REM Detecting LED Goggle Device Nova Dreamer Wanna Be Thing

I’d try reprogramming the chip (if you can)

I came up with an interesting function for an MCU-controlled Dream Mask:

Remember when LaBerge tested the validity of Lucid Dreaming? And how he used a machine to track eye movements? Well, if the sensors can track eye movements, then you could have the mask continually flasing LEDs until you continuously move your eyes in a pre-determined pattern.

And another one:

A mode called ‘learning mode’ where the mask would just gather data about REM periods without giving cues. Then, the mask could target your cues to your longest REM period. (thus, disabling the need for WBTB!)

The only limits are the sensors you use and the amount of memory in the computer (the PIC).

My first design (if i make one) will aim to have only one basic function (to detect REM and flash) and to be as small as possible.

I’m not even sure if i could sleep with a mask on, even less with one that has hard parts (batteries, sensor mountings etc).

i’m still stuck with my kvasar lol… I didn’t reprogram it since I last posted, but I’ll try doing that tonight. If that doesn’t work my dad said he could help me out by using an oscilloscope and seeing if the ir led works and if the sensor works too… I checked the contacts, there are no short circuits or anything wrong…

One thing I did notice though is the adjustable resistor messing up… It was set to 40 ohm and when i took another measurment it was all the way up to 200 or so… And it didn’t move or anything so i don’t know what happened… I’ll try and buy a new one and see if that does the trick…

it’s fun though, going through all the functions and setting everything up… the mask beeps as it’s supposed to but the leds don’t really work the same way they’re supposed to from the manual…

so i’m thinking either the programming messed up or there’s something wrong with the way i built things.

but when i do the calibration i get two beeps… which is what i should get… but then when i do the test i don’t know what the result means… both leds flash once and then it goes back to the B programming mode…

so i don’t really know what’s wrong…

:smile: the sensor had one pin disconnected… now it works… better… but it has other issues. i did reprogram the pic and verified it a bunch of times with no errors, so i would assume it got programmed right.

but the leds don’t flash when they’re supposed to (ie, when in the manual it says “shows on leds”… well nothing shows there… though the mask beeps right)… and now when i do the calibration, it just doesn’t work anymore.

i’m thinking maybe something else isn’t hooked up right, so i’ll be checking things out more, but this is getting kinda annoying lol…

I got a reply from Brindefalk to my e-mail… a VERY helpful trick (which i didn’t even think about).

Last night I tested the sensor with a remote control, to see if it works. And the sensor did picj up the IR light properly.
I also checked all my connections, and it all seems to be fine… except maybe for the IR led (which i can’t see right now since it’s attached to the mask)… I guess i should have taken my time. However, he told me i could use a video camera to try and see if the IR led works :smile:

I’ll be trying that later on today.

IT WORKS !!! :happy:

well, it doesn’t detect my eye movement yet, because it’s probably programmed in a very messed up way (i’ve been trying the buttons a bit ramdomly to get the leds going)…

but i can calibrate it right, and if i move my finger in front of it it flashes the leds :happy: :cool_laugh: :grin:

all i need to do now is program it right and try it out tonight

cough cough i would like to thank everyone who supported me, my family, uhm, god… the academy… :wink: sorry, i’m being a kid.

COOOL! Good work! :beer:

Tell us if you sleep with it on later (if you get it to detect eye movement). Maybe it just need some modification of the mask to align the diode?

now I’ll definetly have to build one to keep up :smile:

:neutral: well… i can’t make it work.
i got it to detect my eye opening and closing, i guess the movement of my eyelash does the trick. however, with the eyes closed, the sensor doesn’t seem to pick up anything. if i increase the intensity nothing changes, if i decrease it too much, the sensor won’t calibrate…

the fine line in-between (where the sensor calibrates but is dim enough to pick up the changes in intensity) just doesn’t seem to happen…

either the IR led and sensor aren’t placed in the best position relative to each other… or … i dunno.

i’ll keep trying, but i’ve been trying for the past three nights.

sigh

hehe, i’m such an idiot…

the reason it didn’t work is that every time i tried to see if the calibration worked, i looked down when moving my eyes left and right. last night i tried it again, looking straight ahead and it worked perfectly… it even flashed after i went out of the test mode :smile: i don’t really know why i was looking down, but the mask works allright.

i tried it last night, from about 5 i had it on… the problem is at 5:30 or something there was already light outside (starting to be at least) and the calibration probably went off. I have to get some blinds or maybe have some padding or something around and over the mask.

for now i’ll just try earlier, at 3 or 4, and i’ll try to go to sleep before 11.

I started thinking about making my own version of the kvasar. I won’t be using any eye-movement detection and I won’t use a mask since I probably won’t be able to sleep with it on. I’m going to get a PIC and use high intensity leds at each side of the bed. I think it will work since I usually don’t sleep on my back.

I will program a timer that will turn on after 1-2 hours. And I’ll have a button to delay the flashing if I wake up and the leds are blinking. The only problem will be if it’s too bright in the room, then I probably won’t see the blinking.
And since I have most of the parts needed, it won’t be that expensive. I will only have to buy the PIC and some leds :content:

Mine works now, I will try it tonight. It’s quite simple, it starts with a delay of 10 minutes and there’s one button that works as a RC and to increase the delay by 10 minutes with each key-press. When the delay is down to 0 it will flash for about 10 seconds. And then start over with the 10 minutes delay.

Are you getting any LD:s from it?

No, not yet. I have been tweaking it all week trying to get it to work properly. And now it finally works the way it should, but my dream recall has been much lower than usual for some reason. And it’s been over 2 weeks since I have had a LD last time :cry: .

I have only seen flashing lights in my dreams once this week. But I did wake up two times this night while the lights where flashing.

gah, i know how it feels… after i finished my kvasar, i tried it out for about a week, getting the settings to work and everything.
but lately i’ve been so tired and so busy that my dream recall is way down and i barely get enough sleep as is. i’ll go back to it whenever i get more sleep.

good luck with your device though, i hope it’s gonna work.

Great to hear that people have built there own nova dreamer type device. Just keep in mind that for best results you still have to do your RC and train yourself to recognize the cues the device gives you.

Good luck all. :smile:

Tonight I did see flashing in a dream, but I didn’t realise I was dreaming :cry: .
I was skating in a circle on a ice and about once a second I would almost pass out, and I saw red every time. I thought it was real and that I really passed out every time. I thought the red was from seeing red every night from the novadreamer clone :ack:

Oh well, atleast I’m getting closer. I should really start noticing flashing IRL.

/edited/ I added a few more functions to the button. Now I can turn of the lights if I wake up with them flashing. And I have also added a countdown reset by holding the button for about 0.5 sec.

here’s my kvasar…

the problem (as i figured) is the spacing between the sensor, the IR led and the eye… sometimes it’s not constant (the dissadvantage with safety glasses) and when it is, the IR sensor is a little too close to the eye… it detects eye movement allright when i test it, but when i sleep the glasses move around and the settings are lost.

So as I figure I’ll just build a new support and see how that works. I didn’t have much time lately to work on that, but i’ve also had a really hard time ld’ing, which is motivating me to try and finish the project…

(also in the image is my small pic programmer, it works quite nicely)

Yesterday I made a completely new version of my novadreamer clone. I remembered that I had some old swimming goggles that would work very well. I put a IR-LED and a photodiode on one side and a LED on the other. And I then have wires going to a small box that has a 1x16 LCD screen, very handy when testing and also much easyer to read data from what happened during the night :cool:

It seems to be working quite well but it get’s very moist in the goggles because they sit so tight. So last night I took them off after 2 hours :cry: and I can’t make any holes in them because that will make them much less sensitive. But if I can’t figure out any other way I might have to :sad:

I couldn’t sleep at all with the swimming goggles on :cry: they got very damp even with holes in them and they where uncomfortable. So I made a new mask that’s soft :content: After a bit of fixing I could even sleep with it on last night but when I woke up after 4 hours of sleep it hadn’t flashed once and it had a 80 minutes delay :grrr: :help:

I wonder if it’s possible that I woke up several times and pressed the RC button but I can’t remember? or did I move somehow and happen to press it by mistake or is it some programming error :bored: I think the mask had also moved quite a bit during the night, so I have to make it tighter around the head.

I have the goggles to look for eyemovement every 5 minutes and they check for about 30 seconds before going back to the 5 minutes delay. They only react on quite large and fast eyemovements. Or lots of smaller ones and they don’t react to slow changes in ambiemt light in the room.

//edited//
I figured out why they didn’t flash during the night. A small programming mistake :ack: And I have also added a little code so that I can see at what time each eye-movement detection occured, but since I ran out of memory I can only record the first 28 times. But that should be enough, I hope :wink:

//edited// again :tongue:

I used the eeprom to save the data and I made the LCD show at what time after it was turned on, the detection of eyemovement occured and how long the REM-period was. I also had to make it a lot more sensitive because it didn’t detect anything last night :cry: even if I wore it all night.

I also have it displaying the total assumed REM-time. With each detection it adds 5 minutes to it. It’s not that accurate, but it’s always something fun to look at in the morning :grin: And that’s about all I can do with it because the program memory is almost full (970 out of 1000 bytes). And I have now used about half of the RAM available and the eeprom to save the data from the night.

//edited// again :roll:

The flashing works very well now :cool_laugh: but since I have only gotten 2 nights with 6-7 hours of sleep each I haven’t seen any flashes in dreams yet :sad: And I have changed the programming every day and I tried to save the data from the night and put it on the LCD directly in time + amounts of minutes the REM lasted. But it hasn’t worked properly so I have changed that every day with no improvement.

So now I only save 1 number for each time the detection happens, so in the morning I have to manually figure out at what times the detections happen. This because the largest number I can use is 256, so each 1 represents 5 minutes during the night. I hope this will work :bored: And I will keep editing this post until I get a LD from the NDC (novadreamer clone :grin: ) or someone else posts something here.

And it seems like the detection has to be quite sensitive for it to work. A change of 1 happens all the time and 20 if I move my eye from the center all the way to once side. It didn’t detect anything at all during a night when I had it at 8 and now I have it at 4 and that seems to work well. I also have a sort of “adaptive” sensitivity, so if the ambient light changes slowly it won’t detect that at all.