Lucid comeback after a nearly three month dry spell

Hi. XD I doubt anyone remembers me… I haven’t posted for months. School started, I have only 6 or 7 hours of sleep every night, I’ve been having fun in college and falling in love and doing all sorts of things except lucid dreaming.

At the end of summer vacation I was very actively practicing LDing, and at first it paid off - but as I practiced longer and more and tried different techniques I got worse, eventually I would just blank out as soon as I hit the pillow and hardly remember any dreams in the morning. It was almost as if my brain’s batteries were empty. :neutral:

Then school started, leaving me with 6-hour nights, alarm clock ringing at 6:30 in the morning, and more of such horror. I still wrote in my dreamdiary next to my bed, but after a while I wanted those 15 minutes of extra sleep instead of 15 minutes of writing and trying to remember my dreams… I tell you, school systematically kills LD motivation (I became very motivated for school though. :wink:)

Anyway… I haven’t had an LD since the beginning of September. I didn’t use techniques anymore, didn’t even practice RC’s or write up my dreams. Then, all of a sudden, last night - WHAM. Lucid. :eek: I looked at my hands and counted my fingers - there were 8. And then I realised I was dreaming. I lost it quite fast though, because I didn’t remember to rub my hands or anything… but for some seconds, I was medium-level lucid.

I don’t get it! I try to dream lucid and it doesn’t work, and when I’m totally lazy about it, it shows up at random. I’m already surprised I remembered how to do a reality check like counting my fingers. But anyway, Christmas vacation is coming up, so hopefully I can have another shot at LDing. I’m just trying to work out how to go about it - intensive practicing seems to make my brain tired and otherwise I just find lucidity at random without being able to induce it. Has anyone ever had this problem? :confused:

I’ve heard lots of people on this forum having similar experiences to yours. One of them will come upon this thread soon enough. :happy:

After you’ve had your first intentional lucid dream, you’re bound to have another one eventually even without any effort.

Wow, your story is remarkably similar to mine, except I had never had an LD before.

(deleted double post)

I hope so. :slight_smile: It’s sort of discouraging that practice doesn’t help me, only randomness does. :confused:

But… I never had an intentional lucid dream. I’ve had about 3 mid-level LD’s my whole life, and a dozen of low-level ones. But they all come at random. :\ Just like WILDs - I can’t induce a WILD, but sometimes, I get one naturally at random (instant sleep paralysis, HI, the works). This is telling me that, yay, I do have some talent for LDing… but too intensive practice has the opposite effect. :\

Glad I’m not the only one ^^

by “intentional”, i mean putting SOME effort in. You dont nessicarily have to try a method, but wanting it… if that makes sense. I consider every LD ive had since i found out what lucid dreaming is to be intentional, simply because of my desire to LD in general.

I wrote:
After you’ve had your first intentional lucid dream, you’re bound to have another one eventually even without any effort.

A better way to say it may be:
After you understand what lucid dreaming is and have a desire to have a lucid dream-and you have your first one, you’re bound to have another one sooner or later.

However, it still may not apply to you. :smile: