Meditating for lucid dreams? Will learning meditation help?

I was going to start meditation and also wondered if it could help me have more LDs…oh yeah, does anybody have a guide to meditation or reccopmmend some good books onn the subject.

well duno if this helps, but my bro does meditation and he aint had any LD’s yet but u neva no, he doesnt try to LD so wateva…

also here r a couple of links 4 meditation :cool: hope this is helpfull :grin:

home.att.net/~meditation/MeditationHandbook.html

learningmeditation.com/room.htm

Yes, meditation can be a big help with lucid dreaming. So can self hypnosis.

Many of the WILD techniques involve some sort of meditation. Also, meditation is a great help with clearing your thoughts and focusing your intention to “recognize you are dreaming while dreaming.”

If you do a search on this site you can find more posts and info about meditation.

Yup, a major part of meditation is affirmation, which is what WILD is. It’s repeating a phrase in your mind, and making your mind and your body believe it. I’ve listened to many meditation tapes and they tell you to repeat a phrase like “I am at peace”, or something like that and by doing so in a relaxed meditation state, after 15 minutes of this you will feel more happy and calm.

Meditation has many benefits over the years. The practice is also an essential for anything, including LDing.

If you wish something ‘more’ specific with lucid dreaming, I would recommend Hemi-Sync The Gateway Experience I am still testing out its effects on my WILD, will take another few months.

Good luck with it Sleepy! Keep at it, over time you evolve and posture, breathing, focus, peace etc. all improve :smile:

hey pilot dude, im using hemi sync aswell but i have not noticed any affects yet

do you go into any trance type things when you listen or does anything happen at all

hi dare devil

I’m returning to it from the start (F3) since I think it might have had something to do with amazing WILD ability I once had (including the ability to feel vibrations) for a while after having stoped and focused just on meditation.

trance wise, now I do feel a bit of F3 and at F10 my whole body is very relaxed, and my focus can easily wonder away from being in my room. if at all tired, it is easy to ‘click out’ and get lost in a mental dream (more unconscoius than a daydream). I have hard time napping, and if I’m exhaused enough at F10 I can actually fall asleep.

he says they are only training exercises and tools for you to use. expecting something to happen can become self defeating over time, so enjoy whatever benefits you get and good luck on your journey :cool:

Well, it’s caused me to have lucid dreams - I did a short meditation course at a local Buddhist Centre and started meditating every day (just for about 15 minutes a day). After about a couple of months, out of the blue, I had my first lucid dream. (I had no prior knowledge of lucid dreams and hadn’t been trying to have them - I’ve only become interested in them after this first experience). Since then, I’ve not used any techniques like MILD or WILD or whatever but have just continued meditating and I’ve continued to have lucid dreams fairly regularly (approximately every other week, I’d guess - I don’t keep records). If you combined meditation with another technique, I guess you could probably get more frequent LDs. I mainly do the ‘Mindfulness of Breathing’ technique and sometimes the ‘Metta Bhavana’. You can read about them both at wildmind.org/ (Although they have online courses that you have to pay for, you can access loads of info through their website and learn the techniques without subscribing to a course).

By trying to just focus in on the breath and ignore any other thoughts/distractions, you are relaxing your mind/slowing down your brainwaves while staying aware/conscious at the same time and I think that helps you with LD-ing. I do find I often get distracted while trying to do this - sometimes, after a while, my mind will start thinking about something which is completely nonsensical/almost dream-like and then my mind will suddenly remember what I’m supposed to be doing but initially I’ll think that what I was thinking about is actually somehow connected with what I’m supposd to be doing. Then I’ll realise that no, I am just supposed to be focusing on the breath and these thoughts are all just completely irrelevant distractions which I’ve allowed myself to get carried away with - and then I pull back to the ‘real situation’ of focusing on the breath again. Don’t know if I’ve explained that very well but I think that experience is useful in becoming lucid too. In a dream I’ll just be going along with the flow of the dream, accepting everything as real and then I suddenly have a trigger and think, ‘no, hang on a minute, this isn’t real’ and bring myself round to the real situation, that I’m dreaming.

A few times when I’ve been meditating, I’ve seen images in front of my eyes - completely vivid scenes, like I sometimes see when I’m falling asleep but lasting longer, so I guess that’s a symptom of my mind relaxing but not falling asleep/losing conciousness?