I'm new to this

Hello. I am new to this fantastic site, I’ve had many many LDs already, most unintentionally even. I still am having some trouble intentionally becoming lucid though, two nights ago I had a recording of me saying “You are dreaming” over and over set to play 2 hours after I fell asleep. It seemed to work, but it was in the form of somebody else inside a dream saying it, it was kinda scary actually and I just ended up waking up disappointed. I tried lowering the volume last night and same results. Any suggestions?

Actually put some meaning into that recording. What i am saying is that when you hear that recording, actually consider the idea that you may be dreaming. Otherwise it will just end up sounding like some indecipherable thing, empty in itself to your subconscious.

SO something like “Are you dreaming?” instead of “you are dreaming”? so that way it kinda makes me think about it and hopepully result in lucidity?

Yes, that could help. Also don’t forget to firmly remind yourself that “I will realize I am dreaming the next time I am dreaming”. Say that over to yourself several time until you can repeat it without other thoughts distracting you. If you can repeat the mantra until you go to sleep that would be even better.

Some other thoughts:

=> Hook the tape player to a timer and have it go off several times thought the night that way you can hit several rem periods. Most of the timers are cheep 5-10 dollars and can be set at 15 min intervals.

=> You could also hook up a strobe light to the timer as well so you may get verbal and visual cues.

=> I am assuming that you are doing RC and keeping a DJ. If you are not I highly recommend it.

yep good ideas. also think about what u want to do once you are lucid in the dream and see your self doing this. what do you want to do? :happy:

hey yeah the timer thing sounds like a good idea, especially with the lights… that’d be like a novadreamer…sorta, i’ll look into setting something like that up

Yes it worked (for me anyway). Obviously not as programable as the nova dreamer but you don’t have to try and sleep with a mask on either. Will only cost you about $30.00

W/the strobe light use the color screens. (I used the red) otherwise it is too bright.

sweet… i guess i’ll check radioshack for the parts eh?

Radio shack is usually expensive. Go to like k-mart or wal-mart or something.