to those who built their own self-contained goggles

could you go through the process in greater detail ? i understand the concept, you need some sort of small programmable timer, leds and a power source (not to mention the goggles)…

the problem is (much like most people) i don’t know much about electronics… i’ve done my share of soddering, and i took apart a small tv and mounted it back in a plexyglass box… but that was easy cause i knew where everything went, where to connect the wires and all that…

so if you guys could post a small diagram (i can’t read schemas for shit) with some basic instructions, it would be great.

I checked out Djem’s TEF device ( home.no/lucid/lucid/TEF.htm ) and that’s really simple, but the problem is the leds would just keep flashing until you’d turn the alarm off… which would wake you up.

the other one, the dream weaver (home.no/lucid/link.htm) seems pretty cool… the instructions to build it are pretty straight forward though, and that’s good… , but you need to connect it to a computer and have a com wire hanging from your face

this is why i think a simple 90-minute interval flashing pair of goggles would be 1) really easy to build , 2) cheap and 3) useful, maybe…

can anyone help ? i’ve read a few threads, but they leave me wondering… if you buy a programmable chip, how do you program it ?..

so yeah, a simple step by step instructions would be certainly appreciated (and not only by me i suppose).

The device that programs EEPROM is expensive. It would probably be cheaper to buy a Nova Dreamer.

On the other hand - you don’t need to do any programming to build such a simple device.

But I doubt i could sleep with a pair of goggles. So i don’t think I can be bothered to make a design. And if i did i’d want to make a Nova Dreamer clone instead.

you don’t need to program fancy eeproms if you use a PIC microchip… the programing tool for one of those can go as low as 8 to 12$… and the chip itself is … 2-4$…

all it needs to do is time 90 minute intervals and send a small series of impulses that activates the LEDS…

of course if you want the REM detection, it gets more complicated, but i just wanna try and see if simple goggles would work.

Yeah but i don’t know if it’s even reasonable to use programmable logics at all for such a simple thing.

Couldn’t you just use digital counters that set off the LEDs and flash them after 90 minutes and then resets?

well, yeah, that’s what you need… but the only way i know how to do that at the moment is with the chip (which has the advantage that you can program for how long the leds to flicker, different intervals and other kinda funky things, like RC features or whatever)…

if there is such a thing as a simple digital counter that you can fit on a mask, that’s absolutely perfect hehehe the simpler and cheaper the better…

hey, if you happen to know stuff about electronics or you have ideas let us know :smile:

i posted this thread hoping to get some step-by-step instructions and diagrams so that people with little knowledge (like me hehe) can actually build these masks.

i read the other threads on the forum, and some people seem to really know what they’re doing… but the posts just describe the way their masks work… so i was hoping they could help us out with actually building them.

Yes but on the other hand after i thought a bout it for a while i think it would be a pretty ugly solution (but cheap).

You’d need maybe 3 counters and thena few more ICs to get the flashing to start and stop. On the other hand if you are prepared to spend some money to buy the pic programmer im sure you will get a smaller and smarter solution.

I can’t really help you with programmable chips thought. Never had the opportunity to play around with them. Perhaps you have a good local electronics store that could help you get started with the right stuff?

i’ll be asking around when i get the time.
if anything happens, i’ll be sure to report back.

i actually asked my dad what he thought about these goggles and he showed me this 27C256 chip that he can program at work… however, he said the timer idea was a lot easier to do so he’ll give it some thought and help me out. he actually talked about it for a while, and he told me how you can get a timer working, and he explained the whole binary loop that happens, but some of that just went right over me head :tongue: oh well heehehe i wish i would know more about electronics (that’s what you get when you’re an art student though)

Yes a timer like the 5555 (or something) would be good. That’s probably the best way.

some basing introductory information for those who are as new as i am to the topic:

hagar.up.ac.za/catts/learner/199 … timer2.htm

i have to say that after reading through this things make a little more sense.

Hello,

I built my own set of LD goggles and actually purchased the parts to build 5 more sets to sell on EBAY for $30 each. I received a ton of emails from people inquiring about the devices but I just haven’t had the time to either respond to them or build the goggles. I am also planning on creating a website with detailed instructions/schematics on how to build these goggles for the do-it-yourselfer. Hopefully I will have some time soon to finish these projects.

In the meantime all I can say is that a microcontroller is definitely the easiest/cheapest way to go. With a microcontroller you can add other features like a reality check switch, configurable timer, etc. I used a PIC microcontroller with my LD goggles and got my programmer from www.sparkfun.com for $13. Then all you need to buy is a set of goggles, some LED’s, battery holder, switches, etc. The whole deal only costs around $10 (excluding programmer). I’m sorry I don’t have the time to give you any more details if you have any specific questions I’ll try to help.

I will be sure to notify the board once I have my website up and/or goggles for sale.

:smile: i e-mailed you too some days ago too…

if you could help us out it would be great… that webpage plan seems great, and hey, if it helps, i have some webspace to spare. could you give us some quick tips to get started ? maybe tell us what parts you used so we can get them ?

any help would be greatly appreciated (at least i know i would).

I would love to host it as an appendix to the wikibook (second link in my signature).

even better :smile:

your site is pretty sweet.

bows Any suggestions, do it yourself, PM me or write it here (Lucid dreaming -> Discuss this page -> Post a comment)

i’ve decided to go with the Kvasar mask instead. Why ? well, first, i already have the plans… and it’s not that hard to build. Then, it has a lot of really nice features (if you read the manual you’ll see what i mean)… and it’s completely programmable from the buttons (well, you can adjust the settings)…

So, I found a PIC16F84 and the sockets i need and i bought some other stuff, like a battery holder, a small switch, an IR led… and i’m gonna get the resistors, capacitor and the small buttons i still need today (my dad’s a great guy when it comes to getting things for free)…

the only thing i’m having troubles finding (then again, i started buying these yesterday) is the photodetector… which kinda sucks, but i guess if i look hard enough i’ll find a way to do it.

i wanted to buy the PIC programmer too, but the only one i found sold for 300$, and i don’t want to buy it online, so i’ve decided to build that too.

hope this works. and if it doesn’t, at least i’m having fun hehe