Myers-Briggs -- what's your type?

I’m curious if there is any link between a facility for having lucid dreams and Myers-Briggs types. If you have no idea what Myers-Brigss is, check out this link:

https://209.15.29.56/myersbriggs/personhome.htm

I’m an INFP or ENFP, depending on what day I test myself. At least among my friends, I’ve noticed that the ones most likely to say they’ve lucid dreamed are “NFs”. Not to say that other types cannot LD, but there seems to be a connection. Maybe it’s because NFs are supposed to be metaphoric and symbolic in their communication style, and what else are dreams but metaphors and symbols?

I’m INTP, apparently.

I’m not surprised … I figured NTs would be inclined toward LDs as well!

If NT and NF are inclined to lucid dreams, what isn’t? Or are you just trying to reassure me so that I won’t start failing? :confused:

i’m INTP too

I’m INTP also.

Same as: “Albert Einstein” and “Charles Darwin” :cool_laugh: how surprising!

EDIT: Strength of the preferences %
67 22 1 22

I’m not sure what the preferences is, but I added those too.

btw, is there a reason this should be in “Quest for Lucidity” and not somewhere like the “Lounge?”

not to be a spoilsport, but I really doubt that your personality has anything to do with your ability to LD. It’s just about finding the appropriate method for you… Pedro came up with his own, I came up with my own (had never had a lucid dream until I found this, now I can have them at will), it’s really just finding what works, not how you interact with people.

I myself came out as an ENTP. And actually, going off your logic of following this site’s categorizations, I find that NT would have more like likelihood of having a lucid dream. While NF is more of an idealist, one who tends to follow the rules and looking out for the well-being of all human beings involved in the subject at hand, they really have no room for creativity. It’s about bending what they want to do to fit the rules.

NT on the other hand are the creative ones…those who are willing to travel that extra step in order to try and get things to work. Not being bound by the rules and such. You had your logic backwards there.

And for those who have been keeping track, my next post should be full of improperly capitalized letters, misspellings, improper grammar and lots of “internet chat.” It’s those damn multiple personalities…still don’t believe that one guy pointed it out. Every other post…different way of typing, funny.

NFs have no room for creativity? Hello … did you read the NF description? NFs are frequently drawn to creative pursuits … and I’m one of them. I quote directly from the site:

[color=indigo]"Although the Idealists make up only about 12 percent of the general population, their influence on the minds of the populace is massive, for most writers come from this group. Novelists, dramatists, television writers, playwrights, journalists, poets, and biographers are almost exclusively NFs. Technical and scientific writers tend to be NTs, but writers who wish to inspire and persuade, who produce literature, most often are NFs. The questions which this group asks about the meaning of life, of their own lives, and what is significant for humankind, saturate fictional literature. "[/color]

at the request of a fellow LDer, and having already done it in one pm i got already, i guess ill explain my method here.

so here’s what i do:

basically, i can cause myself to have daydreams when im really tired. i just sit back and relax and let myself drift off, while still staying awake, i guess it’s kinda like WBTB, i duno. anyway, so i just kinda drift off, and i think i actually do get to sleep, but because i have no sleep paralysis, i always manage to wake myself up. I end up running or something or jumping or doing a sudden activity, and in real life it causes my body to repeat the action, and i wake up in my chair at work.

so anyway, i do this at night too. after messing around for a few days, i figured out what my REM shedule was and timed when i go to bed (if i want to LD i follow a schedule that gets me to sleep at that time) and i have two alarms, one to wake me for getting ready to “night-dream” as i call it, and the other to actually wake me up when i have to. any time i wake up inbetween then i just close my eyes and fall directly back to sleep. after i get woken up the first time, i get up, have a cigarette, and have something to drink, enough to wake me up so i can have “night-dreams” but not enough to wake me as i can’t get back to sleep.

in order to induce my actual lucid dreams, i kind of have like an incubated dream like pedro does. i can always pick what scenario i want to have when i go into my daydreams, so i figured i could do it at night as well. so I pick my scenario, a big room with some furniture, a nice comfy bed, nice fireplace, and a door at the other end.i normally envision myself lying on the bed and just looking at the ceiling. i’ll get up and imagine myself walking around and suddenly it’s like the two worlds blur. instead of me imagining im walking around, i really am walking around. upon looking around in my room, i see the big rc sign above the far door. says “You are Dreaming” not questioning. Asking. I find that I am more likely to do a RC if I am told that I am dreaming as opposed to being asked if I might be dreaming.

It’s kind of like a mix of everything I guess, I just kinda… wake up just enough, for about 10 minutes, but I’m still reeeeaaallly tired, so I have my “night-dream” type thing and I just imagine that scenario. Soon everything just kind of meshes together and instead of imagining it, i’m in it. I dunno, sorry for the obscure description, I tried. Like Pedro said, his method was for him, this is for me. Go ahead and try it, but I didn’t explain it to well, I just said what I could.

INFP
Some questions I didn´t really understand, and I´ll try to see if it changes. Anyway, most of the things in the description fit quite well

well I read the NT one and I got bored…I didn’t feel like reading the same mindless garble over and over again 16 times. But I just looked at the top of the little box thing, where it said what kind each was. And it said NF’s were “Idealists” which really is what I said. And NT’s as “expressive” or something I dunno, I can’t remember and I don’t feel like going back to the site. Sorry for misinterpreting, but I ain’t reading all that stuff especially when it’s pure theory and has absolutely no substance to it at all.

HatedOne8, that isn’t true. The questions were designed to point out which type you are, and NF is defined as being creatvie, idealistic etc. That’s what NF means.

you misunderstand what idealism is. it’s not bending society’s/the majority’s major want and needs in order for the greater good of the people. Idealism really tightens and form of creative freedom you may have in a project. It’s like a teacher saying “you can do whatever you want for this subject…but here’s a bunch of boundaries that you have to abide by.” If the teacher had let you do whatever you want, then creative juices would fly and they’d get a whole plethora of papers or projects back or whatever with a million different influences.

However, since she’s looking out for the greater good of the student, and making sure they actually get something out of the project, she imposes these restrictions and boundaries under which they have to work. That’s idealism. So idealistic really restricts your creativity.

I already said I apologized for my misinterpretation of what each one was, but idealistic is the wrong word for describing NF’s.

I’m just making a general observation that NTs and NFs seem to be the ones most likely to say they LD. Not saying that other types can’t, and I’m not saying this is a scientific observation.

The common thread is that “N’s” are abstract thinkers more than concrete thinkers, and I would assume that an abstract thinker would be more likely to be interested in LDs in the first place.

Actually … the reverse is true. Achieving an idealistic goal (that is, achieving something in its ideal/best/top state) requires a great deal of creativity.

Example: Muslim art is restricted by Islamic law, which prohibits the depiction of a living creature. So, the artists who designed the mosques and the buildings had to be creative in how they used geometric shapes and lines for their designs. (Think: Mosaic tile.) I think they achieved their ideal of art that did not violate their religious faith while making something very creative in the process.

I think what you’re calling idealism in the teacher example is actually better defined as practicality – the teacher in question has to set boundaries about length of the project, the time it’s turned in, formatting, etc., to assist her job in being a teacher. To do otherwise would be impractical.

i·de·al·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-d-lzm)
n.
The act or practice of envisioning things in an ideal form.
Pursuit of one’s ideals.
Idealized treatment of a subject in literature or art.
Philosophy. The theory that the object of external perception, in itself or as perceived, consists of ideas.

idealism

\Ide"alism, n. The practice or habit of giving or attributing ideal form or character to things; treatment of things in art or literature according to ideal standards or patterns; – opposed to realism.

the other two below these definitions are more of a philosophical view than a practical one, which is not what we’re discussing… please understand what i’m trying to say before you refute it

Ditto. I was responding to the idea that restrictions or boundaries inhibit creativity, as you implied in your illustration.

Let’s just agree to disagree, shall we?

I’m an INFP. Both very idealistic and creative. :smile:

I always thought that idealism was about my ideal view of the world, my ideal view of humans. About how I kept hoping, dreaming and pursuing the goal of making the world around me a bit better, and to bring a smile upon someone’s face if I could. I thought idealism was about having that image of a Utopia in your head, a world society where you would want your great-great-grandchildren to grow up in. I thought idealism was believing in the good of humans despite all of their flaws, to believe in the kindness and love of people. I’ve lost many arguments because I was, quote those that beat me, ‘idealistic’.

I guess a textbook definition changes everything! :wink:

What I mean to say is… definitions can help you. But they don’t dictate your reality… at least not mine. Everything that was invented by humans can be reinvented and altered. Idealism means this and that to me, and it might mean this and that to you. However, I don’t think it’s an absolute term written in the rules of the universe. Then again… maybe that’s a typical INFP point of view, isn’t it?

I tried to take the test but found the first question stumped me. Am I at ease in a crowd… what kind of crowd? A nazi convention? A nudist convention? A music festival? A busy city centre?
When will psychologists realise life can’t be reduced to tick-boxes and people can’t be easily categorised?

Anyway I think lucid dreaming is a skill everyone posseses, as long as they stick to techniques and have the motivation. :smile:

Im ENTJ, dont know how i got that. I mean i thing i answered the questions on how i trully felt, but i was pretty stoned. So the questions seemed a little complicated. I consider myself more introverted, but according to this test im not.