can i still lucid dream

sorry if this has been asked before but i’m very new to this.

Ok, i’ll start at the beginning. i was just talking to a friend of mine about dreaming and told him of the time when as a child i would have a reacurring nightmare about a witch who was trying to kill me.
After being up with me about three nights in a row my dad told me that next time i have the dream i should tell the witch that i am not frightend of her because she is just a dream.
so just as my dad had said the next time i drempt that the witch was after me i laughed at her and said she couldn’t hurt me because she was a dream and i was just going to wake myself up. which i did with no trouble. I thought nothing of this and assumed it to be normal until about half an hour agp after talking to my friend who said it was lucid dreaming.

anyway after that throughout my childhood i controlled many of my dreams but as i got older i just gave up doing it - now i dont know how to do it or even if i still can

so (finally to the point), was what i was doing lucid dreaming, if it was is it possible for me to have ‘forgotten’ how to do it and will i be able to train myself to doing it again. Also does it run in families (i’m assuming my dad can do it since he suggested it to me in the first place) and is it easier in childhood - thanks for any help you guys can give me

Raf

Some people think lucid dreaming is easiest to learn during childhood, but I myself really have no idea. Anyone can learn to lucid dream, so you most certain can learn too :content: And what you were doing as a child with the witch was lucid dreaming.

I’m not sure if LDing runs in families, but having encouragement from family members probably helped you LD. Hopefully it won’t be too hard for you to learn again; since you’re already familiar with the feeling and such, you’ll probably pick it up again fairly quickly, I’d think.

Like yourself, many people develop the ability to lucid dream at a very young age. Most of them also lose it at some point in favor of regular unconscious sleep. This doesn’t mean you’ve ruined your opportunity, it just means you’ll have to start again from the beginning – like most of us had to. It doesn’t matter how old you are, or what experiences you’ve had in the past, you can always get back into the routine if you dedicate yourself to it.

Take a look around the website for some popular techniques when starting out, and welcome to the forum. :smile:

Not necessarily at the beginning- this guy (or girl… might wantcha set your gender in the profile thing over there…) seems to take dream signs very well. You should start with the ol’ RCs/with dream signs and MILD with WBTB. I guess you can check out the “Newbie Advice” even though you’re really an expert with amnesia??

It’s much easier to learn it in childhood and there has never, ever been discussion about lucidity through heredity. Of course, there’s a possibility that natural lucid dreamers would make more natural lucid dreamers, because they might keep the same abnormalities with them, but mostly it’s just the effort. You can do it.

It’s very easy to “forget” how to lucid dream if you stop trying for a while, but you can get back into the groove (…) with a little practice. Good luck and welcome to the forum. Be sure to post anything that troubles you, (you could also do a search, much faster) and we’ll answer them.

I don’t think the ability to lucid dream is something you inherit, but that doesn’t mean your family doesn’t directly influence it. Some families are very open to the idea, and teach their children from a young age to find significance in their dreams, and learn to control them. They retain this ability as they grow up, and become ‘naturals’, while the rest of us are told to basically ignore dreams and get on with waking life.

Anyone can develop the ability, it just takes a little effort to retrain your sleeping routine to allow it.