Too scared to try

Thanks for the help everyone. I’m still deciding whether I should do it or not but I guess I’ll have to decide sooner or later.

I would say go for it… I also was afraid of them in beginning, but after having experienced this for a few times, the fear most vanished. SP is now more a positive thing for me, and i often manage to have lucid dreams from it.
:smile:

hey i never vanished …i’m just hidding…:razz:

this is a snippet of my response to a thread that i just finished responding to, here’s hping it’ll be useful here :smile:

what’s up w/ all these fear threads btw :eh:

themooseman, nothing to be scared of.
Learning about dreams and having LD’s is a fascinating thing, I have no draw backs, I want to learn more, its interesting and really exciting, a lot of fun.

Having LD’s is something most people don’t do, because it is a level in your mind that is difficult to get to, a difficult level of awareness, similar to pure meditation, which I can’t see how it can harm you mentally at all. In fact it can onl strengthen your mind IMHO,

all the best in your decisions,
-stranger

SP is nothing to be afraid of. The only reason it’s scary is if you don’t know what it is. But it’s perfectly normal, doesn’t hurt you, and will end eventually (which is actually a shame).

In fact, I would say SP is a good thing, because it’s the gateway to LDs. If it happens, be happy, and try to LD!

And apparently it’s good for more than just LDing. I’ve read in various places that it can be used for inducing OBEs, Astral Projections, Dream Walking (Shared Dreaming), and other similar things. You might want to look into one of those.

As for Night Terrors, just try and take control of the dream. You never know, the scariest dream might trigger your Lucidity! Then you can whoop ass on whatever it is with your favorite SciFi or Fantasy weapon, or just beat it up with Kung Fu.

Thanks for the help. I’ve decided to try it but I can only remember 1 dream per night. If I ever have the night terror things I’m just hoping that I can realise that it’s a dream and kick it’s ass.

1 dream per night is not bad,

in my own experience, I find that when I have a good sleep, of at least 8 hours, I can remember more dreams than if I have less sleep, or if im not feeling well, or have a veyr blocked nose, or something, it does distract from my dream recall,

so try and have a nice long sleep and you can remember more dreams, especially if you do somehting like WBTB.

Thats a good attitude to have though, kick those night terror’s asses! :smile:

-stranger

Today is the first day I learned about this site and LD. At first I was really really thrilled, but then I saw the nightmares category. Now I really want to do this but I am scared ****less of having to confront like… A girl coming out of my TV and the sort. If anybody could post up some suggestions on how to deal with nightmares, or just advice… Ill be very grateful. Thanks.

aha! Another victem of “The Ring” shudder

One thing you must know is that it is perfectly normal to have nightmares, no matter how unplesent they are. If you have a nightmare and you’re trying to induce LD’s it’s easy to blame it on tampering with speep but it’s not always the case.
You may find that LDing will help you STOP nightmares, realise they’re nightmares and wake up or take control of your nightmares. If you are using WILD it is more likely that you will have Sleep Paralysis (sp?) and that can be a very scary experiance until you relax and realise that it’s not real.
In conclusion, LDing is worth having a couple nightmares for! :smile: Go for it!

Don’t fear. If a girl will come out of your TV in LD you can:

i) make with her something good
ii) run away
iii) kill her
iv) summon her boyfriend and leave them alone
v) try to wake up

vi) burn the damn paedophile at the stake.

I don’t think you really have anything to fear. Actually, since I’ve started trying to LD, I’ve had alot less nightmares. Dude :cool:.

Or you could ask her why shes coming after you. You would be suprised what you hear sometimes. Its good insight on yourself.

Well, if a girl comes out of a tv…
A- if shes scary, kill her with a vast array of arsenal
B- If shes hot… :nodnodwinkwink:

Or just ask her what she wants…

:grin:

Seriously, imho lucid nightmares aren´t that bad. The thought of having a nightmare is frightening, but when you actually experience it and are really lucid you know that nothing can harm you.
I´ve got that theory that lucid dreamers tend to have very few nightmares (even normal ones) anyways. Have a look at the “stuff dreams are made of” section and search for a post called “lack of nightmares” or something.
Many users (including me) would even WANT to have nightmares.

Advice what to do with nightmares:
The best thing is to stay cool and try to learn from it, like asking what it represents and stuff.
However, if you don´t feel able to react this way there is a little trick (which I haven´t used with nightmares so far, but with other irrational fears, and I am sure it also works great for nightmares).

Perhaps you know the term “flight or fight”?
It means that threatening situations usually trigger one of these two behaviours.
Imagine a cat suddenly confronted with a dog. The cat will be flooded with adrenaline which allows to instantly use it´s energy.
Now the cats decides wether it will try to run away or jump at the dog and scratch it´s face. These two decisions are very close to each other, but they result either in fear or in anger.
Same applys for humans, but you can control it. If you feel frightened, you are in “flight-mode”. Try to get angry at whatever frightens you, and you´ll quickly change over to “fight-mode”, which will wipe away your fear.

But remember, this might be effective, but on the longt term it´s more usefull to deal with fears in other ways

tapir

Nightmares in lucid dreams aren’t as bad as normal. This is because you know how stupid it is. Don’t forget you can control everything. If you lose control, it is easy to make your self wake up.

I must admint, when I first read that section, it made me scarred. So I just sort of tried not to think of it.

Well, I guess thats all I need really, sums it up for what I need to know. Thanks for being so kind everybody :cool_laugh: Thanks again!! I’ll be starting my dream journal tonight. Woohoo, this is going to be fun… I actually found out that one of my teachers was interested in LD, and actually had a couple of LD, which I found was pretty cool… Only person I know had actually attempted it. Well, thanks again, I hope I’ll be getting good in this thing soon… See you all next time!

It’s amazing how many people know about lucid dreaming. I looked and at a party I recently went to at least 4 out of 20 people knew about lucid dreaming. Way more than I’d expect!

I’ve never been scared of LD’s (although I’ve never had a good one)
But I’m scared of OOBE’s… I don’t know why…

Once I started what, for me, sounded like the beginning of an OOBE…
I felt like I was falling through the bed, and I heard a whistling sound which grew stronger and stronger, but I told myself to wake up, cause I was afraid :eek:

oh yes, you might like to have a look at thise for some more suggestions what to do with nightmares

https://community.ld4all.com/t/very-unusual-request-from-the-newbie/8713