Dreaming for years upon years.

I’m pretty sure that you cant accually dream for that long. But you can make it seem like it with just your imagination simulating the passing of time. But if you were to count in your dream, you couldnt do it for more time than the time your asleep.

No, the guy that lived 100 years was not in a dream but in an intense salvia trip from a high dosage, im pretty sure he was just comatosed for that 100 years and saw it go by, but im not sure since i didnt read that part in the article, just that he did. I’ll try and find the article for you guys

M8’s I mean counting the days off. When you wake up their was no need to write any of it down because It was stuck in your memory since day one. I don’t think a person could stay sane after that. Don’t say your imagination did it you actualy were in that dream for 6 years. Imagine coming back to the real world. What a difference it would be. I said the medival ages because back then they weren’t advanced and all in all were almost a new society that would be hard to relate to. Note it was like reality you couldn’t deafiy the law of gravity or physiques their was no morphing colors of any sort or anything to give off it was a dream except for the fact that you were in the medevil ages.

This description is adapted from “Switching Realities: Salvia divinorum” by Anonymous, posted to the Erowid Experience Vaults. The effects were produced by two smoked hits of dried leaf. The full report can be found at erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=2139

The first thing to happen was for my vision (I could still see a little, from a small digital clock in the room) to just spin out of control, into a tunnel. I got a bit nervous, reaching for the light. With the light on, I felt a little strange, but no visual activity, so I mustered up some courage, shut off the music and turned the light out. I lay back and relaxed. What happened was wonderful. At first I kept switching realities… I was completely somewhere and someone else. I lived a complete life, had a complete memory of this life, and was just putting something on a shelf when I snapped back here to who I am. This sort of thing happened about three times. In one of them, the only thing I was aware of was that someone had just let out a blood-curdling scream. I was back here instantly, although I was scared that someone in my house had just heard that scream, but luckily it wasn’t me screaming. After this I just enjoyed some morphing color patches. They were not very bright, but very beautiful. Then the plant starting to talk with me. It was definitely female. I felt as if my mother was holding me as an infant, but unlike my mother. This was somehow more comforting. I felt better than I have ever felt in a trip…

It is not about how long the experience was that you had; how many things you did or thought. It is about how your memory puts things away. Only a matter of sticking the label ‘year’ instead of the label ‘ten minutes’. I don’t see why that is impossible!

JJJ

I’ve had dreams where I’ve thought, “Hey, I’ve dreamt this before,” but on waking I’ve realised that I actually haven’t. The dream had given me the feeling of having a memory without actually giving me the memory itself.

I can imagine that this increased-time thing works the same way, these people don’t actually have the experience of living 100 years, they don’t have 100 years worth of memories, they just have a dream-created “I’ve lived 100 years” feeling.

Over two years of being here ive met few people who claimed it happened to them.Most of the cases werent something extraoridinary- they knew that time passed similarily to how we percieve it during watching the movie-10years passing in 1 hour or so.
But there were one or two pople asking for help about how to stop lucid dreaming cuz it took them to the extreme levels- they had lived in there for proper 10 or more years,had wives,even kids,got used to the world had their ups and downs,even attended to funerals of their friends.After awakeing it was very painfull to them to adapt to reality again and thewy were scared of falling asleep again because of the fear it happening again and eventuall mentall sickness.
I believed in it especially after talking to them on chat-they were extremelly unhappy and sad and begging for help.So i believe its possibile.
Btw-as we know time is different in dream and it might be the case that in one 20 mins rem we can experience unlimited amount of happenings in time.

Yeah, a fraction of time in the real world can be an infinite amount of time in the dream world, that’s just what i believe. I know it sounds crazy.
Thats nuts that people got attached to their 10 year dream like that… with having a family and all that. Did they not know they were dreaming, or what?

Ya thats what I meant you lived a life for 6 years not just that it seemed like 6 years you had all the memory of 6 years how you slept each night. Other dreams in your dream, how you grew, everything and always knowing it’s dream but you couldn’t do anything so you releaised you had to live on. Then after 6 years the real world is gone you forgot it.
After this you have all new skills. You know new thinks skills on how to cook certain things and new games to play.

Hey Jack, This time thingy, I’ve heard all the same things said about the Fairy world. Strange how these themes seem to keep popping up…

I dont think i would be able to forgot that im in a dream after 6 years… its like remembering important stuff that happened 50 years ago, it never leaves you. Im pretty sure the fact that your in a dream wont be forgotten. Plus all the impossible things that happen in a dream. Maybe, that person grew to love his new dream life because his real world might have been real rough.

Except in this dream every thing is normal except for the fact that you’ve gone back in time. That was the only thing that tipped you off that your in a dream.

Provided it was possible for time to slow down in dreams, I certainly don’t accept that someone could live out a realistic ‘alternate’ life in there. Particularly if they were lucid; things would be forever inconsistent, and there would be no rules. If your friend died, you could bring him/her back by tapping your heels together three times if you really wanted.

It’s difficult to accept that anyone could be unhappy with a dream that lasted the equivalent of several years to their perception. Firstly, you know that while you’re asleep in RL, you’re not missing anything substantial in your life. This is basically FREE time! An additional 10 years in between 2 arbitrary days one year is a bonus - given that you only have 70 to 90 years to live on average before eternal void anyway (depending on your beliefs).

Plus, you wouldn’t be locked into doing anything that you didn’t want to do. If you were, then it’s not really an LD. If it’s not really an LD, then I don’t believe time was actually slowing down, but rather the memories of an extended time period were simply available to you upon waking (as mentioned by Badcandlejack).

There’s also the issue of how your brain can process that much information in only a few minutes real time. Time is all about perception, and to me, this means how fast your brain is going. It might be possible to enhance the speed of your brain, hence slowing down time, but probably not by any significant amount. Maybe you’d get an extra 6 minutes to the hour by increasing your brain speed 10%, but it wouldn’t healthy or easy. Anyway, you can test this now.

I propose time perception is based on the frequency at which your brain is operating. If it slows down, more things will happen between cycles, and it will appear that time is going faster than usual. If you speed it up, less will happen between cycles of observation, and it will seem that time is going slower. Now, increasing the frequency of your brain’s cycles 100 or 1000 times is just preposterous. You’d melt your brain, or something.

(Insert generic disclaimer that the above opinion is based on the physical brain, and not the spiritual mind.)

I think you could still be lucid by placing yourself in a dream where you dont use your LD powers. I’ve done it a few times, but you do tend to lose lucidity after a while, but if you were to practice, I’m sure you could. I like doing that because it is like an alternive reality, its just cool how something you did once in a dream, could effect your next dream. Like you could in your mind create a world that you would continually go back to.

Well…i had similar doubts like you Atheist but i never got to solve it.The guy wasnt regular to the forum,i think i talked to him maybe 2 hrs in total.And i remember it was all difficult back then because of many people talking at the same time,so on.Im not able to repeat exactly what he said(it was about a year ago) maybe our irc regulars would remeber that case.
I was actually more interested in psychologicall consequences of such a dream then how and why.

I think the only way he couldve lived out 6 dream years w/o snapping out of it and becoming attached, is that he had a lucid dream, but didnt know what a lucid dream was.
It’s like when we were all younger, and we had a lucid dream adn could control our actions, but didnt know we were in a dream. Since he didnt know he was in a dream, probably nothin wacky happened like flying pigs because he was in the mental mindframe that it was reality.
So i think that’s the reason, next thing happens thunder roars outside his window and wakes him up 15 minutes after his dream started, then total mental meltdown, not too pleasent.

Their is nothing stopping you to not have control. I always wondered why in most FAQ’s about LDing it says a good RC is to pace you body through a wall but don’t try your hand because it’s used to be placed onto wall in where your whole body is.
Atheist: What if their was rules and you lived a life full of them “just because you think you can doesn’t mean you can.” What if you couldn’t bring him back(Your friend) these rules bound you down to RL just in a dream.
Actualy, it’s quite easy to see how some one can be upset about a dream that lasted years. If this whole dream was a horrid nightmare. 6 years in this nightmare you could never get away from.
To what I understand Lucid is when your aware not control as stated in many places. You can be Lucid but still not have control. What about sommoning people into dreams people are have a tough time with that but their still Lucid.
Edit* Mrvanhelen posted when I was typing.

The Golden King of Avalon

I don’t buy that. The mind isn’t powerful enough to simulate 6 years of realistic events without tremendous instability. You just wouldn’t be bound by rules as you are here, while awake. You wouldn’t have to sleep, or do ANY other obligatory task (such as eat, breathe, etc). I mean, what could happen? It’s not like you’re going to die or something.

People would disappear as you turned your attention to other things, objects would randomly appear everywhere, there would be NO regular day/night occurrences, etc. Not to mention a couple of hours in a dream would allow you to develop the skills necessary to control every aspect of the dream. If not, certainly a day or 2 would be sufficient to get a feel for what was happening. Sorry, but it’s fantasy as far as I’m concerned.

The mind is more powerful then you can ever imagine Atheist.
Still I don’t get it what is stopping you from not having full control over the dream? Nothing. If the mind can genertate realistic eviroments and events and plus we live in a world bound by rules why can we imagine a world without boundrys and not one with boundrys?

Well it’s alot easier to make a world without. Think aobut it, if your world doesnt contain gravity for instance, then your brain just has everything floating, if it does have gravity though, it would be kind of weird if a piece of paper fell to the floor as fast as a rock would. Your brain has to somewhat calculate the boundries.
Your brain tends to be very lazy as well. You know the light RC? Thats based pretty much on the lazyness of your brain. Your mind doesn’t want to calculate how one color looks in the dark or how much of a shadow this would have, so it takes a shortcut, the light isn’t working = no work for the brain. In the real world its not that hard for you to remember something, or focus, because you arn’t creating the world, you’re just observing it. The brain would have to remember where everything is, and all the rules for it to be like reality, all while interpreting the nurons or whatever into a dream. For these reasons dreams tend to be very fluid.
Does that make sense or am I just rambling here…?