Movie like dreams that are so long that you wake up before..

… they end.

I often times have really great indepth movie like dreams with very long continuous plots, and towards the end of them, I’ve been dreaming for such an extremely long time that I guess my sleep cycle ends and I wake up.

Sometimes I can go back into them, sometimes I can’t.

So… do you all have this problem, and do you know of a way to remedy it?

See I wake up when I come out of REM (i assume so anyway) because after my dreams end, I just… wake up… there’s no unconsciousness and drifting back into dreams… I’m back awake in my bed… now… when this happens I can usually just will myself into another dream pretty easily… but

I don’t think that’s normal, I think you are supposed to go back to various stages of sleep each time exiting REM… stage 1-4 I think… I don’t know.

But it really frustrates me when I have these great dreams.

Recently i dreamed I was on a german blimp ala hindenburg and was a Nazi for some reason, but I didn’t really know why I was a nazi, or who I was, or what I was doing on the blimp.

So… I was locked in a bunker and knew something was wrong, that they wanted to kill me… I took an axe from a fire extinguisher panel and somehow hacked through a “metal” window… then when a guard came I think I killed him and snuck down deeper into the blimp.

There would be this old guy with an ak-47, and he would spontaneously pop up from NOWHERE and kill someone… and I made my way down into the main control room and got caught… by Hitler… he was in the process of getting ready to kill some people that he wasn’t satisfied with… and I asked him for his mercy… he said he liked me and that he would let me live… then he turned around and shot a guy who was sitting at a control panel… another guard came up to me and from no where that old guy jumped up on top of a control panel which i was ducking by, and shot off my arms and legs (it hurt, too) but yet my arms and legs were still there.

I was yelling KILL HIM, KILL HIM… and they eventually did.

So then… the blimp caught fire… and I was by this german looking glass window and I jumped through it and landed in the water, before the blimp blew up… and then I still realized my leg and arm were missing, but they were sitll there anyway… i sawm to shore knowing i was not capable of swimming in that condition… and yelled for help from these tribal people.

Then the dream split, and I was Hitler… and I was him escpaing the blimp… and I was on a boat with a guard… and we were building a fire on the boat for some reason…

We sailed by a volcano and one of them wanted to touch the lava or something, because they didn’t know lava was hot… and then I woke up.

This took at least a full hour if not longer… and was very cohesive… I was so upset that I woke up, i wanted nothing more than to finish the dream, but I couldn’t get back to it.

These kind of movie like dreams happen around once a week or so, and I love them… lately I’ve developed a partial lucidity in them, like part of me knows it’s a dream, and he’s in charge of trying to keep things real and on track, and sometimes very briefly I’ll go “wait, no this doesn’t look right, it needs to be different” and make small alterations, but for the most part I’m oblivious to the fact that I’m dreaming… though I don’t necessarily treat it as if it were 100% real, as I’m not overly scared of being shot and killed and whatnot.

But I can’t prolong them to reach an ending.

It’s very bothersome… the waking up is usually very fast too… not like a lucid dream where the environment slowly gets less and less vivid and you KNOW you’re going to wake up… it’s just kind of like someone hits a stop button and I’m back in my bed.

Those dreams only happen about once every month for me. But quite often they have a ending. I think that you are one of the lucky ones that remember the entire dream. I usually forget most of the dream if I don’t write some of it down right after I wake up.
You are right about that you should go into a deeper stage of sleep after a dream. Maybe you are just a light sleeper. I think that most people can’t go back into into a dream that they have awakened from.

well the reason i remember them (without having to write them down)

is because they are really significantly cool, so i think about them a lot while trying to fall back asleep, and then a lot in the morning.

but… i kind of worry that i don’t get enough rest, because i’m usually very lethargic throughout the day… sometimes i think i have chronic fatigue syndrome.

i want to go to a sleep center sometime relatively soon actually… tell them about all this, have them chart what happens when i try to meditate, and what happens when i try to induce sleep (rather than just let it come “naturally”)

and whether I’m in REM while lucid… what what I was in immediately after waking up from a dream.

I wonder if they’d do all that for me?