The Simple Power of Intention

Hi all,

I simply have to write this email, because of the succes I have.

For some months ago I chose to stop doing any techniques, like RC, MILD, WILD, dream diary, etc. I chose to simply intend - and only intend.

I’m now able to have many lucid dreams every week - often several nights in a row.

At night, when I go to bed, I intend to be awake in my dreams. Maybe I say to myself: “Tonight, while I dream, I will know that I’m dreaming”, or, “Tonight I will be awake in my dreams”, or, “Tonight I will remember to become aware that I’m dreaming”.

It really doesn’t matter exactly what wording you use, as long as you’re intending to lucid dream. It’s the intention, that’s working, not the exact words.

If I wake at night, I just reinforce the intention.

Look, I’m not repeating my intention like a mantra, not at all! Maybe I say it five time to myself, while falling asleep, maybe only one. But I do it after I’m lying in my bed waiting to fall asleep. And again if I awake in the night.

And that’s it! Not even dream diaring.

But it’s important not to expect results over night. You have to be patient, building up your dream awareness night after night, week after week. But it will blossom, it will shine. And in the end, you will have lots of lucid dreams.

Even though you won’t drop your other techniques, you can still do the intending - why not?! What does it cost? Nothing - just intend!

Regards,
Thomas

i’ve had no luck whatsoever with any of the techniques on this site, or even in Laberge’s book. I’m going to give this a try tonight, i’ve been ‘intending’ all day, and i’m going to continue intending when i’m actually in bed, about to go to sleep. do you say it out aloud, or just to yourself?

differnt techniques work for different people, and after you learn how to LD, just intending may have a great effects.

It is probably a good idea for n00bs to try various teks.

madhatter: trying too hard is not good.

MILD is kind of a superficial form of this “intending”; you’re right to focus on the intention rather than on a mantra.

I’ve been intending every night since I signed up here (3 days ago) and I’ve had lds every night except last night,

I’ve been intending since I first found out about LD’s, and havent even came close to getting one.
Maybe I just need to try harder though…

Lol yeah some newbies will lose so much sleep because they are trying and not sleeping…

A successfull MILD relies on a strong intention, not on whatever mantra you may be using with it. I’ve actually been trying the same thing the last couple of days.

The way I see it, using MILD is about the same as remembering anything you need to do in everyday life. Like remembering to let the cat out, or remembering not to forget your keys on your way out etc. And I hardly think anyone would use a mantra for these things. Normally, you’d just realise the importance of remembering these things, and keep it in the back of your head. Even more important; The more critical it is for you to remember something, the greater the odds are for you remembering it. I suppose this is one of the reasons to why enthusiasm seems to give a boost to LDs.

So one should be really critical about getting LD’s. And then you have a greater chance for getting lucid.
I guess that’s about right because if I really have to get up in the morning, I usually wake up before the alarmclock.

I’m going to try that tonight. I will convince myself that I will get a LD or something really bad will happen tomorrow. I just realised that this is starting to sound like PILD.
Hmm…

I’ve noticed this strong effect too. Nowadays I’ve practically given up on most techniques, except for the occasional RC. But when I really want a LD, I strengthen my intention to the max. Most of the times, this is enough to get a LD. It’s an amazingly strong power really :smile:

“Pessimism Induced Lucid Dream”?

either that or punishment induced lucid dream

I believe that Intention plays a strong role in lucid dreaming success. When you really think about it that is all MILD is. I do think however, the closer you are to falling asleep when you remind yourself of the intention, the better your chances are for success.

Milod 789:

And not only is the intention stronger the more close you are to falling asleep. Also: The more closer you are to dreaming… why it’s a good thing to reinforce the intention at night, when you awake.

Yes, to nice points to remember, while doing the intention-work.

Thomas

I do not like to put down other peoples techniques as I know everyone is different. But, PILD sounds a lot like the aversion therapy used to help people quit smoking and drinking. It was also used on people with developmental disabilities as well. This type of therapy is no longer used because it was proven to be ineffective in the long term. Many believe it was never effective at all.

how do you mean to intend, I am just curious. DO you mean to just remove doubt, and ‘know’ that you ‘will’ have a lucid dream, or just to remind yourself?

Basically yes, you simply tell yourself very firmly and confidently that you will “recognize you are dreaming” (or words to that effect). That is the hole point to MILD or the power of resolution technique etc. You want to remember to do something (realize you are dreaming) at a later time ( the next time you are dreaming).

I believe intention is the key!
Its the only way to go. Just make a note. Intend to have a lucid dream whenever it pops into your head.

I intend to have one tonight.