Most helpful reality check?

Has anyone actually become lucid because of a RC? I know I haven’t. I either become LUCID with WILD or I just realize that I am dreaming for no reason and then do a RC (Which is usually unnecessary because I already know I am dreaming).

I’m on a mission from my friend to come over to that hall and get his two turntables and a microphone.

I’m going to the Torre Degli Angeli to find Lyra and Will…

I’m going to go through the cupboard and get to Narnia…

I have become lucid with an RC!

I’ve become lucid from an RC too. It’s always surprises me to find out that I’m dreaming that way - infact, I end up taking loads of different RCs just to make sure before I do anything rash.

I find the looking at clock then looking away is usually the one that confirms to me that I’m dreaming. But even that i do it two or three times to make sure.

If you can, try just one or two RC ‘s. That should be more than enough to convince you that you are dreaming. Use ones that are impossible to do in the waking world. RC ‘s can be unpredictable in dreams and you may RC yourself out of a LD.

Just a suggestion :smile:

Happy Dreaming

I"ve gotten lucid doing a RC

Not yet, I just suddenly realise I’m dreaming for no reason and then I might look at my hands to reassure myself.

I’m finding it really hard to remember to do reality checks during the day. I still can’t find one that’s suitable for me so I’m always trying different ones which isn’t good.

For me, looking at digital clock and turning on light switches worked best.
Never failed me.

Reading text doesnt always work for me - most the text is hyeroglyphic, and the part which is not doesnt change…

I’ve gotten lucid by doing RC many times, and almost every LD I have, I test reality before starting to exercise control.

The most helpfull reality check is a reality check that works in your dreams, AND one that you can make a habit of.

I found that asking where you have been lately is too darn hard, I cant make a habit of that cause it takes me lots on consous thinking to do that lol.

So, I find that triple checking your watch, then counting your fingers is quick, effective, and easy to do.

yes i have become lucid off a RC many times, this is teh way that it used to happen all the time, it is all to do with how much you do it through out the day and how much you actually think about it when you do it.

There is one RC that may help you, i mentioned it years ago here under a difrent name anyway.

Draw somthing on your say left hand, 2 or so hours before you sleep. Make sure it is something simple like a shape, circle is always good.

look at it as much as you can saying, when i next see this i will be dreaming. am i dreaming now? (then do a RC) it worked well for me.

Can’t you look carefully at the text and try to work out whether it is hieroglyphic or not?

Before I found this site, I usually just somehow knew that I was dreaming. I didn’t have any RC’s, it was just a hunch. I think before, I was trying too hard, and was trying to make everything I wanted to happen, happen at once. Now, I’m more accepting of what happens randomly in a dream, and just go with it. Last night, I was in a ND, but I think deep down I knew it was a dream… Anyway, I decided to do a RC. (Thanks to this site for the idea, btw :smile: ) I looked down at my watch, then looked again, completely different times. Once I saw that, I knew I could do whatever I wanted, just that I shouldn’t “overdo” it, like I had before.

Anyway, I guess I’m just saying this forum/site has been really helpful with my LD’s, and thanks. :smile:

The first time I went lucid, I was dreaming I was underwater for some reason and i was running out of breath, so I decided to breathe in, and it worked. It was at this point I realized I was lucid and almost broke the dream I was so excited and I stayed lucid for about an hour before some fool came in my room and jumped in the bed to wake me up because they wanted to borrow a cd, but oh well that was cool. Of course that RC only works if you’re underwater and already dreamiong, wouldn’t be cool to do that in real life :wink:

yes, i have become lucid from RC; twice from looking at my bedside clock (which incidentally is analog - i read in EWLD that analog clocks “don’t work for reality checks” but for this has worked fine for me, usually by displaying duplicates of the same number or showing words on the face instead of numbers) and last night i managed it by looking at my hands and discovering i had six fingers on each.

Yes, different things work for different people. Keep in mind that though EWLD is a great book it is based on his experiences and studies. However just because the book says something won’t work don’t take that as fact. Experiment with things for your self and see what works fore you. Treat the book and what people say on this site as a guide and not a bible. We are all different.

Strange, but I’ve never become lucid by doing an RC :eek:

Another RC that has helped me at least increase lucidity a couple of times is trying to look at the sun! It doesn’t hurt in the eyes when I’m dreaming.

Me either. In my DILD/MILD ld’s I just seem to know that I am dreaming. Other people seem to have the same experience.

Personally, I first try remember how I got here, what I ate for eg. lunch, etc. Sometimes I look at my hands - usually something strange happens. If that passes, then I try find something physical to test. Throw something in the air and see if gravity is working, etc.

Another one I use lately is to look out of windows and make sure the scene is normal. Works best when its a window you know.

Everyone has different checks that work for them. Some work for more people, some less. Some more consistent, some less.
There’s no magical catch all for everyone unfortunately

For instance, reading doesnt work for me. I can read very well in dreams.
And occasionally I find flying difficult for no apparent reason

I like the breathing through closed nose trick though… will try use that one too. Sounds feasible.

In my experience things in dreams tend to work pretty much the way you expect them to. So when you do the RC in real life really try and expect them to fail. (I.e if you use the plug you nose RC fully expect that you will be able to breath when you do it) I think this may help a lot of people who’s RC’s consistently pass in a dream.

(Generally to have an RC giving the wrong answer is called a “fail”, not a “pass”.)