dream characters killing

Atheist

Of corse. Since the beginning of time man kind has been at the top of the food chain. We have been hunters, explorers and (yes) warriors. Aggression and violence is deeply routed into our being. It is just we chanel this energy differently then our ancestors did. Unfortunately, as you said we pretend this aspect of our nature does not exist. We consider ourselves to be more civilized than our ancestors. But as a species are we really. We posses weapons capable of destroying the world 100 times over. Our ancestors may have been barbarians yet each clan cared for it’s own. Do we care for ours. All you have to do is walk down any street in the seeder areas of where you live to see how well we take care of our own. Visit a nursing home or psychiatric hospital and even a prison. Incarceration has never proved to be a deterrent for crime so why do we still do it to non violent offenders. ( gone off on a tangent )

(Back on point)
I think we are born with both positive and negative aspects of our nature. They are both important and make us who we are. I think it is important to keep these two elements in balance with each other. Some people my find themselves in unfortunate circumstances such as I described in my previous post. ( drugs/alcohol addiction, poverty, abused as children etc) Any of these things can throw you out of balance. When ever this balance is disrupted in either direction a person is headed for potential disaster.

( trying to get it back on topic and relate it to lucid dreaming)

I think it can healthy to (select negative action) once in a while in a lucid dream. It can help you plow off steam and bring yourself back in balance with your self. You have a safe forum to Chanel your excess negative feelings so why not take advantage of it. I believe that you can even grow and learn from it.

I’ll end with my caveat that though I believe it is perfectly healthy to (negative action) in a LD. Be sure to keep things balanced with some positive dreams too. :yinyang:

I was not going to post again on these 2 threads (you can’t reason with some people so I’ll just ignore them as I don’t have time to waste anyway) but I found this.
I found a very interesting news article which talks about the problem of violence - very much related to what I was posting in these 2 threads.

Nick Berg’s executioners all too clearly enjoyed beheading him
By Theodore Dalrymple
(Filed: 13/05/2004)

One thing that unites the men who beheaded the American Nick Berg in Iraq, the soldiers who abused Iraqi prisoners in Abu Ghraib, the Palestinians who have held on to Israeli body parts in Gaza City and the murderers of Daniel Pearl in Pakistan is that they all enjoyed what they did, and enjoyed it immensely.

There is almost no greater pleasure known to man than to commit great acts of cruelty in the belief that the cause of right and justice is being served. Anyone who has observed rioters will know that they are having a wonderful time: could there be a greater joy than vandalism with a social purpose?

I used to wonder how it was possible for ordinary men to commit evil acts, and to do so en masse. I was thinking of Nazi Germany at the time, but I might just as well have been thinking of the Soviet Union. More recently, we have the example of Rwanda, where perfectly ordinary people who had been living in apparent conditions of friendship with their neighbours suddenly turned on them and hacked them to death with machetes.

There are a few exceptional human beings who seem to delight in evil all their lives. It is as if there is some inherent or acquired defect in their brains that renders them unable to learn the decencies of life or conform themselves to the canons of civilised behaviour.

From the earliest age, they stand out by their capricious and cruel wilfulness. They delight in torturing animals, dousing them in kerosene and setting them alight, or putting them in the washing machine; they lie and cheat for preference, even when there is no advantage in doing so. They are indifferent to the opinions and sufferings of others, and never learn to modify their behaviour from their own experience.

They are what the 19th-century alienist J. C. Prichard called "morally insane’’: they are neither deluded nor hallucinated - they may even be of good intelligence - but they are incapable of internalising a moral code and of conforming their conduct to it.

Such people are comparatively rare. They might be called evil by nature, although whether someone who performs evil deeds because he is neurologically incapable of performing good ones can be blamed for his behaviour is a puzzle that I leave to the moral philosophers.

Such people are, in any case, few. In the course of my work, I meet them from time to time, and they make your blood run cold. But most evil is not committed by the morally insane, or psychopaths in the Hannibal Lecter mould: it is committed by ordinary people, the kind of people who pass you in the street every day.

My vision of humanity has darkened, not since I read about Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia, which seemed to me exotic and distant, culturally and politically, but since I began to investigate the lives of ordinary British people in modern conditions. I have come to the conclusion that the default setting of man is to evil and that, if not all, then many or perhaps most men will commit evil if they can get away with it.

Where there is neither social nor legal pressure to behave decently, there will be a festival of evil. We have created a society in which often there is neither such pressure; as a consequence, I am confronted every day in my work by new evidence of man’s propensity to evil, in the conduct of my patients or that of the people with whom they consort. The gratification that people derive from inflicting suffering on others is unmistakable. Furthermore, it is quite obvious that evil exerts a fascination and attraction for others who do not themselves indulge in it.

For example, it is clear that many young women prefer evil young men to decent ones. Indeed, they are attracted to men with evil written on their faces, as it often is. And the evil that these men do, the violence they commit, is often performed with a simulacrum of an excuse or moral pretext.

A man beats his girlfriend because he alleges that she is two-timing him, but really because there is no better way of keeping her in line, and because beating a defenceless woman is such fun. The sensation of a smashed glass meeting the face of a supposed or pretended enemy is balm to the soul of someone who feels himself to have been wronged all his life.

The experiments of the psychologist Stanley Milgram, published 30 years ago in a book entitled Obedience to Authority, showed how far ordinary people were prepared to inflict pain and even danger, in the form of a simulated electric shock, on a fellow citizen, merely at the behest of a stranger. They had no special reason to do so, beyond a desire to please the stranger and allegedly to further the cause of science.

Very few actually resisted; and if these ordinary people had had a cause for hatred, or had been persuaded that they had a cause for hatred (which often amounts to the same thing), of the person on whom they thought they were inflicting pain and suffering, such minimal resistance as they demonstrated would have evaporated. There is nothing they would not have done.

If the Kingdom of God is within you, so is the Kingdom of Evil. I know this from my experience of myself.
When I was about nine, there were often ants’ nests at the base of our house. I used to love pouring boiling water on the ants, seeing them transformed from living beings into little boiled black dots.

How easily I persuaded myself that, by killing them, I was defending our house, preventing it from being undermined! Yet even as I told myself this, I knew that it was the killing I loved, not the structure of our house.

Both self-examination and my experience of others tells me that evil lurks within all of us, waiting for its opportunity to spring. Civilisation may be a veneer, but it is the veneer that separates us from barbarism. Never forget Original Sin and its consequences.

Theodore Dalrymple is a prison doctor

Source was the Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2004/05/13/do1301.xml&sSheet=/opinion/2004/05/13/ixopinion.html

has anyone every killed a recurrent dream character and then noticed that they hadnt appeared after you had killed them in later LD’s?

• Silva

clark kent please shorten that link by making use of URL tags… it’s completely ruined this page.

I would like to chime in on the “it makes you feel good to release stress on DC s” thing… well…

Maybe I’m just really different/pacifistic, but I recently had an LD, and some girl I didn’t like was mouthing off to me, I had just attained lucidity, she callled me an idiot or something… and I grab this chair, and I start running at her…

and then I can’t hit her… I just can’t make myself do it, she’s just standing there, the leg of the chair is right next to her eye… she’s lifeless… more or less… so am I.

and I woke up, feeling quite bad, although I had a rush.

Would I have felt good if I gave her a beating? Well, probably, but suffice to say I couldn’t bring myself to do it… maybe shooting her would have been easier I guess, but guns don’t have any real dream affect, nor do swords/knives/etc in my dreams… .it’s all in beatings or magic.

I just thought I’d share that… it’s fitting I guess ince one time in real life I almost hit her (she hit me becuase she thought I knocked a stand over on her) and then I sort of “stopped” halfway in motion and looked like a retarded idiot who didn’t know how to punch people… everytime I’ve tried to punch someone out of anger I’ve never been able to succeede come to think of it, unless I’m already being wailed on, but that’s more like just if a friend is hitting me in the arm or something, it’s not an I want to kill you punch.

Maybe managing to go ruthless on a real life resemblant DC that made me angry would be good for me … I don’t know.

most of the DCs i’ve fought/killed weren’t recurring DCs… though that question is interesting… perhaps you simply don’t expect to meet a DC you killed, because… well… he/she’s dead… perhaps you should try to conjure him/her back up

that’s happened to me a couple times, i usually have a good handle on my beast but sometimes i gotta break out the choke collar :content:

silva

I seldom get recurring DC in my WILD lucid dreams unless I summon them. But, in one of my DILD I killed recurring DC and he did reappear in future ND and DILD. However, there was one DC that I banished from my dreams and she never appeared again. I never thought about that until now.

oneiromancer

That makes sense to me. I knew the DC I killed was not really dead (I was lucid and it was just a dream)so he returned in future dreams. When I banished another DC I must have sent my subconscious a clear message that I did not want that person to return.

holy reality

I don’t know if it would help you or not. Only you can decide what is right for you.

In my opinion I think it is a perfect example on how, even though we are just dreaming we some times forget that and behave according to waking life morality, ethics etc. In our society, men don’t beat women. However, if you really feel a need to vent some frustration on this person you could transform her into a Xena type character there by giving yourself the illusion of it being a fair fight.

it didn’t have to do with not wanting to beat women (i believe women deserve to be beaten in some cicrumstances, you shouldn’t let them get away with hitting you whenever they get mad, but there’s no need to use excessive force… i just hate the way girls think they can hit and kick and scratch and throw things at guys and get away with it, they shouldn’t get away with it as far as I’m concerned!)

it just had to do with I wouldn’t normally bash someone’s head in with a chair for them making fun of me, even if I hated them, so I felt bad about it.

If she were attacking me I probably would have, though one time a baby was attacking me and I was going to slam it’s head into the wall multiple times but I couldn’t… it’s harder to attack a baby though than a woman…

But anyway the other day I hit her in the face with a basketball numerous times, it wasn’t really “her” though but… oh well… it didn’t make me feel bad or good, and I think I apologized afterward maybe… the dream was set up to make me want to do it though, since she was just randomly there for some reason, so I was probably supposed to.

I have done things in my LD that I would not even think of doing in real life. Since it is just a dream I don’t feel guilty about them. Maybe you should allow yourself just one day per week to vent in your dreams. Give yourself permission to do this and a reminder that there is nothing to feel guilty about because it is just a dream.

Good Luck

well we’ve been over this before, how you would act lucidly in a dream is a good indicator of how you would act in society if you were to never be punished for anything.

The only difference being that my DCs don’t run and scream and exhibit pain (while lucid) so… it’s more video game esque, but that isn’t accounting for shared dreams, which I do think I have at times.

If I feel like venting in a dream I’ll vent though, but that doesn’t mean I need to puporsefully go stalk people I dislike and torment them in dream.

You sound as though you know this to be a fact.

For me, there is a huge difference between living in a society where you won’t be punished and a lucid dream. I certainly do not think it is far to say that what you do in a LD is an indicator of what a person would do if there were no laws. There are plenty of things that I would not do even if it were “legal” or I thought I could “get away with it.”

In my opinion a dream (lucid or otherwise) is not real. That is the difference.

I never said you should.

In fact in my last post

I was not revering to violence at all. :wink:

Something I’m sure we all do sometimes (i know i said the same thing to someone else that you just said to me in one of these debates in fact…), I believe it to be true, myself. Whether the dream is real or not isn’t the issue, the issue is you are free to do anything you like, good, evil, in between, something you are not free to do in society. How you regularly conduct yourself in a lucid dream says a lot about your conscious psyche, just as your normal dream content says a lot about the unconscious and so forth.

Me too, but what about the things you dont’ feel bad about doing while lucid, such as stealing from wal-marts, maybe… I hate wal-mart and I hate this coproration controlled society… would I steal from places if I could get away with it? That I really do not know, but I like doing it in dream. It would still be “wrong” in a way becuase it hurts the consumer, not just the corporation, and there are plenty of good people within the company it hurts too.

But would I steal common items like food and junk food and the occasional video game if I could? I have no clue. On the other hand I know I wouldn’t go on random killing sprees in public, much like I wouldn’t normally do that in a dream unless it was in context somehow, like self defense, or, something.

But I do enjoy voyeurism in dream, would I do that in real life? I don’t know…I’d feel bad about it, but I can also feel bad about it in dream too… the point I’m illustrating is if you have no qualms with doing interactive simulations of activities in a regular basis in a lucid dream, that says something about you and your behavior and your morals, and so on and so forth, and is an indicator towards your personality, and towards what you would do if you could do ANYTHING.

Keep in mind power hugely corrupts… I honestly don’t know how well I’d handle myself in real life if I had dream like powers, I know I’d do a lot of my regular LD things like flying, playing tricks on people, telekenesis, and so on. If my regular LD activities were murder and rape… ?

Hmm… well, the only forms of venting that seem to actually reduce pent up feelings are the angry kinds of venting for me, but I see what you mean.

(I don’t disagree with that–just sharing a thought that came to mind when I read it.)
I think people are “naturally” any thing you want them to be. People are naturally violent, naturally peaceful, naturally competitive, naturally cooperative, naturally serial killers, naturally good dancers.

I think most violence stems from instincts of survival and ‘imagined survival’ (protecting your children)–if a prime necessity is wanting, the brain will find a way to get it. It’s why humans still exist. But I also believe that violence, like most behavior, can readily be a learned trait. If you live in a peaceful tribal culture, the most “violence” you may ever witness or partake in is killing an animal for food. If you live in a propagandized, violence-ridden, paranoid country, there’s always a decent chance that there might be 18,000+ murders every year.

I, personally, do believe violence in media propagates violence in the real world (because of a few studies that may very well have inaccurate findings), but probably only very slightly compared to many other things–like how people perceive the real world in the first place (do you view the world as strictly evil and good? etc.). I believe indulging in violent fantasies when you feel the need to is plausibly healthy and possibly necessary. But pretending you lack violent feelings when you have them, or over-indulging them when you do, probably is more negative in the long run; just as ignoring/over-indulging in other emotions is dangerous in that you lose touch with reality.

Those are just my cursory thoughts though. And I don’t have much in the way of sources to back any of that up. I might be utterly wrong. Or I might just be reiterating the things people have already pointed out (I didn’t read quite a few posts).

I love the food chain from a human’s perspective:
exitwound.com/xw/images/misc … dchain.gif
(for some reason, you have to copy/paste this link)

Personally, I think you give us too much credit (just from the connotation I [inaccurately?] derived from your words, not anything you said). I’d say we’re more of the sad scavengers of the planet, willing to eat almost anything and everything as long as it can be digested (and sometimes even if it can’t be). That’s just my (cynical) opinion though. :tongue:

Now that IS a fact. I know even I have done it. It is hard sometimes to remember to word things so that it is clear that we are just stating our opinion’s. Just so that you know, I was not busting your chops about this. I just wanted to make it clear to any new people that you were just stating your opinion.

I do not feel bad about doing things in a dream because, I do not believe that dreams are in any way real. So from my point of view, noone including my self, is ever hurt by things done in a LD.

Neither would I.

I do not believe that is true. Again bearing in mind my belief that nothing you do in a dream can or will hurt anyone. For example if I believed that it was possible to harm a real being in a dream I would not do it. In fact there are a lot of things I would not do in a LD if I believed they were real.

Finally, I do not think you should do anything on a regular basis in your LD’s. For example, I know from other posts that you and I enjoy one hobby in LD’s, flying. I enjoy flying more than anything but, if that was all I did in a LD I would miss out on so many other experiences. So I control my desire to fly all the time and think of other things to do.

I strongly believe in the saying that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. If I had absolute power in real life things would probably start out good. People would most likely love me. I would eliminate hunger, sickness, and all the other ills that plague humanity. I would create paradise. However I would not want such power because, in the end absolute power corrupts absolutely. I do not know what I would do.

It is not something that I recommend you make a habit of but, that is just me. I believe in allowing yourself to have a variety of experiences in a LD. However, ( I Believe) if you feel the need to vent or whatever in a LD it is ok to indulge yourself once in a while.

“-like how people perceive the real world in the first place (do you view the world as strictly evil and good? etc.).”

True that, I perceive the world as anti-me, and the same for my family and especially my locale… so… it makes me feel very animalistic at times.

No. Actually I don’t like the terms “good or evil”. But, in response to your question I think we are booth good and evil. Can’t really elaborate too much more without triggering a religious debate. I can discuss this further in the split religious topic if you want.

You can find that thread here:
https://community.ld4all.com/t/split-religious-debate-from-do-dcs-have-rights/10227/41

Er, well, that was a poorly worded hypothetical question–I should rephrase…

People who uphold a strict belief that everything is either good or evil, “Sacred” or “Satanic,” are much more susceptible to propaganda (“Taking the Risk out of Democracy,” Alex Carey), and are therefore more likely to commit violence (whether they believe it’s justified is ignored in this statement).

(Just to clarify what I mean by propaganda [though it’s probably unnecessary]: I’m using the definition of propaganda, in this instance, that refers to information or persuasive messages that lead this “listener” to believe the “speaker’s” beliefs virtually at face value; I differentiate information as objective statements with no moral/political implications which are both open to interpretation and open to decision.)

why not just create monsters to slay?
play D&D, read about it, create D&D monsters and slay them :smile:
be a paladin and slay evil dragons, be a mage and blow up goblins, or face of a balrog or whatever, why kill normal people in your dreams? but realy they are just a part of you mind, manifestations of your ego, feelings, and so on, so i guess killing them won’t harm anyone, but i guess you could get used to it, and kill someone IRL and feel no remorse over it…so there is a danger, so stick to monsters instead, or create DCs that can defend themselves at least…have a mage duell or something.

we dont get rid of our bad sided by looking to the heaven and thinking of angels, but by facing our dark sides, embracing them, and realize that they are a part of ourselves.
That is a problem with those who think they are perfect, and have no bad sides, god has spoken to them, and they are on a holy quest, they think everything they do is towards ultimate good, nobody is perfect and we all have flaws.
I guess those who have seen god, have just had a LD were they saw god.
Probably a self-fulfilling desire, to justify their visions, and desires…

Vae Victus

To a certain extent I do agree. Violence can be a learned trait however, even in the peaceful village you described I could see the occasional brawl over a girl, property or some other perceived wrong. By the same token in a village where people know nothing but hate and Violence. You will find some people who would not harm a fly.

As to the influence of violent media ( movies, games, etc) I have made my opinion on that clear in previous posts and it would just be redundant to repeat again here. Yes, media my be a factor but in my opinion a very insignificant factor.

LOL It is not funny I know but, I do agree that the term scavenger is proper title for many people. There are many people who just take/do what they want an the hell with the consequences. However, I do not think everyone deserves that title. Unfortunately, the scavengers have become masters of the planet ( or so they think ).

I completely agree with that.
I wrote previously in this thread:

I have often said that people should feel free to indulge in there dark side in lucid dreams once in a whileand not feel guilty about it. I believe it can be an effective way of venting and letting go of frustrations. However, I believe you should always keep your dreams like everything else in balance.

elmond

Interesting distinction !!! Now let me ask you a question. What’s the difference ??? Does not the dragon, goblin or ork have every right to live just as a “normal human” has. Sorry if I am shattering your illusion of right and wrong but, violence is violence regardless of the justification for it.

Just something to think about.

not if they attack me :smile:
and im a game fan, so goblins and orcs tend to be evil :smile:
so my dreams will be better off withouth them :content: