Psychedelic Dreaming

MTKer i know it wont make the chemicals, i jsut want to compare the differences, on how far away my dream was from the real experience

Not necessarily so. I personally believe that if you read up enough, you can reproduce most of the affects of some drugs without ever having done them. However, this is a little difficult, and yes, without ever doing the substance, you’ll never know if you got it right.

I think if you keep in mind that psychedelics are not just visual… they also deal with that particularly illusive 4th demention. And it can’t be summed up with saying “4 hours went by in 4 minutes”. Its very abstract, and when you finally can explain it, no one will be able to take you seriously.
Except maybe a lucid dreamer…

• feed_my_BRAIN

This is an interesting idea. Some psychedelic substances, especially those in their natural state, contain alkaloids that make the trip unique to that of one induced by just a pure active chemical.

Take an acid flashback for example, nothing is ingested, but the mind goes back to that altered state. Is there a chemical change in the brain when this occurs? I have experienced this very mildly (nowhere close to the intensity of the real thing) but from what I’ve heard it can be pretty intense. But a trip is a full six to 12 hour journey filled with different stages and it takes that span of time to have the full experience. Maybe some of the feelings and sights can be re-created by concentrating or by dreaming. But Its hard to think that the full and same experience can be.

I have a theory that I truely honestly believe in:
Theres no such this as a flashback. This is learned behavior we are talking about. When the brain learns to think a different way, certain settings and states of mind can bring about the same abilities that were supposed to only be reserved for non-sober life. The reason science can’t figure out why flashbacks happen is because they are busy investigating the issue of drugs as an anomoly in normal life. However, just like all experiences, it should not surprise us that we can learn things from substance use, even abilities that we had not had before. Similarly, just as there is more than one way to learn any task, drugs are not a REQUIREMENT of so called “flashbacks”. In my opinion, having a flashback before ever taking one of these substances, makes the word a complete oxymoron.
I know this because I first “tripped” while sitting in a library, completely sober (Never taking a psychedelic either then or before), staring at the floor pattern. When it started moving, it was an intensely surprising experience! :smile:

Also, I agree, your mind is not going to be able to do 8 hour trip on its own. Also, At all times you would have the ability to stop tripping. Total control.

• feed_my_BRAIN

Yes, it definately is possible to “learn to be tripping”.
I can intentionally put myself in a state of mind that is quite similiar to a light weed-feeling. This is basically what I do when I practice LL , but then I don´t imagine to have smoked weed, but to be dreaming.
Placebo effect is also interesting here:
I once ate a marihuana cake. You usually got to wait at least 30 minutes to feel any effect, usually longer (more like one hour).
After only 15 minutes I felt the first effects. I was quite sure that it got to be a placebo. However, after concentrating on it they got stronger, and after some minutes I was truly convinced to be experiencing the first effects. However, they wore off some time after and started again at the expected time.
So, it really was placebo, but it was very convincing despite the fact that I knew cannabis can´t take effect that fast.

tapir

I can relate to that, sometimes when i only have a bit of weed left, i smoke it and pretend to be higher, completely exaggerating the little buzz that i have

A different way of thinking of it is this:
Being “high” is a feeling, not an tangable artifact. Thus, feeling high, and being high are the same… the only difference is how you got there.
The same thing applys with dreams. The things we experience in dreams are as real as in external reality, the only difference being how you got there.

What you’re describing is pretty good evidence of how the brain, and not the external stimulus is responsible for much of your state of mind. A good classical conditioning experiment would be every time you smoke, listen to the same song. Then one day, just listen to the song and see if it makes you high.

• feed_my_BRAIN

Yes, also have done this mrvanhelen

@feed my brain
Can only agree here.
Btw, there is a strange background-melody when the shortnews are on my favourite radio channel. I usually don´t listen to the radio, but I did after smoking weed. Now, when I hear the news on this channel it always changes my perception a bit. It´s like a trigger for LL.

A while again I had a similiar thing with tea:
Whenever I drink spicy and hot tea, it would instantly put me into a high/dreamy state of mind for some time. Had something to do with the sensation of hot water running through my body.
Now I got quite used to it, but when I concentrate on itI can still use it as a help with LL
I don´t know when it started, but I think this isn´t conditioned from times when I was high, it´s just the strangeness of the feeling

tapir

I saw alittle thing about flashbacks, i want to discuss this, do these Psychedelics cause flashbacks? I knew that was one of the things i had accept when i ingested it. Now over the years i look back on myself, i notice hallucinations that dont exist, like i would look in the corner of my eye and think something was there, then i would look again and it would disappear. Now that is what i consider a flash back, like a false vision.

Now i want to know has anyone fell into a longer or different type of situation?

I want to ask an honest question now, if you had took any type of Psychedelics (like mushrooms, mescaline, peyote, acid, i think you have the idea) do you think your brain is the same before you ingested these things? or different?

Now if think its different, are you happy with the way you see things today? or do you regret the things you done in the past?

If you think you’ve changed from this, how? ( i’ll give my point)

hubbs:
I don’t think your brain is changed in any way, but tripping is a traumatic experience. Just like any traumatic experience, it can cause flashbacks. People were in wars, almost die, are abused as children, are raped, or have any other traumatic experience can have flashbacks.

My flashbacks situations involved just getting that insane feeling that accompanies tripping, but not to the extent of the real thing, increased perception of colors, spaces, and objects. And also sometimes seeing things in my peripheral vision like you mentioned.

Physically and chemically I don’t think they’re permanent changes in the brain according to my reading. But I am happy with the way I see things after having these experiences. I feel I have more focus now on what and who is important in life. I have a greater appreciation for the beauty of nature, in other words, I can never look at the sky, the trees, the ocean, a sunset etc. the same way that I did before. Once, while tripping I had an intense spiritual experience and ever since then I have felt much more sure about the presence of God. This has also made me more aware of what I’m doing morally in life. I also see reality differently now, I feel like I now know what it really is, which was very scary to me when I first realized this but I am kind of glad that I know now (but I still don’t think I know the TRUE nature of reality, I just kind of have a different perspective on it now). I also learned that humans minds are much more complicated and deep than I thought before. To answer your question I definitely think that I changed from this.

TheSeeker:

i was thinking do u think that we can experiance those things that u listed thrue dreams?

i feel that taking hullucnigins do give u a different perspective of this reality… which i think that maybe you cant get thrue dreaming… but it is also visa versa…

but i guess they are an like instant new perspective in a substance that we induce… our minds are very powerfull to do this without the need to take a substance

i guess i would like to try while lucid… i guess you wouldnt have to wait till u were peaking… i guess i am also lazy.
mmm i wonder what the possibilities could be…
interesting subject

Yes, but how can you have a “flashback” without ever doing a psychedelic?
I believe what are you describing is “awareness”. Our perceptions have many aspects that we ignore on a regular basis. The reason we ignore them is because they are not deemed useful to basic life skills.

For example, without psychedelics I discovered something I have since called “The Static”. It is a layer that is slightly superimposed over our visual perception and we ignore it on a regular basis. However, with concentration you can learn to see it. The reason I bring this up, is because one time on one of those websites that document experiences with LSD and such, one person was discussing what they perceived to be long term use of LSD. They began to see, on a regular basis, something they refered to as “the acid rainbow” (Most likely “the static”). The said that over time of not using LSD they managed to “teach themselves to ignore it”.
From my view, this is a humorous way of looking at it. What they were seeing is something that was always there! By ignoring it they are doing the exact same thing they were doing before! :razz:

I understand how the myth of the flashback has gotten so great if people are willing to attribute it to awareness of flaws in perception. These flaws exist everywhere. Haven’t you ever heard your voice being called in crowded room, when you know no one you know is there? Or, you see something out of the corner of your eye, but when you look nothing is there? (hubbs) These are things that happen to us on a regular basis, and normally we ignore them so thoroughly(conciously and unconciously) that we FORGET THEY ACTUALLY HAPPEN.

So really I have two conclusions here:

1. Psychedelics help you look at your perceptions more critically, helping you see flaws.
  2. Psychedelics give you something to ATTRIBUTE these flaws to, so you are more likely to remember them. Things that we would normally forget about, we instead classify under the section “flashbacks” where they are stored forever as “proof” that psychedelics have caused some damage to your brain.

By the way, the brain IS CHANGED physically through use of pychedelics, just as it is PHYSICALLY changed through normal conversation and experience. I know this is a weird way to think about it, but this is how my psyche teacher told me it works. Everything physically changes your brain, the question people mean ususally is do these drugs damage your brain. The answer is: they do not.

• feed_my_BRAIN

well said :content:

This whole forum is amazing. Not only are the people cool and un-angry, everyone enjoys a good intelectual conversation.
I mean, with most interests, like music or video games, you have people who will start flaming you for stepping out of time with societies big parade, or just plain withdrawl if you bring up a topic thats even remotely abstract, but here I feel like everyones on the same page.
All over this forum are pages and pages of surreal and unconventional conversation. I think I’ve found my place. :smile:

• feed_my_BRAIN (It’s hungry!)

Again, I can only agree :smile:

Hubbs, how about yourself?
I am very much interested in this point, since I plan to try psychedelics some day (probably mushrooms and salvia). However, I think that when I do so my “brain” (or my mind) will be changed, perhaps irreversible. I am very curious, on the other hand I am a bit concerned that i might regret it.
Another question for all who have done psychedelics:
Does anyone recommend some other drug than mushrooms for the first time?

tapir

I’ve done LSD, once. It was the first psychedelic I’ve ever used, and I had a 100% positive experience that has benifited my normal life in many ways. However it is a substance I can not recommend to anyone, because of the amount of preperation I took before using the drug. I highly recommend that once you settle down on what drug you wish to take, spend a year preparing, researching, and conversing. This ensures that you will not regret whatever you get into. With lysergic acid diethylamide, in the process of learning everything about the substance and its culture, I also learned a bunch of stuff that you are supposed to learn from ingesting the drug. This gave the drug a “life affirming” quality, rather than a “life changing” quality, because everything I experienced was telling me to keep doing what I was doing.(Appreciation, obvservation) Not to say I didn’t learn anything new, because of course I did, but it was in that year long period before attempting the drug that I pinned down exactly what I wanted to learn. Let me say that the visual affects that people see under the influence of this drug ARE ENTIRELY POSSIBLE under sober state. However, the drug makes them unavoidably clear. One reason for doing this substance is I wanted to make sure that this theory was correct. Once I was under the influence, I quickly confirmed my theory, and then began to dwell on other concepts that I found more interesting at the time. After all, if strange visualizations are possible in sober state, isn’t it a waste to devote time to them while under Lsd?
Everyone’s experience with every drug will be different, and I personally believe that everyone has drugs that best appeal to them, be it alcohol, or weed, or whatever. Find that one that fits you right. Theres enough information out there that you shouldn’t have to do that by experimentation.
One thing I learned in my research before hand: Get to know and love yourself. Because under some of these substances, you are all there is. You don’t want to have a foreign substance tell you what you dislike about your self do you? That may very well be the worst experience of your life. Conquer any hidden psychological problems you feel before taking a drug like this. Because you can’t hide from yourself in this state. So I hear anyway.
You’ll have a better experience if you know you’re not going to find anything terrifying under there.

I’ve heard some things about salvia, things that lead me to believe it is not a choice substance, but do your own research and come to your own conclusions. I recommend reading Carlos Castanada to get a feel for what substances like “Jimson Weed” might be like. I’ve heard comparisons with Salvia and Jimson Weed that turned me off to it entirely.

I could write about this subject forever. But I won’t, just to spare you guys :smile:
Let me finish here: My one experience was exteremly positive and life improving, however, I feel no hidden impulse to do it again. It was much like asking for directions and being told you are heading the right way. I just wanted to make sure… Now I know I can find my way, on my own.

• feed_my_BRAIN

I agree with what you are saying Feed my brain… hehehe

I used LSD, i didnt know what to excpect i was 15… and was using it because it was a drug… I remember the next day saying to my friend i had the most amazing experiance… I dont know why I said that because i dont really remember anything from that trip except my friends cats attacking me…

Ok i had allot of issues… I was compleatly missled by drugs and i guess i still havent had an extreamley positive experiance from hullucnigins…

I really really want to do it when i next have them… and i am pretty sure my choice will be mushrooms…

They seam to have a more spiritual and earth connecting experiance…
Rather than with LSD which is a chemical and is a more chemical and manufactured trip… If that makes any sense…

well good luck with your choices… Really look inside yourself and ask yourself what you are going to gain from this.

:peek:

another thing…

maybe salvia could be something instead of mushrooms for your first trip.

but i havent ever gotten anything from then…

If you really look inside yourself and have control of your mind and emotions befor you have mushrooms… then i think u should be fine… just dont have too many :smile:

I read alot of great points, but that doesnt justified choice. Well maybe it does, but i dont think its great thing to get into, if you cant hold the perspective.

I have no regrets in all the things i consumed, I had lots of experiences, and occurrences i wish that never would happen, but i cant blame the influences. After reading :

Everything is meant to happen, its just how you respond towards them, i actually have vivid memory. So technically i always have flash backs. When i was asking that question, i guess i meant more then the word itself. But after reading about the acid rainbow, it made me think, how i used to think i saw things when they werent really there(before Psychedelics), but after doing them i notice them alot more then usual.

Now Tapir, i never tried other ways of tripping, i know you can do Saliva, Nutmeg, Robotussin, Mushrooms (field and home grown), Lsd(blotter hits, gels, liquid, or microdots), mescaline, or peyote. The main things i’ve ingested was Lsd, i never tried the other things like nutmeg, Robo, or Saliva. After a while LSD has grown a drought, and mushrooms have been the new solution. Now everything i labeled all work on your receptors, they manipulate them. When i tired LSD i feel like every is to intense and you have minor control, if you express or think negative thoughts you can actually create your own hellish experience. That works for all of them, but LSD you have no restraint, just full power trip, until your body weakens. Mushrooms i actually think are safer (nothing is really safe) they have the same affect as lsd, but you have more control. Your not stuck into a lost trance, you have lots of ideas and fun. So based off my observation, you can create your own opinion. (i feel bad for explaining all of this :sad: )

I like how you mention this :content: Every time i do these things i always have this perspective. The thing is i always look back on my past and see how my old choices changed today’s future. Im happy where i am now, and i actually notice alot of changed towards all the idea’s and influences that i made. When i first got myself into this, i always used to be threaten or afraid of the idea :bored: But that’s gone, just another peak in my life.

Well, im glad to read your here to stay Feed-my-brain :wink: , i understand what you mean, otherwise i wouldnt ever think twice of having this discussion on the internet, im glad everyone is matured enough to respect everyone’s views.

I have to much to say, but at the same time i felt like i explained nothing :smile: , this topic is very deep.

Unfortunately at work they installed sniffer software on our computers so I won’t be able to spend hours a day posting away anymore! :sad:

Thanks for elaborating, now I have one more instance to add to dispelling the myth! :smile:

Its really quite a phenomenon. I love the conversationalists here, and when I meet new people who are into the same abstract ideas that I’m into, I know I can refer them to Lucid dreaming and this forum and they’ll have a ball. It seems like Lucid Dreaming has the potential to be a huge counter-culture. Everytime I’m in a conversation about something abstract I can relate it to lucid dreaming. Spread the word!!!

• feed_my_BRAIN