New to the entire concept, but intrigued!

A friend got me into this idea, before 3 days ago I had never even heard of something of this magnitude, I’m quite intrigued and very excited to join your community. As soon as I discovered the website I read everything I could and immediately began a DJ , I have a few newbie questions I suppose.

Firstly… I have only EVER been able to remember about 3 dreams throughout my entire life (i’m 21 right now) and even then I remembered the general idea. Throughout every dream I’ve ever been able to recall I’ve only remembered about 3 visual images and they were stills, not moving images that i could recall. I have never remembered a dream that was real looking, they were all (from what i could recall) 2-3 seconds long with no real plot just scattered images.
What I’m wondering is… is this the dream? Or do dreams actually go on for long periods of time and we just only REMEMBER 2-3 seconds (if that) of our dreams?

Second… my DJ was a bit successful I suppose, however, I cannot recall ANY images, only feelings or a knowing of what the dream was about, no visuals whatsoever. My childhood dreams that I still remember to this day (about 3) I can remember a few pictures but that’s all. EVERY dreams I’ve remembered even slightly has been (from my rememberence) an OOB dream… from the 2-3 second fragments that i remember i have never remembered seeing myself or my hands or anything just scattered images…

I guess I’m just wondering if this is normal for everyone when they began or if I just have really bad dream recall from starting out… normally i remembered 1 dream a year, the last 2 nights I’ve written down 2 each night but it’s just 7-8 words from the dream and no visual images… the ZERO visual images is what really discourages me…

I appologise for the long post but thanks for your time and responses.

Don’t be discouraged and keep at it. Your recall will improve. Try also
drinking mint tea before you go to sleep rather than coffee or tea.

You’ve had OOBE’s? Or did you mean something else?

My dream recall was brief at first but not scattered images like yours.
The length has increased. Now even though my recall is good, I’m trying too hard to have LD’s so I have a dry spell :sad:

I know I’ll get over it!

Dreams really are long stories, not scattered images. Although the storyline may seem very weird sometimes, it all belongs to the same dream.

In fact, dreams are just like real life. When you have your first lucid dream (which will be soon, I KNOW :grin: ), you will see that it’s all just as clear and vivid as real life.

And… I think that your low starting point in dream recall will only make the path to lucidity more enjoyable. Recalling a cool and long dream for the first time will be amazing, I guess!

yeah, i agree w/ the above 2 posts. just remember that we all have to start from somewhere. you went from saying you only remembered 3 dreams in your whole life to 4 in the last two days. i’d say that was a huge step in the right direction, and just shows how powerful the mind is when you change it’s focus

write down those 8 word dreams… we’ve all have tem, the long ones are coming. welcome to the forum :yinyang:

Yeah, DR gets better over time. I went from pretty poor DR (maybe one a month - not as bad as yours I guess) to a couple a night in no time. I’m sure you’ll be able to remember them in time :happy:.

Keep a DJ - yeah, good idea. There’s always useful :happy:.

Also, you could try setting an alarm clock at some time in the night to wake you up (helps some people). If the alarms makes you forget your dreams as does a couple of other people, get something softer (like on a mobile phone) or use the self hypnotism thing many use.

-To do that, just go to sleep saying ‘I will wake up at Xam’

Or you could go to sleep saying, ‘I will remember my dream’ or somehting similliar (it’d probally be best to chose your own phrase, as you’d remember it easier). Till you fall alseep (or as long as you can if you fell it’s keeping you awake).

Good luck :content:.

Don’t worry DR recall is the first and fortunately one of the easiest skill to quickly improve. It is completely normal for you to (right now) not remember your dreams. Manny people don’t.

First- when you go to bed firmly tell yourself that you will remember your dreams when you wake up.

Second- when you get up in the morning write down anything you can remember about your dreams (even if what you write does not make any sense ). Make sure you write something every morning no mater how incoherent it is and you will very quickly start to remember more of your dreams.

The thing that’s discouraging me is the lack in visuals, for instance, today I woke up and had this written in my dream journal

“invisible - 5 mysterious deaths”

I have no visual images just a knowing that there was 5 deaths due to some invisible tradgety…

The never remembering a single moving visual is what gets me… i only remember scattered images, when i do remember images it’s like this…

imagine someone takign 3-5 pictures of things totally unrelated then just flashing them to you… that’s what i can recall hehe
So frustrating :bored:

Another thought I have. You may be waking out of “quiet” instead of rem sleep. You can try and go to sleep ½ earlier than usual which will allow you to sleep an extra ½ hour in the morning hopefully waking you out of REM sleep.

How much sleep do you get per night. It is important to get as much sleep as you can.

My sleep schedule actually varies a lot

On the average about 8 hours per night but sometimes in the upwards of 10

I thought about purchasing the nova dreamer, i read all about it and when I have my first LD i may go down that route of using a tool like that.

The past nights I have said the “mantra” “I’m going to dream, I’m going to remember my dream” and that’s how I came up with the previous results, it’s amazing how just willing your mind to do it produces such differing results.

I’m still just so discouraged by never remembering any kind of “movie” type dream, ONLY feelings or MAYBE 1-2 visual images, :sad: :grrr:

When you wake up, if you can, stay in bed for a little while. Don’t try and force yourself to remember a dream - that just won’t work (trust me on this…).

If nothing comes to you, just get out of bed and don’t worry about it for the rest of the day (if something does, write it down).

There’s still a chance that you’ll remember a dream you had becuase you hear a word to do with the dream or see someting similliar.

What happens if you don’t usually remember dreaming at all? Is the answer to keep a DJ when you do dream and hope it improves?

Do you use any drugs/alcohol or take medications? Many of these can kill dream recall and dreams all together.

You might want to try and wake yourself up after 6 hours of sleep and see if you remember any dreams and then write them down.

Well, there is a way to actively improve dream recall… see the Big MILD topic or this page: https://wikibooks.org/wiki/LD_Dream_Recall