things to be afraid while lucid dreaming

i think it is possible if you truely believe that you are dying and not aware its a dream. It is possible to quite litterally be “scared to death” basically a heart attack, so if you truely believe it is real then you could die through extreme fear.

However in an LD i would say it is impossible, the meaning of Lucid Dreaming is that you KNOW you are dreaming therefore you couldn’t be sufficiantly scared to cause heart failure in real life as you already know you are dreaming, you know you can’t be harmed and therefore will not be scared.

Then their “proof” is totally flawed because i don’t breathe at all in dreams LD or ND.

Well i’ll tell you one thing, i have stopped myself waking up many times from excitement with deep slow breathing to come my self down.

And he could of stopped breathing because maybe he stopped beathing in real life ie. laying face down on a pillow or something, i have felt my body once or twice while still having my vision in a lucid dream, but only for a second or so.

And a scary thought - could you commit suicide in an LD? Consciously cause yourself to stop breathing etc.? But, if someone is having an LD, why would they want to do that? Just about all LD and related experiences I’ve heard of were all very positive. The worst that could happen to a suicidal/depressed person is to get ‘addicted’ to LD and only live to sleep and LD…

Still I doubt that (aside from a heartattack caused by intense fear) you could die in an LD because of something that happens in the dream. You’d probably wake up. Just because your mind doesn’t cooperate doesn’t mean your body instantly stops. Reminds me of OOBE, where your consciousness leaves your body but your body just continues to breathe and function normally. After all things like breathing or blinking or digesting food are all functions your body does naturally without you having to think about it excessively.

You got it. :wink: a lucid dream is your own personal universe in which you can do anything. ^^

Well it’s not the consciousness that makes you breathe its your brain, your brain controls everything your body does via the ANS.

thnx for solving this out 4 me…happy LDing lol :wink:

That’s sort of what I meant. Breathing isn’t a conscious process. ^^

Breathing isn’t a conscious process.

Thank god lol. I would have been dead a long time ago. lol.

Also you could get stuck in a dream.

Lol! Yes, I think I would be too. ‘Gee, what have I forgotten? Oh yes GASP’ Death by stupidity!

As for getting ‘Stuck’ in a dream, waht do you mean? Unable to get out? That’s what alarm clocks were invented for!

You can hold your breath in RL right. Wat is you contsciously held your breath in an LD. Could you cause yourself to faint? Would you start breathing again. Really it needs two people, one to sleep and try it, the other to make sure they don’t die.

How can you be stuck in a dream. It is hard just to stay asleep in an LD.

I made up a senerio some time ago where you were stuck in a LD. Like years and for some reason you could not get out. Ever had a nightmare where you want to get out so badly but you never can. Thats what I mean except it’s a LD.
About breathing. A couple days ago I tried to switch my breathing to consiousness. Stupid mistake. I ended up almost dieing 3 times when I didn’t have air. lol. I was breathing on porpose every 5 seconds and that just shut off my breathing in unconiosness. Never will I try that again. Boy was I scared.

is it true that if you get to excited in a ld that you can have a heart attack in real life?

scary thoughts, but simething that scares me are false awakening. How common are they and what do u do about them?

FA’s scare you? What? Their like anyother dream and they are quite common. Everytime you wake up do a RC. That way if you get a FA you’ll do a RC and either go Lucid or wake up.
DaturaSpectrum: Yes it’s true probably never happens and is almost impossible for it to happen but ya it happens and it can.

Don’t worry about it, DaturaSpectrum - that’s just because your heart rate in a dream seems to match the real one. They aren’t seperate. Unless you have a good chance of getting a heart attack in real life, you needn’t worry about one in your dreams.

the main thing i fear in Lucid Dreams is WAKING UP!

People take movies too seriously. Dreaming takes place in your mind. OOBE’s are most likely just dreams/hallucinations. Some people stop breathing in their sleep. It’s called sleep apnea, but it’s rare and probably not your problem. And as for meeting the dead… No. The dead are dead. Dreaming is a mental phenomenon, not a gateway to another world. Again, I refer to the example of pilots in training haveing "OOBE"s while in a centrifuge. During times of stress you hallucinate. Your mind presents you with pretty pictures of floating, or flying, or detachment from your body to ease the stress caused the by knowledge (or imagined knowledge) of your impending doom.

I dream about being under water all the time. I hold my breath as long as I can because I believe I will drown. AFter a while I can’t do it anymore and I start breathing, and then I just believe that I can breathe underwater. But the point is it’s nigh impossible to consciously hold your breath until you asphixiate. Eventually, your oxygen-starved brain would deny you consciousness, and you would begin breathing again. B’dur. And as for having a heart attack from a dream: very unlikely. Seriously, you’d have to be in really poor health for something that your mind produces naturally to kill you. I doubt the very worst nightmares put you in any kind of danger. Think about it. Have you ever awakened from a nightmare and felt thoroughly exhausted? Your body really doesn’t work that hard when you’re having a nightmare.

So don’t be scared at all! You won’t die. You won’t meet the dead. You may get scared from time to time, but it’s far more likely that you’ll just have A LOT of fun. Onward, aspiring oneironaut!

I have had dreams in which my dream self dies and I am suddenly at my dream selfs funeral as some other character. I have had dreams in which I have felt pain as well. However, these things make the dream more vivid and have ended up being what I rank as some of my most worthwhile dream.
Really, there is nothing to worry about in dreams. Remember that what is in the dream world is in the dream world. Personaly I have not experienced anything to sugest the opposit (please send a message to me if you have experienced the contrary). The dreams which you experience extream bliss or pain are commonly the most vivid. In the long run, you may determin that your most vivid experiences have been the ones most worth while. This can be true in the Dream World or in RL.

I too fear waking up and missing out on the lucid goodness :cry:

Yes, I must say that my greatest fear in lucid dreams is waking up :smile:

Actually, in a lucid dream a while ago I was afraid to yell anything thinking that I would yell in real life :smile: You should have heard me…

This is a dream… I am lucid in a wisper! I laughed at my stupidity later on.

Really, I don’t believe for a second that lucid dreams can pull us over to evil. If that was true, then this forum would be a pretty crazy place. More crazy than it is now!