Not Enough Sleep

Does anyone have any experience in not sleeping for a few days, and then inducing an LD?

Does this lack of sleep help induce the LD or intensify it or is there no effect…or does the unsufficent amount of rest just make induction more difficult?

I ask all this because I have slept since I woke up Monday morning,(because I’ve been taking adderoll for exams) and now its thursday evening, and im planning to sleep tonight.

Your opinions will be much appreciated…

You will most likely experience long and vivid dreams due to REM rebound though not necessarily lucid ones. Some people say it helps them have LD ‘s and others say it doesn’t. Everyone is different.

Part of the Suneye Technique (Method 5, I believe) describes the use of sleep deprivation to assist with the induction of lucid dreams. This particular theory favors the suspicion that skipping REM cycles will cause them to group up and return all at once at a later date. It’s a similar concept to the effects of alcohol, which apparently suppresses REM sleep, causing it to “rebound” at a later time (after the intoxication has dissipated) - and essentially resulting in an abundance of REM sleep.

The particular technique explains that skipping one entire night of sleep will cause you to experience additional REM cycles (or fewer, but much longer and more vivid cycles) the following night. Not sure what effects you’ll experience having not slept in 3 days, but presumably the above will still apply.

Personally, I’m interested in discovering the potential WILD benefits of this technique (I just can’t force myself to go that long without sleep). Since REM takes effect much, much faster if you’re deprived of sleep, then surely you’ll be at an advantage for consciously entering a dream as soon as you get to bed at night. Usually REM doesn’t begin for approx. 90 minutes in, so it would be an interesting experiment.

Atheist

I was practicing LD techniques back when I suffered with insomnia and I never had LD. It was not until I started to develop healthy sleep habits (first with medication then later with meditation and self hypnosis) that I started to LD. I know a lot of people have had success with this but I remain skeptical. Besides I can LD without it and believe me sleep deprivation is no fun at all.

Maybe because my insomnia was chronic I did not get the LD benefits. Life is not fair. :sad:

Happy Dreaming

Well, I assumed this would only work if you already had a fairly stable sleeping routine anyway. You have to develop a pattern before your mind can realize when the pattern has been interrupted - if that matters at all.

Atheist

Yes. I would imagine it is like other similar techniques. It will work for you in the short term but, your body soon adapts to it. Since my insomnia lasted so long my brain chemistry adapted to it. Just like people who use chemicals say that it helps them have vivid and even lucid dreams in the short term but it wears off very quickly. It is not something you would want to rely on to LD.

Just a side note: I was able to LD on the medication to treat insomnia. I don’t think it helped me have them but, it did not prevent them either. Except one. Fore a time I took ambien and was not able to LD with that drug. It was good for treating insomnia and is supposedly less addicting then others but it killed my LD s. The day after I stopped taking it my LD’s came back.

HAHA ambien is a messed up disociative.

I am suprised that some one else experienced such horrible insomnia from aderall. I took one 30 mg 8 hour slow release and I was up for like two days… lol.

I didn’t experience any dream benifits though.

It actually was not a bad med for me. Worked good for sleep. What most people don’t understand about it is that you are supposed to take it when you are going to sleep, as in putting you head to pillow. It works fast like 5-15 min. There is no dream benefit. Like I said I never got lucid on it. I got to the point where I would start to do things in the middle of the night and not remember them. That + the cost made me get off it. I started having LD’s again the day after I stopped it.

Anyway:

Revelation

If you want to use sleep deprivation as a technique 24 hrs should be more than enough time to get the rebound effect. I am thinking that 3 days might be too long and you may just have deep sleep with little REM. Your body can only be pushed so far. It would be interesting to hear how you made out though.

I tried sleep deprivation…I’ve just given up the no sleep at all thing. But found it impossible to just go to sleep at a normal time again, so here I am, 3:53am, going to bed in about 2 hours. Getting an hour more sleep every night. The whole no sleep thing didnt work, but I did have cool ND. I don’t know about everybody else, but I think for me, if I’m really sleep deprived I don’t get LD’s, cos I dont usually get DILD’s but I have to do MILD, so if I’m REALLY tired 'll just fall aslep. But if I have LOADS of sleep, I don’t either cos I don’t feel tired enough to go to sleep while doing MILD or anything. So I think I’m just gonna get like an hour less sleep than my body would actually prefer…it might work!

I went without sleep for a night a couple weeks ago. The next night I remembered like 5 dreams in vivid detail.

Yes. REM rebound will give you long vivid dreams but, not necessarily lucid ones.

I don’t think REM rebound is that bad and as claimed by the Lucidity Institute it can give nightmares or actual lucid dreams (even if you change the nightmares into LD’s) since the brain is highly active.

No, REM rebound is not “bad” it does work for some people. However, even the people who say it works state it is not effective in the long term for those who want to learn to LD at will. Also REM rebound is not a magic technique that will guarantee a LD. As PistGurl and evilshiznat can attest to. Just another technique. Works well for some and not so well for others. You have to decide for yourself.

i have only just this week managed to properly WILD and twice too, not gonna say iv’e cracked it yet but here is for hoping

When not sleeping for a a night, the following day when going to sleep are the REM cycles closer than on an average night (i mean closer as in 30 min after you start as opposed to 2hr just to clarify)???

… could possibly help with WILD and decrease the waiting?