Coma's?

are people in Comas technically in a suspended dream?

and would it be possible (in your opinion) for someone who was a lucid dreamer to become lucid in a coma and therefore live out a huge dream?

this was sparked by the ‘‘slowing down time’’ topic in the ‘‘theory of lucidity’’ section

• Silva

I know there are different states of coma
but from what I think, that’s an extreme situation, not a state where you can REM happily

I don’t think there is any way to answer this. According to everything I have read, people in a coma don’t remember if they dreamed or not.

I’ve read a number of stories about people who have experienced long and vivid dreams while technically comatose. I just assumed your mind (while unable to wake) still followed the basic sleep cycle pattern, initiating REM every hour and a half, but maintaining long cycles due to the uninterrupted process. Then again, I’ve also heard people explain the difference between casual sleep and deep coma in a way that kinda discounts that possibility.

If anyone knows what it’s like, or has some experience of their own, it would be interesting to read.

Yeh. Always wondered about this. I saw something once where someone was in a coma, and could hear the people outside talking about how he had hit his head in a swimming pool and might be paralyzed, and he thought “poor guy,” without realising that it was him.

I guess there are diffefrent states. I won’t be deliberately knocking myself into any comas in the foreseeable future.

any one here ever see an old kids show called ‘‘Oddysey’’ or something. It was about a kid in a coma and in his coma he was in a whole other world, and his friends were in it. It was like one massive realistic dream.

strange

• Silva

Atheist

I am curious where you read this. I have not done any type of in-depth study of the topic. I just vaguely remember reading a few stories here and there where people woke from a coma and said they could not remember anything. Then again just because they did not remember dreaming does not prove the did not dream. I would also imagine it also depends on what type of coma you are in.

yeah that was a pretty cool show.

A while ago I kinda asked the same question: https://community.ld4all.com/t/coma-and-lding/7317

I think a coma is more like a delta sleep, but more unconscious. Technically it’s possible to become lucid during the delta sleep, but it’s extremely difficult to achieve. The state you’re in while lucid during delta sleep seems quite different than when you’re lucid during a dream or even NREM dreams (which happen during earlier stages of sleep). There are often no visuals, but it can be a profound experience, as I was being told :smile:

Also, here’s something I’ve found on the net which is related to the topic:

This sounds like some Vanilla Sky shit. That guy was in a coma and didn’t remember squat, anything’s possible at this point.

Well that was just a movie. It can’t hardly be used as proof one way or the other. Even if it were true, just because a person does not remember something does not mean that it did not happen. Now I have very good dream recall yet I am sure that I still do not remember every dream every night.

Most of what I have read (which is not a lot) is that people do not remember if they dreamed or not. Now lets look at a nights sleep for the average person. Someone who does not practice lucid dreaming or any thing dream related. Most people it seems remember very few if any dreams they have. However, we do know that they have them.

Even if it is true that people in a coma do not go into rem sleep that is still not conclusive because we do know that people can dream in NREM states.

I don’t think there will be any way to rule anything in or out at this point. We simply do not have enough facts to even form an educated guess about it. I have a feeling that it would be possible to have lucid dreams in a coma. I have no evidence to support this, just a feeling.

Good point.