Is lucid a sin?

To stop some monster attacking me once I just said ‘Come, Holy Spirit’ and it was completely disintegrated. Try using prayer to God and if it’s a person bless that person. I think you’ll see a difference.

ClarkKent thats an old trick…it works with love just as well…if u confront an evil agressive monster with love in your dreams it also will vanish.

Jeff

I wish I read this earlier :smile:
I have some thoughts on this…
Like someone said earlier, what a sin is depends on the person doing it. Remember also that not everyone uses words like sin, as they are not Christians. For the sake of my post, lets call them, ‘moral standpoints that should not be crossed because of a belief system’. Maybe thats a bit long.
Anywhooo…lucid dreaming is an engine for self improvment. Its like, a vehicle for exploaring the mind and the universe, to find out who you are and better ways to act in society, to re evaluate your views on the world, or to just have a super awesome time. Needless to say, the list is extensive. So, if you look at it that way, Lucid Dreaming cannot be a sin, unless your religion preaches that you never try to learn anything about yourself or the world, or have fun, and I don’t know any religions like that.(Except for the fun part)
So, now it falls to your actions in the lucid dream. Like I maintained before, what a sin is depends on your beliefs, or the belief systems you conform to. But, I wonder, if you cannot truely ‘sin’ in a lucid dream. Like I said, I dont like that word, but…lets say in a dream, I kill someone trying to hurt me. Thats murdur, a sin. I never actually killed anyone though, and the guy I ‘killed’ was just a creation of my mind, but there’s the rub right there; just trying to make your problems dissapear in a second isn’t a very good way to try to get through life. It would’ve been much better to try to talk my problems out, or to love my enemy, something else many religions teach.
So, after all that, here’s what I’m getting at. You cant really do any harm to anyone else, that is, ‘sin’, but you can potentially limit your growth as an intelligent being, which, if I liked the word sin, I would call a sin.
Anyway dreams are a source of knowledge an inspiration in the bible, so, what could be wrong with lucid dreaming?

Lucid dreaming can be a very dangerous topic for fundamentalist religious people. Once you have experienced lucid dreaming, you can see how ANYONE could have experienced the things that our prophets tell us were direct messages from God. Could it be that so many deeply spiritual people who believe they have spoken with God, or angels, or Shiva, or burning bushes, etc. were actually people who stumbled into a lucid dream and believed it was real? It actually sounds more plausible than just about all of the religious texts I’ve read. And what a coincidence that just before so many monumental experiences these guys all seemed to have set themeselves up for a WILD, i.e. Jesus in the desert, Buddha under the Bo tree, Hindu meditation.

OsakaWilson

So God uses the physical nature of the world to communicate with us. It does not detract anything from the knowledge given to us.

I totally agree Moogle, though I didn’t add that. How a person has an experience doesn’t diminish the truth in it. That’s why I added “fundamentalist”, because a person who refuses to interpret religious stories and takes them as direct face value would not accept what I said at all.

oh my, now why would lucidity be a sin? it’s just a dream! since when was dreaming a sin? hmm, regardless, it’s what you do in your dream that decides…i don’t see myself doing something against my nature in a dream or reality, so if im not a killer, then im certinly not going to kill anyone in a dream, not any human at least, maybe some monsters i find stalking me…uwahaha…umm, if you think something is sinfull, then you just decied not to do it, dreaming in it self isn’t a sin.
So happy dreaming!

I guess even all priests don’t have the same oppinion about whether it’s a sin or not. I remember when one priest once said that if you make something bad just in your mind :smile:if you even think of doing something bad) it is a sin… So according to this all bad stuff we do in our LDs would count as sins…
But I personally think that’s bullshit! I just don’t agree about some things that catholic church says, especially about what is sin and what isn’t. There’s no priest that will ever convince me that my dreams are sins! Even my thoughts are not sins! I can do anything I want in my LDs. I can’t hurt anyone by it anyway. So actually I don’t give a damn about what church says, my LDs are non of their business anyway!

And the original poster was never heard from again… Guess he must of thought it a sin after all.

You maybe right. I just looked at the original post for this and they only made one post…lucid-chicken
Sleepwalker

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:43 am Post subject: Is lucid a sin?

is lucid a sin for the christianity?I really want to do lucid, it sounds like the best thing ever but if its a sin i dont want to risk it. The idea of doing whatever you want sounds great. but is there a price you have to pay for it?

if it confuses you, dont think about it

[color=blue] So it must have been so confusing, they decided not to think about it…[/color]

I hope I won’t be doing just bad stuff in my LD’s… :content:
I’m not sure if it’s ok or not myself… in the sense that I haven’t made up my mind completely on this. It’s a difficult question to answer. Of course you can do anything you want in an LD. You can’t hurt others, that’s true. Can you hurt yourself perhaps? I don’t know 100%. Probably not since it’s like a normal dream. Having a sexual dream is ok because you didn’t choose to have it. The only difference with an LD is the control part. But it’s not really 100% control, is it? It’s being aware and having some control, but how much you can control is not necessarily 100%. If I end up imagining a sex scene in an LD, I care what the church says about it but there’s no definite answer about this - only different opinions and just private ones.
If it’s not correct to imagine it (a sexual LD), I will try to avoid it - but it’s difficult to avoid forever and should I imagine this type of LD, I’m ready to go to confession because of it. I’m talking about myself, and I respect the fact that not everyone will have the same opinion (I’m not forcing it on anyone either). It’s up to me to reflect on this, check my conscience and I came to this decision.

Please note - I believe LDing in itself is NOT a sin. It’s what you do in the LD which might be. I’m not likely to kill in my LD’s. Ok, I might make a DC disappear completely. It’s like writing a story, come to think about it.
Perhaps dreaming a sexual LD is preferable than masturbating since it’s just a thought instead of a physical action (given that you can keep yourself from masturbating after you wake up). But I still think it would not be fully ok, at least for myself.

In my next LD I hope to do things like exploring, flying, talking to DC’s, going to the crossroads. I am tempted to do things like imagine bdsm scenes (things I wouldn’t do in real life at least at present), sexual scenes in an LD, so I might find myself doing that once in a while though I’ll try not to make it often.

I hope nobody is offended by my opinion. What I really like about these forums (ld4all) is that everyone speaks their mind on all topics including faith etc - in a way where posters respect those with different opinions - which is a good thing in my opinion. We can learn from each other.

I can’t see why anyone would feel offended by your oppinion, Clark. I find that rather adimrable, that you really believe that sex even in LD would be a sin and therefor control yourself and try to avoid it.
But I on the other hand am a different kind of person and despite the fact that I’ve been brought up in a catholic familly don’t agree with church about some things as I’ve said before, like sex for example. So no matter what church says, I would never go to confession for having sex in LD or masturbating or whatever.
LD is something where you can do absolutely anything you want, even the things you would never do in RL. I don’t kill people in my LDs either, but even if I did. My LD is just my world where sin doesn’t even exist. So noone can tell me what I can or can’t do there.

I’m not religious… but I’d say LDing shouldn’t be a sin, come on you’re not hurting anyone. I agree with Minako, you should be able to do anything.

Yes. You are god. The sex goddess, as I’ve made you out to be. :happy:
You know Jack, don’t you?

Um… I’ve got two questions for you…

1. If you have sex in RL, do you have to confess it because it is considered a sin? If you don’t have to even in certain cases, you shouldn’t have to for an LD, because it never really happened.

2. What’s bdsm? I THINK I’ve heard that somewhere… uh, PM me if you can’t post it here. I’ve got a nagging suspicion it’s related to sex.

I think the guy was a leecher. One question, spawn a bunch of answers, and get the hell outta here and enjoy his LDing. Lol.

I do not believe lucid is a sin, or what you do in lucid dreams is a sin. I’m not super-religious, but I do believe in God, and I believe God made dreams for us to enjoy and relieve stress and have fun in, lucidity is just another one of Gods gifts that we should cherish, not shun. I know almost everyone has dreams that they can’t control which are of them doing terrable things, but that’s not a sin, so why should lucidity be. I would think it would be weird if someone decided to use their lucid time to gun children or something like that because it would suggest a deeper issue, but really we shouldn’t feel guilty for our normal LD’s that aren’t wrong.

I generally consider the content of my dreams to be the exclusive construct of my imagination. Is it a sin to imagine yourself strangling that annoying secretary who won’t shut up with her own phone cord? I don’t think it is - surely only if you actually went ahead with it?

Lucid dreaming is the same deal, just with a heightened sense of realism as a result of being unconscious and disconnected from the real world. Maybe it would be a sin if DCs in your opinion are actual people, but certainly not if they’re essentially just a part of yourself?

Atheist wrote Maybe it would be a sin if DCs in your opinion are actual people, but certainly not if they’re essentially just a part of yourself?
If you have full control and can call up the image of someone from your real life…in certain cases it could be seen as a form of abuse and disrespect to them.
This is the second time you have mentioned your secretary…you had better make sure it is a LD if your dream takes place at work! :tongue:

I never thought of lucid dreaming that way! Indeed, if you think about it that way, all your troubles go away… you don’t have to confess imaginations… right… because that… would be very, very tedious.

I second that. We don’t want you pleading insanity (heh they probably will think you’re insane for LDing) anytime soon. :content: That was funny.

Emm… was that refered to me? :happy: I’ve never been refered to as sex goddess before. How flattering! :content:
Jack? The sex god? Everyone knows the sex god! :wink:

Confession for sex in RL? Well yes, as far as I know sex before marriage is considered a sin, so you should confess for it. And you should also confess for masturbating or even thinking of having sex with someone who’s already married… and well, accoring to church almost everything related to sex is a sin :roll: But as I’ve said, I have a different opinion about that and I don’t see anything bad in it so I don’t consider it a sin in RL nor in LD.

Thank God (that may or may not exist) my ex religion wasn’t Catholic. :tongue:

Yes, well I cannot see how LDing is a sin. Even sex in a dream is not a sin, or killing, because it doesn’t actually hert anybody. But I would feel like I was killing a part of myself or feel to guilty to kill somebody, dream or not. However, feeling does play an important role when it comes to dicding if somebody is a sinner.

I also think that Gods words have been twisted, we can no longer trust what the bible says. Why would God condem anybody to a touchers hell, for eternal pain. That would also make him/her the devil, which I don’t beleive. Was Jesus totaly truthful, were his disipals? We can never know, unless God sets out the rules again. Prehaps he is letting us set our own rules.

[b] This topic is locked!
Part II can be found HERE!
[/b]