Question about BECOMING lucid from Reality Checks

I have a question that has probably been asked before, but how can a reality check happen in a dream if you’re not lucid yet?
How can you perform a reality check without already being lucid… since you have no control it seems you’d never actually have a reality check?

I haven’t tried becoming lucid yet not with WILD or MILD , i’ve only been trying to record my dreams to start but it seems like people start trying to LD pretty early so maybe i should start looking into trying to LD now?
I’ve been dream recording for 4 or 5 days now with a lot of success.

1. By habit
  2. By noticing something unusual (this is also a habit)

Your habits can come into the dream world, and with reality checks, they often do.

I’m going to do an RC when I see a certain two persons. Hopefully that will extend into my dreams too.

I use RCs to become lucid.
The point of doing RCs is to do them throughout the day, when you are awake. Like clark said, it is a good idea to relate the habit of doing RCs when you see or do certain things (like if you have a dreamsign), or when something weird is happening (if earth become invaded by UFOs). That way, you will sooner or later do a RC when you are in a dream, even though you think you are awake, and hopefully realise that you are in fact dreaming.

You should always use a backup RC (do two RC together) in case one fails. I mainly rely on RCs to become lucid, and though I can’t use all of them, the hand RC and nose RC have yet to fail me. However, you have to find out for yourself what the best RCs are for you.

Yeah, doing it through habit. You’ll find in a dream that you’ll just randomly take an RC, and with any luck it will pass and youll become lucid.

Though there are some dreams where you’re RC’s just refsue to work. I’ve spent almost na entire dream taking RC’s and not one fo them passed.
Luckily though, I had an FA strait after it, and took my morning RC which passed (you should always take an RC when you wake up) :grin:. So I got to explore my dream bedroom :smile:.

But it IS startling. At least, it is for me. The first time my RC’s passed, I freaked out and lost lucidity :tongue:.

Hehe, the first time I did a RC that passed, I was telling someone about lucid dreaming. I was showing him how to use the counting fingers RC, and demonstrated by counting my 7 fingers…

I didn’t really notice though, I just said that this was a very good example, and that if this happened to him, he should realise that he was in a dream. Still, it never occured to me that I was dreaming. I bet the DC was amased by my stupidity…

People already mentioned how you can automatically incorporate RC’s into dreams when you’re non-lucid.

Strange as it seems, sometimes there is a half-lucidity that you can get. It’s a feeling that maybe you’re dreaming, but probably not. You can go either way at that point – you might become lucid, but you might just drift back into the dream. A well-placed RC can nudge you toward lucidity.

1. you develop a habit of critically questioning your reality while awake which will carry over into your dreams. What you do/think during the day often carries over to your sleep.

2. By keeping a dream journal you get to know what you dream life is like. You will be able to pick out recurring themes, people, places.

The way this works for me is that I will suddenly just realize I am dreaming in the middle of a dream. I usually don’t become Lucid because of a specific dream sign or theme. For me it is more like an awareness of the dream state. I find my self just suddenly saying this is a dream. I then often then do a RC to confirm that I am dreaming but, it usually is not necessary because I all ready know I am.