Closing your eyes

ok, a few nights ago I had my first lucid dream. I didn’t do a RC or anything to realize I was dreaming. It was kind of like a voice told me I was dreaming. Anyways, I wanted to see what RC’s are like, so i tried a few even though I knew I was dreaming. First I tried the looking at my hands one and it worked, then I wanted to try the plugging your nose one, but when I did that I closed my eyes and this caused me to wake up…
Are you not suppose to close your eyes in a lucid dream or something?does this happen to everyone or am I just weird?[/code]

aww… that was how i found out how to wake myself up too. :sad:

The explanation for this is, the body is paralyzed in REM sleep. The whole body, apart from the eyes. When you move your eyes in a dream, your IRL eyes will move too. This is completely normal. It happens to me too, at least.

Closing your eyes in a LD will most likely wake you up. It does me anyway. Even when I use spinning I always keep my eyes open.

yeah I drifted into a normal dream after closing my eyes in one, I’ve tried not doing it since (as a littleside note, has anyone noticed if you blink in LD’s?)

No… I’m pretty sure that I don’t blink in LDs. Then again, I haven’t been lucid for ages… mutters darkly

lol, I find hitting yourself in the head works pretty well for taking out your anger on lack of LDs!! When you wake up you dont remember that you haven’t had any! You dont remember that you have had any, but thats not the point!

PistGurl asked:

You know. I have absolutely know idea. I have never paid any attention to that. I would think that you don’t since you don’t need to blink in a LD. Just like you don’t need to breath and can swim under water without coming up for air. I’ll try and remember to pay attention to that. Interesting question.

i would think that you WOULD blink in an LD for the same reason. you have to tell yourself you don’t have to breathe to not breathe underwater. in my NDs and LDs i breathe even though i don’t have to

[matrix] you think that’s air you’re breathing ??? [/matrix]

but i have never paid attention to if i do blink in my dreams so that is a very interesting question

but to stay on topic, closing my eyes in LDs does cause me to wake up, but sometimes i can get away with it, i’d say when you’re starting out to keep those eyes open though, no need to close 'em, might miss something :yinyang:

To be honest, I don’t recall spending any time in an LD working out whether you blink or not. Assume you can, since you can close your virtual eyes, but I don’t know if we do subconscious through the entire dream or not. I do remember a dream I had a few months ago, in which I noticed that me eyes felt kinda heavy or like there was something over the top of them. I later made a guess that it was simply that they were closed in RL, and I could feel this in the dream.

Last time I closed my eyes during entering WILD. What happened was very weird - I saw messages, written on a white screen.
one of them said “closing your eyes causes you to lose lucidity” after this I saw “loading dream” messages, which was very funny. :grin:
… and I woke up :cry:

But before I could close my eyes just fine…

Doesn’t for me. I can close my eyes just fine. Infact, I can close off my other sense too (cover up my ear, shut my nose so I can’t smell etc). I did all of them at once to see what happened.

Nothing happened, after I opened my eyes, un plugged my ears etc, I was still dreaming and just as lucid.

What else - oh yeah. I can blink. It’s funny standing in front of a clock and blinking really fast. It just seems to go crazy :grin:.

The question is do we usually blink?

Generally it is helpful to experience the LD as intensely as possible to prolong it. The reverse is to shut off senses (eyes are easiest) to make yourself wake up. Lucky lucky you Sureal! :cry:

I’ve never heard of closing your eyes as an RC. What is meant to happen?

Sureal

Interesting, I would most likely wake up in a heartbeat if I did that.

You know, I read a thread a while back where people said that they would close their eyes to prolong lucidity. (I can’t remember which thread) I never tried it myself. I was not willing to waste even one LD on a exercise that I knew would cause me to wake up. But, since you can close your eyes without waking up then, maybe you can experiment with it.

Closing your eyes can wake you up immediately unless you’re an experienced LD’er. Don’t worry, it’s pretty common… you’re not weird.

For an experienced LD’er, you can just walk around and keep other senses especially your sensation active in order to keep yourself in your dream. Also, don’t ever try to open your eyes. Just see through your eyelids in your dream and you’ll eventually see again without having to open your eyelids. And the sensation of your closed eyelids will also disappear.

Good luck!

Yeah, but I’m not an expereincd LD’er. I’m a newbie :smile:.

I think it might be because the first time I closed my eyes in an LD, I didn’t know that it was meant to wake me up. And it’s carried on to other dreams?
Or maybe I’m just lucky :happy:.

I suspect that people do blink in their LD’s without being conscious of it, just like in real life. You shouldn’t HAVE to blink, though.

You should never close your eyes in an LD. Not only does it mess with your real life eyes like mentioned earlier, but it also takes away a lot of the sensory input that you receive from your dream. That makes you more likely to wake up.

If you close your eyes when you are going to kiss a DC, then this might be an other reason for the dream to end abruptly.