Sleeping in a new place

What are your experiences from sleeping in a new place? I slept 3 last nights in a different place (a cottage (??)) and I had 2 LDs, very good (comparing to my average) dream recall. I had generally high level of awareness (low & near-lucid).

Whenever i sleep in a new place i have very vivid dreams, and a great night sleep. It is very obvious that can help you sleep better. However I must note- it must not be someplace new that you sleep- but rather someplace new that you’ve been. I find that if theres a bed in the house which you only use for sleeping… ONLY - No reading books, no sitting on it, no resting, NOTHING, and in an room or area sectioned off that you ONLY use for sleeping- You can experiance this effect every night.

EDIT
What i mean by “New place” Is that if you go to sleep on your couch in the living room which you might use to read or watch tv or relax and such- You won’t get this effect. It must be something you haven’t touched for anything besides getting sleep.

I have had good experiences with sleeping the other direction on my bed. However, my sleep is always very different, because sometimes my gf stays over, other times I am by myself in the usual direction, and other times I try the other direction. Since I have had this alternating sleep cycle I have had more LDs, but this may just be a coincidence.

Whenever I sleep in a new place, my NDs aren’t very vivid and I rarely have LDs. Sometimes when very ODD things are happening, I can pull a WILD quite easily. Once when my grandparents’ bathroom flooded while I was staying there, I had a high lucidity LD and another time when in the back of a car, I had a vivid LD as well. It’s interesting how that sort of thing can happen.

i slept round my mates house on her floor on sat and i only got at most 6 hours but i still had a definate false awakenin which seemed so real, i knew it wasnt because in my FA it was morning but wen i woke up 4 real it woz still night

i might of had an LD if i had more sleep but u never know

I never sleep well in a strange place so my dreams are not usually as vivid and I seldom LD under these circumstances.

whenever i slept at my grandma’s when i was younger i’d have constant nightmares…

my cousin said the same thing…

kind of creepy … you know? Like it was haunted or something… it hasn’t happened in a long while though… hmm… you know it might have just been us insecure from being away from home in the first place.

I dont’ know… I’ve had some pretty screwed up dreams though… my first experience with apnea (?) where I had a drowning dream and I had to force myself awake gasping for air… at that age I thought for sure that I would have died if I didn’t wake up.

Maybe I was consciously holding my breath since the dream involved being underwater though.

But no my dreams are usually less vivid in strange places because I usually am on vacation and thoroughly exhausted from being out and about, and therefore sleep better.

Whenever I sleep somewhere other than in my own bed, I have no dream recall at all.

hm… when I returned, everything got back to “normal” - no LD’s, weak dream recall. Maybe it was because of conditions - fresh air, colder, etc.
I remember that the time before when I slept in other place (my friend’s) I also had LD’s and very good recall. So it can be effect of change, or just my room is a very bad-suited place to LD’ing.

holy reality, could I request you think before you dot-dot-dot your sentences? I used to do it too (before I came here) and it is such a pain to read. Just my opinion though.

If you had two nightmares at your grandma’s, that would probably be enough to create an association and cause more. Sad but true.

First let me see if I under stand you correctly. When you sleep at home you have no dream recall and no LD’s. But, when you sleep somewhere else you have great dream recall and LD’s.

That is strange. The complete opposite of me. How is your sleeping environment? You might want to try and rearrange your room and see if that helps.

Yeah according to fung shui etc, sleeping facing diffeent directions makes you dream of different things, or makes you remember differently etc.

These days, the only time I find myself sleeping somewhere other than my own bed, is when I’m too intoxicated to risk driving home. It’s not surprising, then, that I don’t remember having decent dream recall or bouts of lucidity on any of these occasions. The following “recovery night”, however, is generally much more fruitful. :wink:

It seems reasonable to me that sleeping in unusual places would provide an increased chance of having a lucid dream, simply because your mind would probably be more “aware” throughout the night. You don’t have the familiar feel of your own bed, so you instinctively sleep lighter in case you need to quickly react to danger. The security of your own environment allows you to be more confident and reach a deeper level of sleep.

To take it a step further, it also has a lot to do with routines. People like to build consistent routines for dealing with day-to-day activities, like sleeping. If this subconscious routine is interrupted for any reason (bed doesn’t feel the same, sounds are different, light levels are different, etc), then you won’t be able to assume your usual routine, which forces you to remain a little more conscious of the environment around you - before and during sleep.

Anyway, those are just a few random ideas.

I only wish that were true for me. Every time I have to attend a conference or rally and sleep in a different bed ( usually a hotel ), I never have LD ‘s. :sad:

Out of curiosity, do you ever notice you dream differently, or have better/worse recall when you stay in these different places? Just interested to see if there’s any difference at all for you.

The factor I found that makes sense is air humidity. When I wake up at home, my mouth is usually very dry and that’s uncomfortable. I also seem to have significantly better dream recall when the air is colder, so I sleep with open window now.
The other thing is that at home I have softer mattress, but I don’t think it matters.

I doubt it’s a matter of just changing place. It may be just effect of my bad sleeping environment. Tomorrow I’ll go out with my class for a 6-day camp(?), so I’ll see if my recall/awareness will improva.

Atheist

Usually my dream recall in those situations is not good at all. Though that is somewhat understandable because my over all sleep is not good either. I just don’t like sleeping in unfamiliar places. Also I have regular bedtime routines that are hard to follow when I am away from home.

Not too long ago I moved into a new apartment and got a new bed that was not very comfortable. I had A hard time with WILDS for a while and just a few DILD. After I got used to my new environment My LD’s and dream were back to normal.

Well, I returned from the camp. No ld’s, horrible recall. I think it heavily depends on conditions and amount of sleep.

That can be a major factor in my experience. For me poor sleep habits can lead to poor dream recall and weak or no LD’s.