What should new LDers be told

Well I told you the debate will go on. This is a great discussion though.

Unfortunately I still don’t know what the right answer is. I am still 100% against telling people that lucid dreaming is hard.

Perhaps this is the safest middle ground.

We can just be supportive and encouraging with new LD ‘ers.

I beleive there is a new danger. If you hold your breath, you can pass out or die. No joking. So I suggest you don’t try to sufficate your self in an LD, or in RL for that matter.

Back onto topic, I am also against ever telling them that it’s hard. Because it’s not. Lucid dreaming is easy. I don’t understand why people fidn it hard. THey just make it hard. THey have to stop wanting lucidity so hard.

I just have to say this, because my teacher said it and didn’t understand why everyone was laughing at him. I guess this debate has become popular, and so we aught to call it a mass debate. Ha, ha, not funny!! :tongue: Awww, it wasn’t a bad attempt at humor!?

But we enjoy messsing with your minds. It means you will never be able to leave the forum again. Plants idea into heads :tongue:

I’ll pop in and just cough towards a relevant section of the wikibook which hasn’t even been changed since the debate started:

(the underlines are mine)

This is called Neutral point of view. I think that I’ll just pop in and say that I agree with what people seem to have arrived at, which is NPOV, so I win. :content:

Yes, but it talks about how one can make it hard for themselves, not easy. You must give them a NPOV while tellling them how some people have mamnaged to make it easy.

I’m not sure it’s completely a NPOV, because it talks about how to make it hard for themselves.

Darn. I keep posting as the avatar reaper when I’m logged in. Sorry.

Not so fast.

Technodreamer. Grrr.

I really like that. We should tell them that.

Let’s tell them that when everything goes blank they’re eyes are being pushed out of their sokets in RL.

I don’t understand - it just says that with bad circumstances, LDing may take longer.

You can’t kill yourself by holding your breath. If you hold it for long enough, you pass out. Once you pass out, you automatically begin breathing again.

Exactly. And although it’s not ment to put a negative view, it does. Even if it is subconscious.

That’s still pretty dangerous. I’m sure you would make youself ill.

Yeah probably kill off some brain cells at the least.

yep, that is a age old trick that little kids use on their parrents to get their way, if only parents knew thet their kids wouldnt die. they will give up. but if the kids see results then they keep at it. it is very dangours and yep you are right jon you do lose a far few brain cells lol. may as well ut a drink in their hands and tell em 2 drink

Yes it can. There was a another negative statement in wikibooks I don’t remember it exactly. I’ll have to read it again later and see if I can find it. Again it was not intentional but could be subliminal.

As I see it here are the facts:

1. Lucid dreaming can be learned by anyone and is easy.
  2. Despite fact # 1 a lot of people are struggling with it.

As you saw when we tried to send the positive message that LD ing is easy the reaction from some people was hostile. It was taken (wrongly) as an insult to there efforts ro have LD ‘s.

So we can’t say it is easy. But I don’t think just telling them that it takes practice and patience is being helpful to people either.

So the question remains. How do we help people who are struggling in a way that is beneficial to them?

Actually you lose brain cells everyday just by breathing in all the car fumes and such. I read/heard somewere that the brain fixes itself slowy rebuilding itself. Although the process is a slow one.

what i wonder is how a kid can have enough will to force himself to pass out via hold his breath?

i’ve tried to do that to myself before and man… i’d say it’s near impossible.

maybe kids are just really so perfectly in tune with their minds that they can do anythign they want, and we ruin all that perfect mental … ness… but our “correct” ways of being.

We probably lose a lot of skills as we get older, because they’re ignored in our culture. I had lucid dreams when I was very young, but no schools teach you about dreams, you’re steered away from things like that. As a result I’m having trouble LD’ing now.

We’d probably all be communicating telepathically and living a peaceful existance if our culture had gone in the right direction. And we’d all be having lots of lucid dreams!

The “right” direction? I don’t think so. In fact, this is pretty much how I would like the world to be.

I meant “right” in the context of what I was saying, not in general. Maybe I should have said “that direction,” or “a different direction.”:stuck_out_tongue:

(Reminds me of the 5th book in Asimov’s Foundation series…)

EDIT: Personally, I don’t like the world the way it is now; money, jobs, war, deforestation etc., but that’s way OT!

Those things still exist, but there is less of it than before, so I think we are moving in the right direction.

I think its very easy in my ld i was in a game world I could do whatever i wanted.And when I woke up it started all over again.
What are everyone else opinions.quote

Well I think we are starting to move back into the “right” direction when you think about it. Lucid Dreaming is becoming more popular and in time I think we will be exploring things beyond LD ‘s.