what the heck was that?

I was lying down in my car as my mom and I were driving home. (back seat) So I got to a point where I felt like a was skateboarding, I could feel the pavement even though my feet weren’t touching anything, I was lying sideways but I felt like I was moving in the direction I was facing. Then i felt like I fell backwards off my skateboard as the skateboard kept going forward. I snapped out of it. What was that?

I don’t know exactly why our brains do this but a lot of people have some form of this same experience every once and a while. I haven’t felt it in a loooooong time but I recall one time I was falling asleep and imagined/dreamed that I was skating and I crested this gentle hilltop and then started rolling down the other side and kept going faster and faster then I startled myself awake.

It hasnt happened for a while, but I do remember a particular time when I was in the car in the parking lot of Pathmark, I closed my eyes and suddenly I was in school, I was walking down the hallway, and I could feel the weight of my back pack on my shoulders, that time I remember specifically cuz my eyes were closed for a couple seconds and I was breathing very heavily and felt I was out of air. I am guessing it was just a fear of having school soon but man, It really felt like I was there

This happens to me a lot when I am not doing MILD and still falling asleep normally. I have the “skating” vision also (I wonder how many skaters are here anyway…? :content: ) I tend to fall and jerk myself awake. I said in another post that I think it is just a dream where our body isn’t completely paralyzed yet. I think the part where we “fall” or do something else in the dream to jerk ourselves awake is just a way for our brain to make up an explanation to snap us awake, so that we can fall back asleep in the normal sequence.

What were to happen if you didn’t “jerk” out of it? What would happen if the feeling kept going? :eh:

I assume we would either go into light sleep and then become paralyzed or more likely we would start sleep walking (a type of REM sleep with dreams, I am pretty sure).