Rights of dream characters?

Hey dreamers,

What do you think? do DCs have (human) rights, or can we just rape, kill and torture these DCs?
Do they have free will, feelings?

any thoghts?

Greets,
Thor

Well, IF you actully have a dream and can do anything you want and then think: “It would be fun to torture somebody.”, you are sick.

This is up to your own mind but I would never do one of these things in my dreams. Since they are humans in the dream they have human rights. But then that they are DC’s and a experienced dreamer could easily alter there mind after their own taste so a rape would be just normal sex and that is okey.

ehhh… i think you can do whatever you want to do in your dreams. if raping and murdering is your thing, i say get your fill in an LD and continue to being an upstanding member of society in WL

i don’t think you should shy away from your darker urges or impulses. just because they’re generally frowned on by society doesn’t mean you should bottle them up. give them an outlet. instead of going on murderous rampages, some people hit a punching bag. pillaging the dream world is the same in my book.

i had an LD this morning where i tried to use force lightning (you know how the emperor in star wars shot lightning from his fingers and electrocuted luke skywalker) on some DCs, but it didn’t work :sad: next time :devil:

If you close your eyes and imagine a person standing before you, do you think they’ll care if you also imagine hurting or killing them? Since I believe DCs are a construct soley of your imagination, I don’t have a problem with mistreating them.

There are several reasons why I believe this. Firstly, the nature of non-lucid dreams strongly implies that the experience is contained within your own mind. This is evident when you consider that the topic of a dream (and characters within) often coincides with a recent activitiy you spent a significant amount of time doing. Also, while much more vivid, dreams do tend to exhibit the same qualities as waking imagination (instability, etc).

I like to think of dreams as a personal and private experience, during which I should be permitted to do whatever I choose.

Well, lucid dreaming could help…murderers? Rapists? They can kill and rape all they want in the dream world and not harm a fly in RL. Or, if somebody is like “I want to kill somebody.” They could kill someone in the dreamworld and still not get in trouble.

You know, I’m thinking those individuals who have the urge to kill or rape someone would NOT get their ya-yas from doing so to a DC. There are so many psychological reasons why people do the things they do. I don’t believe those people who have such strong feelings would be satisfied by acting out their fantasies in dreams. (It’d be nice if it worked though–“leave the negativity inside your own brain.”)

Hmm yeah this is an interesting concern. I’ve had opinions both ways over the years. There are a lot of different angles you could take to look at the act of killing or raping someone in a dream.

If someone were to strictly consider the moral/ethical aspects of the act, even though no one seems to be the victim, you are still doing something considered immoral. I think this is a very limited view, in that it doesn’t allow any other ideas for consideration, other than “if its wrong in real life, it has to be wrong anywhere else”. I think many people new to the concept of lucid dreaming get hung up here, as it’s often tough to accept that you can experience something consciously that is not reality.

I beleive that most dreams are in fact in our own minds, isolated from the exterior and isolated from other living entities. So then raping or killing someone would be harmless, right? It may be harmless to your victim in the dream, but I don’t think it’s completely harmless to your mind. I recently had a lucid dream in which I was doing these terribly shameful things out on this street. Out of nowhere my brother pops up, and I felt a wave of humiliation come over me. I immediately stopped, and when I woke up I still felt ashamed. Now and then he will show up in my dreams and follow me around, and I can never do some things that I like to do in LDs when he’s there. I think our morals can be so developed that it can inflict pain on our conscience, a possibly permanant “scar” in our mind. Maybe it’s just my case.

I mentioned that I think most dreams exist in our brain, self-contained in our imagination. I won’t get any further into my opinion that at times the dream world can be “real”, but I think a lot of us maintain this possibility in the back of our minds. This is another thing that keeps me (and maybe many of you) from raping and killing in LDs.

Lastly I’d like to touch on the acclimatization effect. I beleive that when someone sees enough of something, they acclimate themselves to it. They become accustomed to it. Take nurses and doctors for example. They see some of the most brutal scenes in emergency rooms day-in and day-out. Some cut open flesh and tissue regularly. While it can still bother them emotionally, over time they learn to accept and toughen up to such actions and images. I’m not saying doctors would be most likely to stab someone, but I know it would bother them a lot less to perform an emergency surgery of some sort in a grocery store. Maybe the same could happen in dreams? We all know how close to waking life a dream can be, and although it may seem unlikely to think that a murderer in a dream would be less sensitive to murdering someone in real life, its something to think about. Acclimatization is a real thing.

When my brother isn’t around watching me in my dreams, I do like the feel of my fist puncturing a body of someone who really annoys me. I admit that. But thinking about all this makes me much more hesitant to do such acts. Some things I quit doing altogether. Well theres my two cents, sorry for the long post. -Fen

While my lucid dreams are so rare, I’ll keep no morals because it’s MY world and MY rules dammit! But if I get to the point where I visit my mind every night I want to play nice most of the time… unless I get really mad (or really lusty) towards someone in RL. Then I’ll need the outlet. The DCs’ll understand. Of course they don’t have feelings, but I just feel better if I don’t kick them around.

I guess I forgot to mention most of the positive things about doing that kind of stuff. At many points in my life, like when I’m going through some crap at the time, I really can’t vent enough. These times it’s more healthy for me to get out the frustration(in whatever way I need to).

Exactly. After all, lucid dreaming is a means of escape and refuge from our experiences in “reality”. This is priceless to me. :bored:

I’m not sure about their if they could have rights, but it’s an interesting question. When I was a little kid I used to dream that a monster was chasing me through the woods, and every time he‘d catch up with me and slash my face. On my second or third LD I met up with him and I must say I beat the crap out of that hairy monster, and it felt good.

I do though see some problems with just randomly hurting DC’s, mostly because I think it might be psychologically damaging. Probably no more than a violent video game or action movie. It just desensitizes you to stuff in the real world.

No i dont think they have rights because they are not beings but just assocations of the mind and not real. Just a product of our mind nothing more nothing less.

Jeff

It is an interesting question, but I think the right answer depends on who is answering the question. If you are exploring lucid dreaming for self improvement or other spiritual reasons then to mistreat your DC may be counter productive to your goal. On the other hand if you are exploring lucid dreaming to have your own private playground then it most likely does not matter.

No matter what your reasons for exploring lucid dreaming your DC are just creations in your mind. I have blasted my share of dream monsters into oblivion rather than confronting them to discover their hidden meaning.

infection0

:grin:

Hey Dreamers,

Let’s say that because the DCs are a product of YOUR OWN mind they don’t have rights.

But what if you run into your Spiritguide without knowing it, and killing him/her/it would that be different?

Greets,
Thor

I think you can do anything to a DC that you see fit to do to yourself. DCs are all products of your subcouncious, or maybe even councious mind. Personally, while in my LDs I tend to stay away from the sex and just plain fun activities, and look for something a little more. I don’t frown upon those things though(I said tend to stay away), but I do recognize that those activities lack something. Addtionally, even if you don’t believe in Jesus, he did say that if you even think of another woman in a sexual way(while married) you have committed adultry. In general this is in relationm to your salvation, and the explaination of vice as something less of a physical chain and something inside. By excercising these things on your subcouncious, they will continue to reside in your self councious. If you are an avid lucid dreamer, eventually, I feel that your subcouncious would become a destitute waste land.

Good topic!

well, in an ND, two people disagreed with me. Big mistake, cos I cut off both their heads (well, one of them was still haning on a bit…). And it was an oddly satisfying feeling and someting which I will repeat in an LD.

Heh, why, I think I’ll get hundreds of DCs to attack me, and kill em all Matrix style :cool:.

In RL, I would never consider killing anyone though. And as long as you keep that in mind, I see no problem in doing whatever you want

I personally think anything you do in your LD is fine, and if it something bad such as violence or rape and you have even considered it in RL then it is a problem. I have never murdered anyone in an LD, but forced, not violent, sexual encounters are something I have done, usually my Dcs cooperate and it is just consensual. I find I enojoy my LDs MUCH more when I do non sexual things because they are more vivid and they have much more possibilities

i would expect the following as minimum requirements for getting the job of spirit guide

1. defend him/herself against one who is not as experienced at operating in the dream world as he/she is
  2. have enough common sense to stay outta the way of an LDer on a muderous rampage if in fact he/she couldn’t defend against it
  3. be able to convince a pillaging LDer of her/his autonomy

i do martial arts, so if i could make an example that my sensei used once and use it as an analogy. if you are an experienced martial artist (a spirit guide) and a five year old (LDer on a murderous rampage) threatens you with a knife, if you cannot easily and quickly remove that knife from the 5 year old’s hands, you are not a martial artist… now a 15 year old, that’s a different story :yinyang:

the reason i would equate a murderous LDer to a 5 year old with a knife is this… how advanced could you possibly be if you haven’t found anything more useful to do with your LDs than go around pillaging the dream world ???

Dutch thor u cant kill anything while u are dreaming.
Because your mind is just a projection screen for your own consciousness.

Jeff

Hmm I would be extremely reluctant to say that all dreams are mere projections… but that’s getting into a different subject and I don’t feel like playing the “minority game” on this opinion. I’ll just leave it at that. Anyone who has read Robert Moss’s work could help me on this.

have a look at the ‘testing the realness of DCs’ topic in reaserch.
there are alot of people who belive that some of the DCs are real beings that inhabit the dream world. so by harming them you would be harming real beings.
its a pretty strange question with heaps of different ways of looking at it.
at the moment im open minded on the whole dream world/real wprld thing and waiting to find out for myself :smile: