a beginner. Most people who are advanced lucid dreamers can’t have LDs at night. Just keep trying and remember to try in the morning :wink:
[/quote]

thanks for the help, but what if you you can’t fall asleep in the morning? for instance, i woke up around 8 this moring and got online and posted some in the forums, then i tried to go back to sleep but the same thing happened i got to the part where i saw the images like when you push on your eyes but then i couldnt get past that part, it was like i was stuck or something, what can i do about this???

Kdwolf, try it again. For me, the vibrations come during those doze-off periods when I’m only paying slight attention to what’s going on. Sort of when you’re right on the border of sleep and awake. Be calm when you realize that you’re drifting off, and stay in that in-between state.

Vibrations aren’t necessary, as sometimes I’ll just pop into a dream. They’re more like a big ol’ road sign saying that you’re getting close… Don’t fret over 'em too much.

If you can’t get anything after an hour, just quit and go to bed normally. You can always try again tomorrow. You might also want to try yawning. And, there’s something called the “first night effect”, which is when a subject in a sleep lab has trouble falling asleep with all of those wires hooked to his head. Usually only happens the first night, so that also might be why you had trouble falling asleep.

And you might find it easier to do in the morning. It probably depends a lot on the person.

This is an addendum to my earlier post about the buzzing/ringing in your ears. It helps to stretch my arms up around my head, and to grab my left shoulder with my right hand. This position places my biceps softly over my ears (not too tight or I’ll hear my own body), and that helps me tune into the ringing sound.

thanks for all this help, yea last night really was my first night to try and induce it so i will probly do better tonite, and my heartbeat is what annoys me alot, it keeps me awake so i try and play some music, enya usually, that helps, and also streching my arms above my head helps me too, one more question, what are some like really amazing things you guys have done in a lucid dream? id like to know some of the possibilities that lie ahead, thanks so much guys!!
kdwolf77

If you heart is so loud, why not concentrate on it as a part of WILD?

great idea i cant beleieve i didnt even think of that thanks for all this help