Could 2014 mean the end of humanity ?

A horse gallops majestically into the thread.

Neeeeeeeeeigh! Whinnnnnnny!

The horse stops galloping for a moment, and takes a bite of some nearby grass.

WHAM!! A meteor strikes the horse!

Dozens of people from all around run to the scene of the accident.

“Look, the horse is dead!” one of them cries.

Another hands out baseball bats to each of the people in the crowd.

“Let’s beat the hell out of it!” Everyone cheers.

Actually , there is a 1 in 909,000 chance of that happening .
But that doesn’t really matter anymore …
After reading some of your posts I realized that worrying about it is just gonna make it come quicker . Humans can control their own destinies , and that is what makes us different from all of the other races . I finally realized that we must live our lives now , without worrying about tomorrow … We must all be grateful for the simple fact that we live …
I sincerely thank all of you !

I see some redundancy. I think that calculation has some redundancy in it. I’m pretty sure there’s redundancy in there.

:wink:

I have heard that it is many comets out there who can crash with the earth.
So I don’t doubt that the earth will be destroyed by a comet.

I heard alot of stories like this except I hear the comet was oging to crash into earth in 2019

apparently some time in the near future a super volcano under yellow stone park is going to errupt… I wouldnt want to be there when that happens

:eh:

• Silva

No, there is nothing threatening Earth. There was one that originally was thought to hit earth in about 2020, but they recalculated it and discovered they were wrong and that it wouldn’t come close. There is a science foundation currently set aside for just the purpose of finding stuff that could hit Earth, and nothing is going to any time soon. Got this from Yahoo! News.

Are you suggesting that if we worry about a comet that somehow we are going to magically attract a comet to Earth?

They can only track the ones they find. What about a 100m diameter asteroid? If one was coming our way, the first signs would be a burning light in the sky, a big “BOOOM” followed by earthquakes. And a fresh crater somewhere.

It’s probably not a painful way to die thought. The kinetic energy would vaporise everything on “ground zero”.

Well the popular theory is that a comet was responsible for the extinction of the dinosaurs. If that theory is true and a comet hit the earth once then, it stands to reason that it could happen again.

If you think about how long that humans have lived on earth, how many astoroids(big enough to wory about) have hit earth?

They say the big ones come in cycles of about 70 (or something) million years. The whole solar system moves through a “rough area” in space that often. It’s time for that again “soon”. Last time was when the dinosaurs died, 65 million years ago. We will not live to see it.

But if you look up to the sky for a few hours you will probably see the trails of objects a few mm in diameter that burn up when they enter our atmosphere. These are mostly fragments from comets.

Meteorites that are big enough to survive the entry into atmosphere are less common, but the scientists still pick them up in places like antarctica where they are easy to spot in the snow. The most famous one was a rock called “ALH 84001”, from Mars that they first thought had fossils in it. A handful of cases of meteorites are reported each year. They are not dangerous thought, unless they hit you in the head :smile:

Someone in Canada I believe, had his/her car hit by a bigger meteorite, but survived. (I am not sure if it is an urban legend or not).

There is one crater in a desert somewhere that’s 30 000 or something years old. The rock was only a few meters in diameter,
but the crater is big. I remember seeing the picture in a book. Craters erode because of water and rain. Therefore it is hard for scientists to tell exactly how common they are.

From the NASA website:

Is the Earth Targeted for an Impact?

Not that we know of! None of the asteroids or comets discovered so far is on a collision course with Earth. However, we can’t speak for those that are not yet discovered. In principle, one of those could hit any time, but statistically the chances are very small.

:grin:

If the dinosaur theory is correct, one will be more than enough. Then if you figure all the other natural disasters that could and have hit the earth it is only a mater of time. However I think that we will wipe our selves out long before any natural disaster does it.

I’m not sure how many, but the Tunguska asteroid/comet is the most recent one. In 1908 a stone asteroid/comet caused an enormous blast above this isolated region in Siberia: instantly, 2,000km² of forests were destroyed. The seismic explosion was recorded all over Eurasia, and beautiful nightclouds were seen everywhere on the globe. If this meteorite had struck about 3 hours later, then it would have exploded above Moscow, killing millions.
And this was all caused by a small comet or asteroid of only 50 meters in diameter. So you can guess what would happen if an asteroid of a few kilometers in diameter would hit us…
But on the long term, a good asteroid blast isn’t such a bad thing. Just look at the past: from the five mass extinctions, at least 2 of them are contributed to asteroid blasts. If these catastrophic events didn’t occur, we probably wouldn’t exist nowadays. The Permian extinction for instance, which happened about 245 million years ago, was caused by a gigantic impact by a 15-20km comet or asteroid. About 90% (!) of all life on Earth died as a result, and it was the biggest mass extinction which ever happened, much bigger than the one which killed the dinosaurs. However, as a result of this massive dying, new animal and plant species could arise during the following era. Evolution did its job and life found a new way to express itself, through the arising of reptiles, mammals and birds. During the Cretaceous extinction, 66 million years ago, the dinosaurs were wiped out, and mammals and birds were given the chance to evolve into the majestic animals which they are today. If the dinosaurs weren’t wiped out, then humans didn’t have any chance to evolve.
Scientists have suggested a theory which explains the cycles of mass extinction: during these asteroid impacts, the sun moved through a dense cloud of gas and dust in the Milky Way. This triggered the release of an increased number of comets from the outer edges of the solar system to the inner planets. Hence, the increased possibility of big impacts on Earth and the resulting mass extinctions. Nowadays, we’re again moving towards such a cloud, but ofcourse this process takes ages, so don’t start to worry yet :smile:

Guys don’t forget that Armageddon in the Bible is a place! Where two main armies will collide.

Why do you mention this? Do you think it has anything to do with the point of impact of the next big asteroid which will wipe us all out? :smile:

I was trying to point out that according to the bible, we shouldn’t be afraid of an asteroid hitting us (which can happen in one year, in two years or in one thousand years) but from a world war 3, this will wipe out human life on the planet. The movie armageddon was falsly called with that name.

You’re definitely right about that…

just remembered, i heard somewhere that december 23rd, 2013 was the date of some kind of armageddon or something. dont know what, but i remember that date.

The word armageddon, although it is shown only once (or two times, which I doubt so) in the bible has caused many disputes. Actually no one knows what does it mean for sure, apart from the fact that IT IS a place. The apocalypse (which means the un-covering in greek) it is first written in old greek. The official etymology of Armageddon is the combination of the two words in Hebrew: har (mountain) and Megiddo (an often blood-spilled area in Israel), therefore the definition would be the mountain region of Megiddo. The only justification for this explanation is the fact that Megiddo is an ancient area, which was often seen as a big battle area. However, my thoughts about this case is, why didn’t John use the word Harmagiddo in greek instead of Armageddon, I mean it is easy to say it in greek. Second, there isn’t actually a mountain in Megiddo, just hills (unless they count as a mountain). Finally, armageddon can have another meaning in ancient greek: Arma=chariot + geddon=trap. So are we talking about a trap for chariots(tanks)? It has to be very big, are they building any big roads in asia at this time?
And something else about the date, 2012 has been mentioned in Maya findings, as the end of civilization.

Now, what i know for sure, Future can not be written down, although some people want to manipulate it and cause some things to happen. We are seeing a lot of tension in our times, but are these tensions happening for the benefit of some people? What I am saying is that we should do everything in our power to avoid any future world war and let peace prevail for the good of the human kind.